• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Utah and Colorado Skiing

@YoungBuck95 or anyone else - easy enough to take the bus from Ogden or Layton to Snowbasin (looking quickly, I didn't see busses from SLC)? Don't want to rent a car. Looking at a kind of last minute 4 day trip out to SLC next week and want to try somewhere new (i.e., not Park City, Deer Valley, Alta, or Snowbird). Snowbasin is more intriguing to me than Brighton or Solitude and a 3 day lift pass is only $355 for the days I'd be skiing (only $35 more than Brighton).

@YoungBuck95 or anyone else - easy enough to take the bus from Ogden or Layton to Snowbasin (looking quickly, I didn't see busses from SLC)? Don't want to rent a car. Looking at a kind of last minute 4 day trip out to SLC next week and want to try somewhere new (i.e., not Park City, Deer Valley, Alta, or Snowbird). Snowbasin is more intriguing to me than Brighton or Solitude and a 3 day lift pass is only $355 for the days I'd be skiing (only $35 more than Brighton).
We’ve not taken the bus so I can’t speak to ease of it. I do know with the busses that service the canyons, you should get on at one of the first or second stops or else the bus will be full by the time it reaches the park and ride at the mouth of the canyon. I imagine it is similar for the 675 bus but not as bad since there’s only 1 resort.

Snowbasin is awesome, some very fun terrain and very very nice facilities. We love lapping Strawberry as it’s typically less crowded.

We’ve not taken the bus so I can’t speak to ease of it. I do know with the busses that service the canyons, you should get on at one of the first or second stops or else the bus will be full by the time it reaches the park and ride at the mouth of the canyon. I imagine it is similar for the 675 bus but not as bad since there’s only 1 resort.

Snowbasin is awesome, some very fun terrain and very very nice facilities. We love lapping Strawberry as it’s typically less crowded.
That side of the mountain looks awesome on the trail map. Looks like some good stuff on the opposite side too, up John Paul.

Not yet. It’s on our list to ski but hard to justify dropping the $ on a day pass when we’ve got 28 days at 5 resorts + unlimited at solitude.

Have you skied Powder Mountain @YoungBuck95? My #1 place in Utah, and maybe the country, I want to go that I haven't skied.
I've skied Snowbasin and PowMow several times and will be there in March. After a bunch of ski trips elsewhere, my group concluded that these two places had some of the best skiing/value/ease of getting to of all the places we had tried. I highly recommend. But don't tell anyone. PowMow only has one high speed lift though and not a lot of grooming. So some lifts can be really slow and some slopes can be icy. But you can also get into some incredible areas in the trees where you don't see or anyone for like 30 minutes.

I also provide you this information despite the Buckeye-Wolverine rivalry.

Not SLC based but I will be there for hoops and pow if that happens. Epic trip combo

IMG_5436.jpeg

@YoungBuck95 - Ski bus from Layton was super easy if anyone ever asks. Getting on before the park and rides is definitely the right call - even on a Wed, it got crowded once the park and rides were picked up. Lunch/beer break at Strawberry patio. No new snow, but some nice fresh corduroy this morning and found some little powder stashes in the glades.

Heck yeah, enjoy! OpenSnow says snowbasin should be getting 4” tomorrow so should be some fresh powder if you’re still around!

View attachment 7782
Lunch view from Needles Lodge. Visibility was terribad yesterday, but the fresh snow was nice. Pretty day for the most part today.
We’ve found visibility to have the widest margin of error at snowbasin. We almost stick to bluebird days there. It gets really flat there. Glad you enjoyed though. It’s got the best facilities, on par with DV.

We’ve found visibility to have the widest margin of error at snowbasin. We almost stick to bluebird days there. It gets really flat there. Glad you enjoyed though. It’s got the best facilities, on par with DV.
Just spending 3 days there, I feel like it ran the gamut. A little sun poked through on Wed, but mostly flat light, then very flat (plus snow and dense fog (not complaining about the snow part though)) yesterday, and then pretty sunny with just a few spots/times of flat light this morning - I actually changed into a full sun lens this afternoon.

Facilities were really top notch and while I’m sure it can get crowded, other than waiting for the gondola right at 9am, I had zero lift lines all 3 days. The super long blue groomer from the top of Strawberry gondola, Elk something?, is probably second only to one at Big Sky in terms of length that I’ve skied - my legs were definitely burning by the end.

Last edited:
Having an absolute blast with the family this weekend! The conditions are great and the girls are skiing really well!
a7caccbe7f65269186cb350422a1e4e7.jpg

What a fun weekend! Conditions at Winter Park were really good for the most part and we had a blast as a family.

The kids are getting pretty adventurous with their skiing and hitting some terrain I’m not super comfortable in so I’m wondering if anyone has recommendations for radios or other devices so we can stay in touch? I might even stick air tags in their jackets for our next trip in two weeks, unless someone else has any ideas.

Don't they have phones ? The Slopes app is pretty decent for GPS and keeps track of your activity on the mountain for the ret of your life.

Back