• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Utah and Colorado Skiing

I did a 4 day epic this year for telluride. Was like 395 vs 895 paying for 4 days at the resort.

Telluride over super bowl weekend. Can't remember where I'm staying, going with a group and just looped in a room with them.

Have a ton of travel in January. Might hit up Winter Park again with work people in early/mid Feb and then do a 70th birthday trip with my dad in early March. Sounds like he prefers Beaver Creek.

My heart pines for the Cottonwoods, though.

Telluride over super bowl weekend. Can't remember where I'm staying, going with a group and just looped in a room with them.
Nice. Should be decent by then and Prospect should be open. I would suggest the Brown Dog for the game. Check with Diver, he may have some insider info.

@DeacDiggler are any of your college kids going? I still get the student discount d it’s stupid good. Like $850 for the full pass.

For you out west skiers, we’re looking at taking a family trip out west next season - we’ve been going to snowshoe and want something a bit more.

Thoughts on most affordable place for a family of 5 (youngest would be 14 - so probably all adult/going adult lift tickets)? Also, how much is this going to cost us?

For you out west skiers, we’re looking at taking a family trip out west next season - we’ve been going to snowshoe and want something a bit more.

Thoughts on most affordable place for a family of 5 (youngest would be 14 - so probably all adult/going adult lift tickets)? Also, how much is this going to cost us?
This is going to be dependent on alot of factors, including length of trip. Alot of mountains now have really increased daily lift ticket prices in order to get you to purchase one of the two main season passes, Epic or Ikon. Anything more than 4 days, you may want to look into season passes, especially for students. Other factors are flight costs rental car vs. shuttle, and dining out options vs eating in, which will depend on your accommodations. Now all of that aside, Copper Mountain, Taos, Keystone, and A Basin all tend to be on the more economical side.

Copper is more reasonably priced than most other places around there. A Basin has no hotels, so that doesn't work well.

lodging and lift tickets are the most expensive part of the trip. You can watch flight prices and get flights for $400/person; if you have a corporate discount you can rent a nice SUV for $500-600 for a week.

Flights: $2k
Rental car: $500
Lift tickets: $5k
Condo rental: depends, but you can probably find something for $3-5k for the week
Rentals (if needed): $2k for the family

Total: 12-15k

In UT, Brighton is best bang for buck imo. LadyYB’s parents paid $500 total for two tickets on 12/30 & two on 1/1. By no means cheap, but it is affordable. Brighton does not really have mountain side lodging but even if they did, it’d be more economical to stay in SLC and drive up. 35-45 min depending on what time you wish to leave. We’ve not seen any traffic this year. If you don’t want to rent a car, there are ski shuttle services & ski busses that are ok.

Brighton as a mountain is pretty good imo. It’s probably our favorite to take visitors to unless they really want to fork out some money for DV or Snowbasin. Brighton has a good amount of terrain for all levels, tons of trees to play in if that’s your thing, and you can find powder stashes for days after a storm.

Also if you stay in SLC & chose to not have a car, public transportation is easy enough to get around the city

Back