• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - The Last of Us = GOTY

EA Sports has cancelled their 2014 college football game.

"Today I am sad to announce that we will not be publishing a new college football game next year, and we are evaluating our plan for the future of the franchise," said Cam Weber, general manager of American football at EA Sports, on EA's blog. "This is as profoundly disappointing to the people who make this game as I expect it will be for the millions who enjoy playing it each year."

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/26/4774542/ea-sports-ncaa-football-college-2014-canceled

Well that pretty much ends EA's college game. Nobody wants to play a "college football game" with generic made-up mascots and logos. Whole bunch of programmers updating their resumes about now.

This is the one and only time on these boards that I called something 100% correctly. It will probably be the last.

Except that I hereby predict we will lose to Clemson on Saturday.

This is the one and only time on these boards that I called something 100% correctly. It will probably be the last.

Except that I hereby predict we will lose to Clemson on Saturday.

+1. James will be crying into his Dew.

Technically, that would be NCAA '15. I didn't get this year's figuring I'd wait for the next gen version. Wonder if it may be worth it to pick it up now. If they aren't going to be making any more NCAA games, I hope they leave the servers up for the older games longer.

That article has an update.
Update: EA, the CLC, the plaintiffs in the O'Bannon suit and the plaintiffs in the right-to-publicity suit led by Sam Keller have reached a settlement of their litigation, according to documents filed in federal court today. The settlement has not yet been approved by the court, so its effect remains unclear at this point.

Anyone know how much each NFL player gets from these games?

Don't think there are any numbers out there on the exclusivity deal, but there are two separate contracts. One with the NFL for the teams, stadiums, logos and so forth and one with the NFLPA for the player's likenesses and names. The players get their cut solely on how the NFLPA doles it out, so it is hard to say whether it is a flat fee for all, or if star players get star money. Back in the Temco Bowl days, it was an uneven distribution and players could opt out, which is why you ended up with QB EAGLES instead of Randall Cunningham.

well bungie's new game is gonna suck relative to what they could have done.

a sci-fi shooter? really? that's original, and nothing at all like a modded HALO would look like...

bungie before halo was a more innovative company than giant bloated corporate bungie. but then again, the industry has changed.

well bungie's new game is gonna suck relative to what they could have done.

a sci-fi shooter? really? that's original, and nothing at all like a modded HALO would look like...

bungie before halo was a more innovative company than giant bloated corporate bungie. but then again, the industry has changed.

I've read stuff like this just recently in a couple places (ok, mostly on Reddit). Did I miss something new that was released? Sure, it looks like a slightly different Halo, but they did Halo really well, why is that such a problem? It'll be like Borderlands with a lot of space to wander in, in a more MMOFPS type of way. How is that bad?

these are just my impressions on how the game looks. i was thinking with all the money and time they'd have made a new engine, new genre, new game. the old bungie culture would have demanded that..this is the bungie that released the source code for marathon and the developer tools for myth and never more than two titles on one engine.

i think it will be a good game relative to the industry, with good polish, story, performance, and a couple innovations..but relative to bungie's history and prior standards it's pretty bland. i was a mac gamer so i've followed bungie since 1993 when there were two employees who packaged the games themselves in Alex's basement and they had to pay game retailers to make room on their shelves.

i did not know this was the buzz on reddit but am not surprised. i've been checking every few months for awhile now to see what they were working on and after a few years all they've come up with is an elaborate mod of HALO? the old bungie created the entire RTT genre, the new bungie is apparently content to release revised versions of HALO (whether called that or not). i hope there is more to it than meets the eye.

these are just my impressions on how the game looks. i was thinking with all the money and time they'd have made a new engine, new genre, new game. the old bungie culture would have demanded that..this is the bungie that released the source code for marathon and the developer tools for myth and never more than two titles on one engine.

i think it will be a good game relative to the industry, with good polish, story, performance, and a couple innovations..but relative to bungie's history and prior standards it's pretty bland. i was a mac gamer so i've followed bungie since 1993 when there were two employees who packaged the games themselves in Alex's basement and they had to pay game retailers to make room on their shelves.

i did not know this was the buzz on reddit but am not surprised. i've been checking every few months for awhile now to see what they were working on and after a few years all they've come up with is an elaborate mod of HALO? the old bungie created the entire RTT genre, the new bungie is apparently content to release revised versions of HALO (whether called that or not). i hope there is more to it than meets the eye.

That's fair. I'm hopeful for a great game, because Destiny caters to more of what I prefer now. I used to play Halo, COD, etc, but I much prefer the non-stressful types of multiplayer now (I've played the hell out of some Borderlands 2). Destiny would combine the co-op MP that I love so much about Borderlands with what is essentially Halo. And I fully expect the game to be a success, considering how many people became disillusioned with Halo after Halo 4 (which in my mind wasn't bad, but it didn't continue the series in a great way) and just want more Bungie games.

i really hope you're right an i should say again idk anything about destiny other than, for me, it looks like halo, and new units and maps and levels were once upon a time well within modding bounds. BUT maybe their resources have been in other areas that are not as immediately obvious and in that case i do applaud making investments in the actual game when so much emphasis these days is just on the graphics.

also why do they need activison? they used to self publish, why not go back to that since they have a global reach now i wonder?

do you know if it can be player vs player? or is it like quests?

i really hope you're right an i should say again idk anything about destiny other than, for me, it looks like halo, and new units and maps and levels were once upon a time well within modding bounds. BUT maybe their resources have been in other areas that are not as immediately obvious and in that case i do applaud making investments in the actual game when so much emphasis these days is just on the graphics.

also why do they need activison? they used to self publish, why not go back to that since they have a global reach now i wonder?

do you know if it can be player vs player? or is it like quests?

From what I've gathered (and I haven't read a ton in depth to be honest), it's not quite an MMO, since you won't be on a huge server with a ton of other players, it'll just kind match people up in the same world on the fly. So there'll be other people around, but not huge masses of them, I guess? I think it has Borderlands elements in how you find new guns and items, and I think there are some RPG elements too. Not sure about the PvP or how quests work though.

My brother ordered GTA5 and it arrived today. He has now tried to install it 7 different times on his Xbox 360, including multiple different ways suggested on the Internets. Every time it gets about halfway through installing disc 1 it throws up an E68 hardware error and a red ring of death. If he unplugs his machine and waits a minute and then reboots it without GTA5 in the tray, everything is fine. If he deletes all GTA files and tries to install it again, same error every time.

In looking online for a solution, it looks like there are a ton of people with the same issue, and Rockstar knows its an issue, but no one knows how to fix it. We may try to install it on my Xbox later and see if it works there but most likely I guess he'll just return it. Oh well.

Isn't the E68 a hardware failure of the hard drive? I'd just pick up a new one off ebay for like $20. E68's were fairly common well before GTA V came out...

Isn't the E68 a hardware failure of the hard drive? I'd just pick up a new one off ebay for like $20. E68's were fairly common well before GTA V came out...

Yes, it is, but it's not actually what's going on. It's a problem with GTA5. Found many other cases of the same thing when I searched online.

It crashes everything to the red ring of death, but if he reboots, everything is OK unless you try to install GTA5 again. As long as you are not trying to install that particular game, it's OK. Actually found some voodoo approach online that MS support has out there where you are supposed to do something like Install Disc 1, let it crash, reboot it, remove the corrupted files, reboot it, clear the cache three times, reboot it, delete all your marketplace data, reboot it, install disc 2, reboot it and it will play, but we're not trying all that.

We are going to try to install it on my machine tomorrow and see what happens.

Apparently there were all sorts of issues with this game at launch and they haven't fixed most of them yet.

Back