• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - $70 Zelda Expansion!

Hello Video Game Thread, I'm looking for recommendations. So I gave in to cabin fever and ordered a PS4 along with the Bioshock collection on the PS store. I haven't owned a console since the PS one and have essentially not touched games in 20 years, save for replays of Half-Life, System Shock 2, and Final Fantasy VI (iOS port) in the last 5 years. As someone just getting back into gaming, what have I missed in the last 10 or so years that I should check out? My favorite games back in the day, in addition to HL and SS2, were Final Fantasy Tactics, Descent (Freespace and 3, specifically), Resident Evil 2, StarCraft... and I'm drawing a blank on the rest, but hopefully that gives you an idea. I'm already interested in checking out Skyrim and the FF7 remake.

Good story lines appeal to me. Dark atmospheres appeal to me. "Video games as art" appeals to me. I like first person shooters with strategy elements and RPGs generally, but I'm not really interested in MMORPGs like WoW and similar.

Thanks in advance <3

If you've never played Skyrim before defs give that a go. FF7 remake I've heard good things about.

Witcher 3 should be at the top of your list.

I don't own a PS4 (Xbox guy), but you probably picked the right console for FPS with good story lines/etc kind of games, lots of exclusives in that realm on the PS4, my list of stuff I'd tackle that have received high praise is:

The Last of Us
Uncharted Series
Horizon Zero Dawn
God of War

Other than that, Destiny 2 is F2P and check out now I think (but all the recent stuff is behind a paywall), and is a fun feeling multiplayer shooter, I'd probably give that a spin but not buy any xpac until the presumably large one hitting in the fall if you like that concept/world at all.

I still just buy a switch too for breath of the wild alone. It’s that good. Although I read that switches everywhere are sold out cause of the coronavirus so now they cost like double

I just bought Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 deal on switch. never played a BG game before. takes a little bit of getting used to.

I’m a casual one player gamer (except when losing at Mario Kart 8 to Palma) so only play maybe one or two games a year but a few I’ve played that I think fit your criteria:

Hollow Knight - I sunk 50+ hours into this last year and it was only $7.50. Metroidvania style game with huge world, atmosphere, art style, and lore

Shadow of The Colossus - old game that has received a ton of notoriety already but the PS4 remake is beautiful and I enjoy the feeling of solitude it offers (does have some intentionally awkward controls). I did also like The Last Guardian by the same developer but it’s not as good as SotC

Batman Arkham series - one of the best examples of how I think most major releases are these days: big open worlds that allow you explore side missions or to progress the main story. The first is more linear and the subsequent entries get bigger and bigger

If you've never played Skyrim before defs give that a go. FF7 remake I've heard good things about.

Witcher 3 should be at the top of your list.

I don't own a PS4 (Xbox guy), but you probably picked the right console for FPS with good story lines/etc kind of games, lots of exclusives in that realm on the PS4, my list of stuff I'd tackle that have received high praise is:

The Last of Us
Uncharted Series
Horizon Zero Dawn
God of War

Other than that, Destiny 2 is F2P and check out now I think (but all the recent stuff is behind a paywall), and is a fun feeling multiplayer shooter, I'd probably give that a spin but not buy any xpac until the presumably large one hitting in the fall if you like that concept/world at all.

Awesome, thanks. My brother said The Last of Us is the best game he's ever played, so will definitely be checking that one out. And I'll look into tossing a coin to my Witcher!

Awesome, thanks. My brother said The Last of Us is the best game he's ever played, so will definitely be checking that one out. And I'll look into tossing a coin to my Witcher!

Yeah, I played about 2 hours of The Last of Us on TWDeac's PS4 once when I was visiting him, and I think it'll check off all your boxes (and sequel coming later this year too I think).

Yeah, I played about 2 hours of The Last of Us on TWDeac's PS4 once when I was visiting him, and I think it'll check off all your boxes (and sequel coming later this year too I think).

I feel like hanging out with the two of you and playing video games would be a high point in my life.

I feel like hanging out with the two of you and playing video games would be a high point in my life.

Haha, it's mostly me shitting on TWDeac if we're playing something that requires teamwork or skill. I like to think it makes him stronger though.

I didn't like The Last of Us either. Seems extremely linear in the 4-5 hours I played.

I promise there are games I like:

Skyrim
Fallout 4
God of War
Kingdom Hearts
Witcher

All are excellent

I didn't like The Last of Us either. Seems extremely linear in the 4-5 hours I played.

I promise there are games I like:

Skyrim
Fallout 4
God of War
Kingdom Hearts
Witcher

All are excellent

Yeah, it's definitely not open world RPG, linear but very good story is the read I get on it. I think Uncharted series is the same but never tried it firsthand.

Fallout 4 is another great one, although I never finished it. Same for Skyrim, although the soundtrack is incredible and I play it all the time.

Regarding RDR2, people yelled and screamed that the controls were too clunky and the character moved too slow, but it's meant to be enjoyed at a slower pace instead of some action shooter. The story is incredible and you won't regret it

Back