• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UVA Lacrosse Murder Trial

VA Code § 19.2-295. Ascertainment of punishment.

A. Within the limits prescribed by law, the term of confinement in the state correctional facility or in jail and the amount of fine, if any, of a person convicted of a criminal offense, shall be ascertained by the jury, or by the court in cases tried without a jury.

B. In any case in which a jury has fixed a sentence as provided in this chapter and the sentence is modified by the court pursuant to the authority contained within this chapter, the court shall file with the record of the case a written explanation of such modification including the cause therefor.

... The hell? I thought in criminal court it was always the judge.

Lol, my b.

You realize you just told an attorney who is licensed in VA that he was wrong on sentencing, right?

Of course I didn't, I have no idea who he is. I didn't know that states could even choose who determines the sentence... I have always been told throughout my education that it is always the judge.

'Preciate that Wake Forest edumacation lol.

... The hell? I thought in criminal court it was always the judge.

Lol, my b.

Of course I didn't, I have no idea who he is. I didn't know that states could even choose who determines the sentence... I have always been told throughout my education that it is always the judge.

'Preciate that Wake Forest edumacation lol.

There were a couple of cases within the last decade or two which substantiated the jury's right to criminal sentencing IIRC from my limited Con Law class

CBS19Huguely CBS19 Huguely Trial

RT @RachelCBS19: 80 seats in courtroom reserved for general public. People started lining up at 6am to get a seat for Huguely trial.

Wow.

Precise moment that this guy's life reached its peaked.

l11t22hb.gif

dagger

yeah, he played for Landon HS outside of DC. Real snobby fancypants school. They are pretty awesome in lacrosse though. Looks like they were playing Georgetown Prep (or another equally snobby school) and Huguely won the game for them.

Both schools (and the other snobby prep schools in the area) are always loaded with lacrosse talent.

They have their jury of 12 with 2 alternates picked and are beginning opening statements. Not bad. I thought it might take more than the 2 days they had allotted for picking a jury. Might get this whole thing done by the end of next week.

yeah, he played for Landon HS outside of DC. Real snobby fancypants school. They are pretty awesome in lacrosse though. Looks like they were playing Georgetown Prep (or another equally snobby school) and Huguely won the game for them.

Both schools (and the other snobby prep schools in the area) are always loaded with lacrosse talent.

Hey, I went to a snobby prep school in the area loaded with lacrosse talent and I'm not screwed up. Probably because I didn't play lacrosse though. Those guys are a little off.

No one ever answered. What were the threatening emails that he sent her that were trying to be suppressed or excluded?

Pretty much. Huguely was actually the one who assisted on the goal, after beating his man and forcing the slide. The guy who scored the winner is named Stoddie Nibley. No joke. It was something like quadruple OT in the IAC finals.

Last edited:

Yeah. And he broke and entered and then stole her computer after the act, and the logical assumption is that he did so because he knew they'd find incriminating emails on it. That's 1 of the most damning facts against him here in weighing whether to find him guilty of 1st, 2nd or manslaughter. He broke in, killed her and stole her computer to cover his tracks.

I don't do criminal law at all but have friends who do (both sides). And a few have commented how our CA charging him with felony murder was excellent strategy. You'd normally see a felony murder charge where you may have had an arguably accidental killing where the original intent was the commission of a different felony. Typically a robbery gone bad where you want to charge all participants in the robbery with murder. Here the other felony was more of an afterthought as opposed to being the underlying crime. But still, even if a jury was closely weighing voluntary manslaughter, the felony murder charge is going to be hard to get around. Breaking and entering and stealing a computer is a felony, and the commission of a homicide (whatever the level of intent) while committing the felony should be a no brainer felony murder conviction. I'm not sure, though, what the sentencing guidelines are in VA for felony murder - whether it's the 5-40 it is for 2nd or whether it's whatever the number of years 1st is.

CA = Commonwealth's Attorney. It took me a second, and I worked for a circuit court judge.

C'mon DeacCav, I know you, as I, do mostly civil but you need to hang with the rest of my firm which does mostly crim. def. I still think DA first and CA later.

Back