• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UVA Lacrosse Murder Trial

Well, she was a lax player, but defs a very attractive girl. Rich white boy lax bro kills attractive athlete in a drunken rage at rich white boy university founded by TJ. Pretty much no chance this wasn't getting major headlines.

Yeah, the jury has been out about 6 hours now. Keep checking for updates but nothing yet, other than the jury had pizza for lunch. Talked to a friend who works for the CA's office yesterday, and she said Dave Chapman did an excellent job with the prosecution and had a great closing on Saturday. And the defense had a bit of a lackluster and rambling closing. Also said had a good feeling about 2 of the 14 potential jurors. They randomly trimmed that to 12 today so I don't know who made the cut. Some press person tried to interview 1 of the alternates outside the courthouse this a.m. and Judge Hogshire was none too happy about that.

Second degree is what I figured. Wonder how long the sentencing will take.

Convicted of grand larceny too right?

Murder aside, he really fucked up by stealing that laptop.

Stealing the laptop is what put him on the hook for felony murder.

He was convicted of grand larceny. I'm assuming 25-30 in consecutive sentences.

Jury recommending 26 years. 25 for murder, one for larceny. Sentencing set for 4/16.

Ironically, the Uva lacrosse murder trial will go to sentencing on the anniversary of the VT shooting.

He obviously wasn't in his right mind in any sense, but yeah, stealing the laptop made him look like he was trying to cover his tracks to hide emails. And that he left her for dead, whether he thought she was or not.

I'm happy with 26. Was a tiny bit scared he'd get manslaughter, though I thought he'd get 2nd. But was more scared that the sentence would be in the 10-20 range. The fact that the jury was out for 9 hours and the 26 years leads me to believe there were at least a couple of jurors who were thinking 1st degree and that no one was thinking manslaughter. Chapman has to be happy with the result considering the jurisdiction where this was tried.

I would prefer an execution for perps like him but I guess that would have taken another 20 yrs with appeals.

I would prefer an execution for perps like him but I guess that would have taken another 20 yrs with appeals.

VA is 1 of the more active death penalty states. Which is why Muhammad was tried here instead of MD, even though most of his murders were committed in MD - much broader categories for capital murder. But most domestic type homicides don't even fit into the aggravating factors necessary for a capital murder charge and will usually result in 2nd degree convictions. As for death penalty appeals to run their course, that usually takes several years, not 20. Did Fox News tell you it takes 20 years?

VA gets it done. They already executed John Allen Muhammad - 3 years ago.

Anyone know if the prosecution offered a plea to 2d degree prior to trial?

Anyone know if the prosecution offered a plea to 2d degree prior to trial?

Pretty sure no. Chapman wasn't in a position where he could offer less than 1st. And Huguely's defense was gunning for manslaughter. Really a classic 2nd based on fact pattern, but neither side was in a position to go there in terms of a plea.

Back