• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - The Last of Us = GOTY

Recommendation: don't touch one. Unless you have 500-1000 hours to burn just learning the mechanics of the game to make yourself an "average" player. Then go ahead an commit to going balls deep 5 hours a day

Sounds like a less intensive version of parenthood.

Recommendation: don't touch one. Unless you have 500-1000 hours to burn just learning the mechanics of the game to make yourself an "average" player. Then go ahead an commit to going balls deep 5 hours a day

This. I have played League of Legends for about 4 and a half years now, and have always said I would never recommend anyone get involved. It causes far more headaches than it's worth. Combine that with each game, from queue to endgame, taking an average of about 45 - 50 minutes, and it just isn't worth ever starting. Then there is the fact that, yes, if you're a pro, you could theoretically carry any team, but I'd say you yourself will actually only have a significant impact on, max, about 1/3 of your games. The other games will be decided with or without you from either someone on you team hyper carrying or hyper feeding.

So yeah, all in all, just don't. The general nature of MOBAS is rage inducing and way too time consuming.

This. I have played League of Legends for about 4 and a half years now, and have always said I would never recommend anyone get involved. It causes far more headaches than it's worth. Combine that with each game, from queue to endgame, taking an average of about 45 - 50 minutes, and it just isn't worth ever starting. Then there is the fact that, yes, if you're a pro, you could theoretically carry any team, but I'd say you yourself will actually only have a significant impact on, max, about 1/3 of your games. The other games will be decided with or without you from either someone on you team hyper carrying or hyper feeding.

So yeah, all in all, just don't. The general nature of MOBAS is rage inducing and way too time consuming.

This..... So so much this....

A lot of strange vibes about MOBAs in here.

If you want to try one out, then try one out. It's true that users may endure the low points listed above. Failing in the face of the competitive aspect of these games can humiliate you in the same way as failing in any sport. Shit happens. Noobs feed and flame. Whatever. I've had some of the best gaming experiences of my life playing MOBAs though, and I recommend them so that others can feel the same pleasure when they dominate a lane or force the opposing team to concede early.

Just weird so many veteran players are negative about a game I'm sure y'all play regularly.

Then there is the fact that, yes, if you're a pro, you could theoretically carry any team, but I'd say you yourself will actually only have a significant impact on, max, about 1/3 of your games. The other games will be decided with or without you from either someone on you team hyper carrying or hyper feeding.

Oof. Maybe this is a LoL thing (and if it is: uh, seems like a design flaw?), but I really strongly disagree with this. By nature, MOBAs are intensely team oriented, and while, yeah, sometimes you'll get carried hard, if the game's matchmaking system is any good, every player on a team has impact on a game. The reason for that is that everyone has a defined role, and especially in team fights, if one person messes up their job, it could have rather large ramifications for the game at hand. I'd say that maybe Wolverine isn't recognizing the nuance of 2/3 of his games here, but then I don't want to come off as being more condescending than I already am?

My advice: If you get into a MOBA (and you absolutely should! They've given me the best competitive online gaming experiences I've ever had, easily.) make sure the one you pick is the one for you. Generally, that means choosing between Dota 2 and LoL. Switching between them down the line is probably a nonstarter, unless you're a crazy lunatic like Kory and you're prepared to suck with another new game for a long, long time.

IGN has good reviews for both. I can't speak to their LoL review (other than to say when I played it years ago, it wasn't for me), but the Dota 2 review is very accurate.

I would also say that the 500-1000 hours thing is off a bit. Generally, I tell newbs to play 50 games (usually about 40 hours) and get the basics down. From there, yeah, it probably takes a few hundred hours to get the nuance of things down. I've been playing Dota for about a decade now, and while I wouldn't call myself "good," I'd definitely say it was worth getting into.

I'll give an example of my first point:

I had a game a few weeks ago where we had a group of 4 and got a randomly matched 5th. We had a very specific strat in mind (KotL + Ogre offlane, with Bristle + SD safelane, for you #dotabros), but the rando on our team stole the KotL before our KotL player could pick him. He proceeded to go safelane with the Bristle and proceeded to fuck that lane up by pushing it too hard, then finally came to the offlane and did the same thing there. In the midgame, we intended on KotL being a very specific counter for one of the other team's heroes (WK), but the dude never tried to fill that role, either.

Yeah, if one of our teammates had gone yolo and won the game on his own, that'd have been fine, but it shouldn't be depended on. And obviously, the 4 of us made mistakes in that game, too. But small decisions (like spamming the wrong skill in a laning phase, or not using a skill on a hero in a team fight) do impact games.

Alternatively, I had a game a couple of weeks ago where I played Undying, and fed pretty hard early trying to function as an initiator. As a result, most of the early team fights ended up being 4v5, with one of my key skills (Tombstone) never getting utilized in them. I was fully prepared to be a non-factor (or the reason we lost), but I started positioning myself behind the fights, and making sure every team fight had a Tombstone placed. And you know what? We started winning team fights again! I'm not going to say that I was the main reason we won (because I still ended something like 6/15 in that game), but to pretend that those Tombstones had no role in the comeback is silly.

Edit: I think Kory can speak to this point a bit too. He's absolutely had some games so far in Dota 2 where he's been the least impactful person on the team, but in certain team fights already, it's been his plays that have made the difference and turned things for us. It happens.

Anyway. The other complaints you guys have might be valid, I don't know. But I'd say the exact opposite of this impact thing is true: if you want to feel like you're having an actual impact on a 5v5 game, play a MOBA.

Last edited:
I don't play any MOBAs, and don't plan to, but I've heard that Heroes of the Storm is a bit easier to get into but is also a pretty good experience. That may be an alternative to DOTA or LoL.

I don't play any MOBAs, and don't plan to, but I've heard that Heroes of the Storm is a bit easier to get into but is also a pretty good experience. That may be an alternative to DOTA or LoL.

Heros is the one that really intrigues me. Mainly just because of its roster of familiar faces.

I like to play a bunch of different games over just one game so for that reason I play Smite since I don't feel like I'm falling behind and/or neglecting teammates if I don't play a lot as compared to the more serious MOBAs.

On a semi-related note, I've been playing the hell out of Reign of Kings (basically a mash-up of Chivalry and Minecraft). So much fun if you get into a private whitelisted server with defined rules.

Just started playing Dead Island a week or two ago and I spent hours on a mission that seemed impossible until I Googled it and found that you can't complete the mission until the last half of the game...

Just started playing Dead Island a week or two ago and I spent hours on a mission that seemed impossible until I Googled it and found that you can't complete the mission until the last half of the game...

This is how I feel at every moment when I play Bloodborne. Like I'm not high enough level to be anywhere. And there is no way to know until I've died about 6 times.

Did you play dark or demon souls?

No. I understand it's supposed to be hard, but it's super frustrating when there is a fork in the road where one way leads to certain death, and the other is the correct way, which still usually leads to death, but at least it's a fair fight. I don't mind the difficulty of the game play, but the lack of instruction on where your supposed to go or what anything in your arsenal does gets annoying. It would be different if there were clues, albeit tough to find, that helped guide you, but some of these things, I don't see any way you could possibly be expected to know without looking them up.

Maybe a lot of it is just bc I jumped into the series in the third game, but man, they could have given an option for a tutorial or something.

Last edited:
No. I understand it's supposed to be hard, but it's super frustrating when there is a fork in the road where one way leads to certain death, and the other is the correct way, which still usually leads to death, but at least it's a fair fight. I don't mind the difficulty of the game play, but the lack of instruction on where your supposed to go or what anything in your arsenal does gets annoying. It would be different if there were clues, albeit tough to find, that helped guide you, but some of these things, I don't see any way you could possibly be expected to know without looking them up.

Maybe a lot of it is just bc I jumped into the series in the third game, but man, they could have given an option for a tutorial or something.

son't have a ps4 so have not played bloodbourne. did play the other three and loved them. they are all pretty tough but i always thought "fair" in that even if you die a ton of times on the same boss or location you realize it's your fault and usually know what your mistake is. don't know how people run through the entire game without upgrading their character or other stuff like that.

the lack of clues is tough to get used to. anytime i was having difficulty i would use co-op. either join someone's game and follow where they are going and get a handle of the area or call someone(s) in to my game. is that an option?

son't have a ps4 so have not played bloodbourne. did play the other three and loved them. they are all pretty tough but i always thought "fair" in that even if you die a ton of times on the same boss or location you realize it's your fault and usually know what your mistake is. don't know how people run through the entire game without upgrading their character or other stuff like that.

the lack of clues is tough to get used to. anytime i was having difficulty i would use co-op. either join someone's game and follow where they are going and get a handle of the area or call someone(s) in to my game. is that an option?

It is, but I'm really trying not to use it. Seems kinda like cheating. I'm also a little confused as to exactly how it works.

Just finished Sunset Overdrive last night. Much better game than I was expecting, so much fun.

[/B]

It is, but I'm really trying not to use it. Seems kinda like cheating. I'm also a little confused as to exactly how it works.

I have found it a ton of fun. Figure it out and give it a try with another character or early levels you've played. (Previous games gave you an item that you could use to write your name for other characters to see and pull you in to help. If you were human you could see other characters names and call them to help you. Not sure if this one is different.

Switching between them down the line is probably a nonstarter, unless you're a crazy lunatic like Kory and you're prepared to suck with another new game for a long, long time.

Kory can speak to this point a bit too. He's absolutely had some games so far in Dota 2 where he's been the least impactful person on the team, but in certain team fights already, it's been his plays that have made the difference and turned things for us. It happens.

presidentobama.jpg

Back