• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Vegetarianism

111.gif

haha, just because?
Hawk, do you know many vegan or veg runners? I've been surprised at how many I meet.

mostly just because. the GF is also a vegetarian so I find some of the discussion interesting.

I know a couple vegan runners, one actually just finished 8th overall female at the Leadville 100 Ultra this past weekend.

Scott Jurek (super famous ultrarunner) is vegan and his book talks a little about that journey, including some vegan recipes for endurance athletes. A great read as well

Vegan, but I keep it on the dl- been vegetarian/vegan for a long time, since I was kid.

mostly just because. the GF is also a vegetarian so I find some of the discussion interesting.

I know a couple vegan runners, one actually just finished 8th overall female at the Leadville 100 Ultra this past weekend.

Scott Jurek (super famous ultrarunner) is vegan and his book talks a little about that journey, including some vegan recipes for endurance athletes. A great read as well

Isn't Jurek the guy who keeps like a trunkfull of apples and fruit in his car for races? There's just so much fiber... seems like a recipe for disaster. I guess the body adapts, though.

Isn't Jurek the guy who keeps like a trunkfull of apples and fruit in his car for races? There's just so much fiber... seems like a recipe for disaster. I guess the body adapts, though.

i thought he ate almost exclusively bananas. and aren't bananas one of the things recommended if you have GI issues...like they stop you up?

i don't know if they stop you up... but they're part of the BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) bland-plan for putting solids back in your stomach after you've had stomach issues because they're easy to digest. :noidea:

i don't know if they stop you up... but they're part of the BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) bland-plan for putting solids back in your stomach after you've had stomach issues because they're easy to digest. :noidea:

ah, i thought the reason for those foods is that they stop you up (i know white rice does). didn't realize it was because they were just easy to digest. never mind.

I've been a vegetarian on and off (mostly on) for about 14 years. I started when living in Oregon and then Hawaii after finishing at Wake. I gave up meat for environmental reasons (eg, resource consumption, land use, methane production, pollution...)- not for health or animal rights reasons - after seeing just how much of our western land scape, even in Hawaii, is dedicated to beef production. My original goal was to cut back meat consumption to only have 10% or less of my diet come from meat, but once I'd achieved that, the last 10% was pretty easy to cut out. It was a great decision; I feel great, and I eat such a diversity of tasty things since giving up on the steak and potatoes diet of my up bringing. It's also gotten so much easier to be a vegetarian over the years, with resturant and grocery stores offering a lot more options than 14 years ago. Anyway, I don't have much to add to this thread from 2 years ago, except to say that I hope you stuck with and that yoru foray into vegetarianism was successful and sustainable.

I feel like there are lots of people that say they're vegan, but what they mean by that is I have an eating disorder and can't come to terms with it.

Back