• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - $70 Zelda Expansion!

polygon's review sounded like pretty much in line with my expectations

was pleased to see the no-multiplayer note; rubbish

polygon's review sounded like pretty much in line with my expectations

was pleased to see the no-multiplayer note; rubbish

I hate games that add multiplayer for multiplayer's sake. I enjoy games by completing all the achievements in a game and the multiplayer ones are always the worst because they either require luck or coordination with people that is a pain to set up.

That said, the AC multiplayer wasn't terrible and I enjoyed it from time to time. Ghostbusters was pretty fun as well but got repetitive.

DCDeacon, maybe you can shed some light on this. Do games get a cut of multiplayer fees based on how many people are playing?

No, you don't make any money off of multiplayer. The theory, by companies that add multiplayer (particularly where it's not warranted or needed) is:

1) It's an "important feature" that will "sell more copies of the game"

2) Fights trade-ins. Fewer people trading in their copy of the game after they finish a single-player campaign because they'll stick around to play MP. Publishers make $0.0 off of every used game sale, so when it's three weeks after launch and GameStop is selling a used copy for $5 less than new, that hurts.

3) Retention. The more folks still active in your game, the better than odds they'll buy DLC, etc.

That's the thinking as I understand it. Admittedly, I've only ever worked at Bethesda so I've never been at another publisher to have these conversations, but I've talked with devs and other colleagues who have as it related to games they worked on.

no AC multiplayer!!?

#SOTW

re: #2 maybe we'll get less superfluous multiplayer as downloads increase and streaming comes of age

Fallout is gold. I can't wait for my gratis copy.

I realize that might make me seem like a huge nerd, even considering the thread I'm posting this in, but the Halo 5 soundtrack is on Soundcloud today if anyone wants to listen. I listen to video game soundtracks all the time at work (good working music, no vocals), so this will join the playlist. FYI, the Witcher 3 soundtrack is great, but the Ori and the Blind Forest soundtrack is incredible (as it was meant to be).

Halo 5

Listening to the Ori and the Blind Forest OST now...tell me more about this game.

Listening to the Ori and the Blind Forest OST now...tell me more about this game.

Metroidvania type 2D platformer. Combat is secondary to platforming. Looks absolutely gorgeous. I played it earlier this year and beat it. A few of the platforming sections get pretty tricky, but I really enjoyed the game.

Lil Wuf has his first part time job and saved up to buy a PS/4 Destiny bundle. We picked it last night. I haven't experienced and xBox One yet but this thing beats the crap out of the xBox 360. Very impressed so far. What PS/4 games should I get the little man for Christmas?

Depends. What kinds of games does he like? New Fallout, COD and Assassin's Creed are out or almost out.

Metroidvania type 2D platformer. Combat is secondary to platforming. Looks absolutely gorgeous. I played it earlier this year and beat it. A few of the platforming sections get pretty tricky, but I really enjoyed the game.

And the music corresponds amazingly with the game. I recall being pretty amazed by the music/graphics pretty much the entire game, but it also had very well done gameplay.

Depends. What kinds of games does he like? New Fallout, COD and Assassin's Creed are out or almost out.

Loved the Borderlands games. Really enjoys playing black ops and other games online. Seems to like Destiny but everyone seems to play it and complain about it. Is there anything that is specific to Sony? The new Fallout game is a given.

The new CoD would be obvious. Bloodborne is PS4 only and I loved it. Expansion is coming out soon.

It's multi platform, but sounds like he'd love Star Wars Battlefront.

Halo 5 early reviews are good, Destructoid giving it a 7/10 but most others in the 4/5 or 9/10 range.

Anyone going to get it soon? I'm planning on giving it a couple days since 343 hasn't proven themselves able to launch a game successfully yet, but I do think they'll get this one right.

Picked up the new AC on Saturday and have liked it so far. Defs some improvements over Unity, which I really liked.

I need to fight through Unity. I'm a huge AC fan, but Unity just ticked me off.

i started my download last night...

....and then found out DA: Inquisition was queued up for an update first and i couldn't' figure out how to stop it so I guess i'll get to try it tonight.

I know I am late to the party, but Witcher 3 is pretty awesome. I am generally a fall/winter video game guy. Have been playing on and off for a month and there is so much to do. I'm Level 20 and it feels like I am not even halfway through the game.

can we talk about Crafting and how dumb it is? damo bringing up Witcher 3 reminded me of it. I was going to recommend: don't bother crafting anything other than potions b/c you'll never make a piece of armor or weapon worth using b/c of the leveling system.

The worst part of the game (and almost every RPG) is the crafting system. running around getting 10 pig skins and four iron ores so i can dump it into a hopper and get a shitty sword is just padding a game.

it's time to jettison the mechanic or at least stop touting it.

Back