• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Vegetarianism

not really. just go to your closest earthfare or whole foods, and pick up some nutritional yeast (note: this is not yeast. nutritional yeast is an entirely different thing. sometimes it's in the bulk section. sometimes it's in a container that looks like one of those plastic parmesan cheese containers). it kind of tastes like parmesan cheese (...kind of). i find that i just add it to things like chilis or lasagnas or things like that where it's easily combined with other things. i have friends who just sprinkle it on top of veggies, and i've tried that before, but to me it just doesn't taste good enough for it to be a featured part of any meal. i'd rather mix it in well with something.

and ipity, i was vegetarian for 7 years. i actually put on 15 pounds during that time though, and the reason was because i wasn't intentional about what i was eating. what happened was that i wasn't meal planning well, so i wound up just making noodles or something for dinner, and without the added protein, i wound up very hungry shortly after. so then i'd eat chips and salsa instead of something else healthy...and of course then i put on weight.

if you're going to go vegetarian, make sure it's actually a vegetarian lifestyle. not just a meatless one. you'll need to start relying on cooking more instead of eating out. it's very difficult to eat out frequently when you have strict diet limitations. things like sweet potatoes have a lot of calories and are pretty good as a base for your diet so that you're not lacking a lot of calories. find a good source of iron (cooked spinach is best). add nutritional yeast to everything. make sure you aren't going to wind up deficient in the vitamins/minerals that typically come from meat (iron and b12 are the biggest ones). soups/stews/pasta dishes are generally pretty good ways to get the calories you need without it being crappy food.

good luck! i occasionally think about going vegetarian again, but with my activity level, i just find it very, very difficult to get the calories i need without meat. done right it can be a really great thing for your health. but it takes a lot of effort to do it right, so make sure you're taking the time to meal plan and research.

This is exactly my point, I'm extremely active and I noticed a surge in energy when I started eating fish again. I was a raw vegan about a year ago but I felt anemic.

Yes you can get b12 from yeast but it is more efficient to just go ahead and eat eggs and other complete proteins.

Raw vegan diet is incredible though, it will help detox your body and get all of the garbage out.

Not all vegans are created equal. The vegans that have a high intake of soy can be fairly unhealthy but the raw vegan groups can thrive if they plan it properly.

And your random hunger probably came from eating grains. They can block calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc absorption.

Last edited:
This is exactly my point, I'm extremely active and I noticed a surge in energy when I started eating fish again. I was a raw vegan about a year ago but I felt anemic.

Yes you can get b12 from yeast but it is more efficient to just go ahead and eat eggs and other complete proteins.

Raw vegan diet is incredible though, it will help detox your body and get all of the garbage out.

Not all vegans are created equal. The vegans that have a high intake of soy can be fairly unhealthy but the raw vegan groups can thrive if they plan it properly.

And to your random hunger probably came from eating grains. They can block calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc absorption.

ftr, it wasn't "random" hunger. i just wasn't getting enough calories, so i was filling up on junk. and i don't know where this sudden paranoia about grains came from, but it's not evil if it's eaten in moderation (like everything else). i personally cannot handle my activity level without grains, and my dietitian specifically told me to make sure i was eating plenty of them. like everything there is the "right" kind and the "wrong" kind. but done well, grains can be very good for you.

ftr, it wasn't "random" hunger. i just wasn't getting enough calories, so i was filling up on junk. and i don't know where this sudden paranoia about grains came from, but it's not evil if it's eaten in moderation (like everything else). i personally cannot handle my activity level without grains, and my dietitian specifically told me to make sure i was eating plenty of them. like everything there is the "right" kind and the "wrong" kind. but done well, grains can be very good for you.

To each his own but my digestion issues have gone away since removing them and my skin is better too.

I think you can get plenty of fiber from veggies.

I've been a vegetarian for about two years. Eating out isn't that hard. The only time I had any trouble was at a steakhouse for a birthday dinner. Maybe it's easier in a big city, but vegetarianism is mainstream enough now.

i guess i phrased it wrong. it is nearly always possible to find SOMETHING to eat at any restaurant. the problem is that a lot of places (especially in smaller towns. winston isn't exactly the same as chicago in terms of food options) only have 1 or 2 options that are meat-free. i personally would rather cook at home than be forced into a salad every time i went out to eat. but if you're ok with only having an option or two every time, then it's totally do-able when you go out.

this is my whole way of living. i dislike all these new diets that just cut huge swaths of good-for-you foods. atkins diet comes to mind. i'm super skeptical of anyone who tells me fruit and whole-grain bread is bad for me (or anyone).

Excellent detox book

462567.jpg

Who said fruit was bad? And whole-grain bread contains gluten which is highly addictive and blocks proper absorption of key minerals.

http://imacupuncture.com/2011/11/13/even-organic-whole-wheat-bread-is-bad-for-you/

it only blocks proper absorption of key minerals if you actually have celiac's or another gluten intolerance. and nobody here is advocating for people with celiac's to eat gluten. obviously they have to avoid it. pleeeeeeease stop using websites that have no science to back them up as your support.

Everyone to an extent is gluten sensitive. And that site and that book I posted are very credible. Don't knock it until you actually read it.

lots of people say fruit is bad because it's too much sugar and not enough fiber, etc. to compensate.

moderation and balance, imo, are the foundation to a sound diet.

lots of people say fruit is bad because it's too much sugar and not enough fiber, etc. to compensate.

moderation and balance, imo, are the foundation to a sound diet.

Fruit is definitely good sugar, most processed sugars are bad.

I do agree moderation in balance is good, there is nothing wrong with cheating every now and then but the raw vegan diet and paleo diet are correct in pointing out that diets that focus more on the basic necessities lead to the best results.

this is my whole way of living. i dislike all these new diets that just cut huge swaths of good-for-you foods. atkins diet comes to mind. i'm super skeptical of anyone who tells me fruit and whole-grain bread is bad for me (or anyone).

nutella-450.jpg

ok pirate, i just read that site you linked w/ info on wheat.

a note: she said her husband felt like crap after going all week w/out wheat and then coming back to wheat with.... DONUTS. this might have some more credibility if he felt badly with, say, whole-wheat pasta.

Also, I'm not at all shocked to hear that wheat has a strong correlation with heart disease and obesity, especially when you consider foods that have wheat in them. you tell someone to cut wheat out of their diet and they subsequently cut out donuts, pizza, processed desserts, etc. wheat is very difficult to isolate as a sole source of problems, so i find these results to be relatively meaningless.

Everyone to an extent is gluten sensitive. And that site and that book I posted are very credible. Don't knock it until you actually read it.

it's not possible to debate something with someone who makes claims like that everybody is sensitive to gluten. the medical community hasn't even figured out if ANYBODY is sensitive to gluten except for the people with celiac's. there isn't a way to test for it (yet). all that is happening is that people like you are saying "hey, i cut out pasta and now i don't have acne. pasta must have been causing it!" the medical community has no idea yet, so how do you think that some book that claims to have all the answers is actually a credible book?

damn straight.

it helps that i swim, bike or run 6 out of 7 days a week. (shocker!! exercise is good for you)

No doubt, I just like to post that picture when you talk about moderation.

ok pirate, i just read that site you linked w/ info on wheat.

a note: she said her husband felt like crap after going all week w/out wheat and then coming back to wheat with.... DONUTS. this might have some more credibility if he felt badly with, say, whole-wheat pasta.

Also, I'm not at all shocked to hear that wheat has a strong correlation with heart disease and obesity, especially when you consider foods that have wheat in them. you tell someone to cut wheat out of their diet and they subsequently cut out donuts, pizza, processed desserts, etc. wheat is very difficult to isolate as a sole source of problems, so i find these results to be relatively meaningless.

I will admit that I just pulled that website up out of the blue but that still doesn't take away from the fact that eating gluten products puts extra pressure on your body to break down the minerals in those type of foods.

I would even venture to say that most digestion problems in this country are because of gluten and certain meats too.

Most people don't know how to properly chew their food though, this is definitely part of the problem.

But I personally recommend that anyone interested in becoming more healthy and interested in anti-aging diets read the Heal Yourself 101 book by Markus Rothkranz.

Back