• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - The Last of Us = GOTY

for the most part, yes; i think the under-utilized races actually shape the character's experience a bit more due to the shifts in attitudes and dialogue options available for those races that are discriminated against in-world (khajit and argonian)

Having played Witcher 2, I'll still say that Geralt is a way more interesting character than whatever character someone would create in Oblivion/Skyrim. But we're getting pretty geeky here and you can draw your own conclusions when you play.

Honestly, I think it's better this way. You're actually playing as someone who has a developed character that interacts with the surrounding world. The Oblivion/Skyrim model doesn't really change depending on whatever character you make up.

Ehh, you get treated differently depending on race/affiliations and stuff, but I don't like having to be shoe horned into a character that's already developed. I think it won't matter if the game has enough going for it otherwise though.

Dragon Age 2 did the whole "you have to play as this character" type thing and it absolutely sucked. But that game also was pretty restricted in a lot of other ways too.

The only thing I'm really worried about is the diversity w/ combat, really hoping you're not just forced to use the giant sword for everything when fighting. I'm guessing mods might eventually come into play to help this out on the PC (would like to see magic/sign only combat be viable for example).

That was one of my hangups, too. Most of these games incorporate the leveling and experience gains as part of your narrative as you transform from a weakling to a god. With the Witcher they use it as more of a teaching tool, letting you get your feet wet in combat and exploration as you figure out how you like to play.

Plus it saves you an hour of your life as you adjust the sliders for ear length, nose bridge depth, and try to decide which scar looks best with which hair color.

That was one of my hangups, too. Most of these games incorporate the leveling and experience gains as part of your narrative as you transform from a weakling to a god. With the Witcher they use it as more of a teaching tool, letting you get your feet wet in combat and exploration as you figure out how you like to play.

Plus it saves you an hour of your life as you adjust the sliders for ear length, nose bridge depth, and try to decide which scar looks best with which hair color

This is one of my favorite parts, there's just something about the character being custom to you that can't be beat.. :p

This is one of my favorite parts, there's just something about the character being custom to you that can't be beat.. :p

It has been one of my hang ups as well, but then I have started thinking that really all it does it cost me an hour or so of "gameplay" (the customization of the character), but shouldn't really impact the rest of the gameplay. Once I had my character customized it was really the last time I thought that much about it other than the storyline, which is basically the same for all creations.

The only reason I am not getting it now is having a 3 month old, busy at work, summer trips and multiple other games I have barely even started (Mordor, Far Cry 4 etc.).

Last edited:
Having played Witcher 2, I'll still say that Geralt is a way more interesting character than whatever character someone would create in Oblivion/Skyrim. But we're getting pretty geeky here and you can draw your own conclusions when you play.

not disagreeing; was just commenting. looking forward to picking up W3; havent played one before

Don't get me wrong, I usually spend way too much time on character creation, it's just that I didn't miss it in this case.

It helps that Geralt is such a badass, too.

Don't get me wrong, I usually spend way too much time on character creation, it's just that I didn't miss it in this case.

It helps that Geralt is such a badass, too.

To this outside observer he just looks like an old man (WHITE HAIR?!) who got got (scar on his face, what a noob!).

I enjoyed Witcher 1. Felt Witcher 2 veered too much to console-style, but it was still enjoyable. Witcher 3 just annoys me, considering plugging in a controller to see if I like it better than with a keyboard.

I enjoyed Witcher 1. Felt Witcher 2 veered too much to console-style, but it was still enjoyable. Witcher 3 just annoys me, considering plugging in a controller to see if I like it better than with a keyboard.

I play with a controller on PC. It's way better than a keyboard for this type of game.

Been trying to download Witcher 3 for 2 days, can't get it to work. Hopefully third time is a charm and it will install when I get home from work tonight.

Got it from GOG.com, because the game came free with a graphics card and that's where I have to get it from. Let's just say the download interface is about 5 years behind Steam.

i started DLing it to my XBone last night and realized it was going to take about 4 hours so i went to bed

looking forward to starting it this weekend

Been trying to download Witcher 3 for 2 days, can't get it to work. Hopefully third time is a charm and it will install when I get home from work tonight.

Got it from GOG.com, because the game came free with a graphics card and that's where I have to get it from. Let's just say the download interface is about 5 years behind Steam.

Agreed. But did you download the GOG launcher? That makes it a bit simpler - still not as good as Steam.

I need to finish Bloodborne and Dragon Age so I can finish Witcher 1 and 2 and then play Witcher 3.

Shit, Batman comes out in a month?

I need to finish Bloodborne and Dragon Age so I can finish Witcher 1 and 2 and then play Witcher 3.

Shit, Batman comes out in a month?

Yeah same with Bloodborne and also started Shadow of Mordor. Want to play Witcher 3 and Batman as well. I think I just need to quit my job.

bym, that is quite the slew of games. You could end up playing Witcher 3 next year at this time.

can't comment on bloodborne but i'd probably play the first half of Mordor and then stop. The second half (when you move to the "nurn" map) is literally exactly the same but you're overpowered.

bym, that is quite the slew of games. You could end up playing Witcher 3 next year at this time.

I know... I don't get as much gaming time as I'd like. It happens when you have a kid.

Unfortunately, I'm addicted to games and Steam sales.

Bloodborne is a slog to get through, but it's just as fantastic (if not better) than the Souls games, which are some of my favorites.

Back