• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - $70 Zelda Expansion!

Crafting/Enchanting was OPAF in Skyrim

oh yeah. i was one-hit-killing dragons on the reg by halfway through the game, and the regular undead type enemies were like walking through tissue paper.

Witcher 3 crafting is not all that bad. My Geralt is currently rocking the Witcher Feline upgraded armor, and has been for several level ups and still haven't found anything to beat it.

Also it bears stating that a lot of the crafting-related missions (i.e. the scavenger hunts for armor and weapon plans) are compelling little missions with interesting mini-stories in their own right. As with most things Witcher 3 does this a lot better than any other RPG where it's just a find-the-McGuffin errand over and over again.

Bethesda games are better, yes. At least you gain experience and learn things when eating or creating stuff.

I'm looking at Witcher and DA and the others that just make you buy items with pointless loot instead of gold

oh yeah. i was one-hit-killing dragons on the reg by halfway through the game, and the regular undead type enemies were like walking through tissue paper.

Witcher 3 crafting is not all that bad. My Geralt is currently rocking the Witcher Feline upgraded armor, and has been for several level ups and still haven't found anything to beat it.

the problem with W3 is that after level 20 (!) or so, the gear you craft is rarely better than what you can just find in the field OR is levels of skill above your own and by the time you gain enough levels to use it, you'vee got something more powerful in your arsenal.

In DAI, the crafted gear was pretty much garbage until you got to the Black Emporium. Even then, you needed lots of dragon mats to make your stuff better than high-end drops.

can we talk about Crafting and how dumb it is? damo bringing up Witcher 3 reminded me of it. I was going to recommend: don't bother crafting anything other than potions b/c you'll never make a piece of armor or weapon worth using b/c of the leveling system.

The worst part of the game (and almost every RPG) is the crafting system. running around getting 10 pig skins and four iron ores so i can dump it into a hopper and get a shitty sword is just padding a game.

it's time to jettison the mechanic or at least stop touting it.

I'm a sucker for crafting as long as it isn't OPAF (like Skyrim) or meaningless (like Witcher 3).

I kind of like items that require a lot of work to craft for an appropriate reward. I can't think of the last game I played that had such a system though... probably WoW way back in the day.

By the way, I started a new play through of DA:I last weekend. This game stands up a lot better a second time than Witcher 3, IMO. Witcher 3 has a fantastic story and lots of pretty scenery, but the actual gameplay is really vanilla. It's practically hack-and-slash.

By the way, I started a new play through of DA:I last weekend. This game stands up a lot better a second time than Witcher 3, IMO. Witcher 3 has a fantastic story and lots of pretty scenery, but the actual gameplay is really vanilla. It's practically hack-and-slash.

Yeah, I'm hoping there will be some good mods eventually for W3 that make other types of combat more viable (like more casting/magic as a viable alternative to just swinging the sword a ton). I felt like the dodge, dodge, swing, dodge, dodge, swing thing got old pretty fast.

I was tempted to replay DA:I the other day, think you have talked me into doing that now. I actually played through twice already but still left a lot to do (never killed all of the dragons, for example).

Played through the first hour or so of AssCreed Syndicate (through the main title sequence) on the XBone. Visually, it looks great. Liking the streamlined play so far and I'm happy they continue to assume franchise familiarity but damn, just throws you into sequences with very little to go on story wise.

The characters felt heavy/clunky to me compared to Shadows of Mordor or Geralt in W3. I actually prefer Evie to Jacob so far. Combat seems a bit better this go around though the camera could use some work.

Played through the first hour or so of AssCreed Syndicate (through the main title sequence) on the XBone. Visually, it looks great. Liking the streamlined play so far and I'm happy they continue to assume franchise familiarity but damn, just throws you into sequences with very little to go on story wise.

The characters felt heavy/clunky to me compared to Shadows of Mordor or Geralt in W3. I actually prefer Evie to Jacob so far. Combat seems a bit better this go around though the camera could use some work.

I go back and forth on Evie vs Jacob, but I like the ability to switch it up. And I agree re combat being better this go around. And I like the new ability to use the batman like grappling hook/arrow. It just saves time.

Yeah, I'm hoping there will be some good mods eventually for W3 that make other types of combat more viable (like more casting/magic as a viable alternative to just swinging the sword a ton). I felt like the dodge, dodge, swing, dodge, dodge, swing thing got old pretty fast.

I was tempted to replay DA:I the other day, think you have talked me into doing that now. I actually played through twice already but still left a lot to do (never killed all of the dragons, for example).

Yea, on my first play through I barely scratched the surface of everything I could do. I only killed 2 dragons, and I didn't even visit all of the zones.

Now I'm playing the game on hard difficulty, which requires some planning and finesse in combat. The game is so much more rewarding this way.

Yea, on my first play through I barely scratched the surface of everything I could do. I only killed 2 dragons, and I didn't even visit all of the zones.

Now I'm playing the game on hard difficulty, which requires some planning and finesse in combat. The game is so much more rewarding this way.

Oh I know, my second play through was on hard. I actually started it on nightmare but really didn't plan well and just got super stuck on one mission about 1/3 of the way through the main story so had to move it back to hard.

..might give Nightmare a try again.

I never finished DA:I. I also haven't finished The Witcher III, or Batman:Arkham Knight, or South Park, or Bioshock Infinite. My Steam library is full of depression.

I never finished DA:I. I also haven't finished The Witcher III, or Batman:Arkham Knight, or South Park, or Bioshock Infinite. My Steam library is full of depression.

Yeah I haven't finished Witcher 3 either. Not because I don't like it, but there's just too many other games to play! Currently downloading Halo 5...I was going to wait but I have no self control.

South Park and Bioshock are must finishes. DAI is good, but a forgettable ending.

Yeah, the Bioshock Infinite ending is awesome. Such a cool concept. Loved that game.

Got my invite to the Battleborn Closed Technical Test today. Very interested to see what the game is all about and how it plays.

I'm in on that also, but unfortunately I just broke my arm, and I'm not sure I'll be able to properly hold a controller.

I'm in on that also, but unfortunately I just broke my arm, and I'm not sure I'll be able to properly hold a controller.

That's terrible timing! What system did you get it on?

Good god it took forever to download Halo 5. I started it at 6pm and by 7:45 it was at 4%, so I restarted and hardwired to my router, which made it go much faster, but it still didn't finish until after I'd gone to bed at 11. I was stuck playing Destiny all night...so sad.

Back