• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UVA Lacrosse Murder Trial

Apparently, the defense attorneys asked potential jurors if they had strong feelings about using intoxication as a defense.

Uh... intoxication isn't a defense.
It can be for mens rea for specific intent crimes.

Yeah. That's right, and now I feel stupid. The only play here is for manslaughter not murder.

This bastard should be beaten to death himself. Instead, I'm sure the bitch will get 10 years and be back on the streets. Ridiculous..

I kind of feel bad for his parents. They gave the kid a great chance at success, and he threw it away.

This bastard should be beaten to death himself. Instead, I'm sure the bitch will get 10 years and be back on the streets. Ridiculous..

According to the news he's looking pretty frail after 21 months in jail.

According to the news he's looking pretty frail after 21 months in jail.

Yeah, it'll do that to rich young white boys arrested for murder. I bet his base could really use some work too.

Like I said, this case is about whether he does years, decades, or life.

I kind of feel bad for his parents. They gave the kid a great chance at success, and he threw it away.

Not me at all. His father sounds like a complete rich asswipe who raised a completely spoiled brat who was never told no. The only good thing about the dad is 2 very nice and good defense attorneys will be making a pile of cash off of him.

Yeah. I got to see them work a lot when I was working in Cville after my 1L year.

ETA: It also seems like every time there is a case that makes national news they're involved.

My grandparents live right around the corner from his parent's house. It only took them a few days after the murder they finally got around to moving the lacrosse goal out of their (small) yard to not cause more attention to them.

Also, every single person that goes/went to Landon is a terrible human being. It's a fact.

My grandparents live right around the corner from his parent's house. It only took them a few days after the murder they finally got around to moving the lacrosse goal out of their (small) yard to not cause more attention to them.

Also, every single person that goes/went to Landon is a terrible human being. It's a fact.

I only know a few guys that went there, but they all fall into this category. And most were LAX players. They are all truly horrible people.

No. It's between 1st degree, felony murder, 2nd degree and manslaughter. Death penalty isn't on the table. No Cville jury would give it anyway, especially in a domestic. Hell, we had a domestic stabbing jury give a guy just 15 years for stabbing his wife like 15-20 times just a couple of weeks ago. Juries here have a reputation for very light sentencing. This is why the defense prolly never thought twice about trying it here rather than moving it due to all the pretrial attention.

And the reason it's never settled is the City CA prolly hasn't offered anything less than 1st, and the defense prolly hasn't wanted to plea to more than manslaughter. There are good attorneys on both sides of this so it should be well tried.

Juries do not determine how long someone is in prison; they only determine innocence or guilt. Judges have the wonderful job of determining how long someone stays locked up.

Huge difference.

Juries do not determine how long someone is in prison; they only determine innocence or guilt. Judges have the wonderful job of determining how long someone stays locked up.

Huge difference.

VA Code § 19.2-295. Ascertainment of punishment.

A. Within the limits prescribed by law, the term of confinement in the state correctional facility or in jail and the amount of fine, if any, of a person convicted of a criminal offense, shall be ascertained by the jury, or by the court in cases tried without a jury.

B. In any case in which a jury has fixed a sentence as provided in this chapter and the sentence is modified by the court pursuant to the authority contained within this chapter, the court shall file with the record of the case a written explanation of such modification including the cause therefor.

Huge difference.

You realize you just told an attorney who is licensed in VA that he was wrong on sentencing, right?

Back