• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - The Last of Us = GOTY

Dude, cookout. You need to get home now. I need someone to play BF3 co-op with!

If y'all weren't snooty PC players, I would offer my wholly inadequate BF3 services.

I haven't played Starcraft 2 in a while, which was the only game I have played outside of football in the past year.

Yeah, but cheating is worse on PC. Thankfully, I haven't been a victim often, but it is definitely out there.

Yeah, but cheating is worse on PC. Thankfully, I haven't been a victim often, but it is definitely out there.

Not BF3 related, but my favorite FPS cheating moment ever was in Halo. A friend of mine and I joined a game and were just getting mowed down from the get go.

The other team had two guys in a Warthog, but the Warthog was flying around the map like a Banshee, but it was upside down so the guy on the Warthog gun was just strafing people as they flew above the fray. Ridiculous, but funny.

I haven't played Starcraft 2 in a while, which was the only game I have played outside of football in the past year.

i play like once a week now. will be playing a lot more after i'm done with skyrim (later this week). Season 6 just started so I bet i am hoping for a league bump (i'm just a goldie =[ )

The new SSX comes out in a week and a half. Anyone love those games as much as I did? I'm pretty excited for this, hopefully it'll live up to SSX Tricky/3.

Sooooo, I basically like to buy games about a year after they come out. I get a great deal on them, and I don't play enough to justify the expense of the new games.

To that end, I am playing Mass Effect 2 right now, which is awesome. Decided to buy this game after playing and enjoying the DragonAge games. I am also taking a hiatus from Fallout-New Vegas. I am looking forward to when Arham City and Skyrim drop in price.

And I may buy ME3 when it comes out.

Sooooo, I basically like to buy games about a year after they come out. I get a great deal on them, and I don't play enough to justify the expense of the new games.

To that end, I am playing Mass Effect 2 right now, which is awesome. Decided to buy this game after playing and enjoying the DragonAge games. I am also taking a hiatus from Fallout-New Vegas. I am looking forward to when Arham City and Skyrim drop in price.

And I may buy ME3 when it comes out.

ME2 is a great game, but is still not as good as the original ME, which was incredible, even with the dumbass vehicle missions. The story in the first ME really made you feel like you were in the midst of something epic.

ME2 is a great game, but is still not as good as the original ME, which was incredible, even with the dumbass vehicle missions. The story in the first ME really made you feel like you were in the midst of something epic.

I never played ME. The vehicle missions in ME2 kind of suck, but the rest of the game certainly makes up for it. I just started and am still picking up team members.

I never played ME. The vehicle missions in ME2 kind of suck, but the rest of the game certainly makes up for it. I just started and am still picking up team members.

There are only handful of little vehicle things to do in ME2. ME was full of them, and the vehicle was this little tank thing that was hard as shit to drive, but also unstoppable. (i.e. it could drive over mountains)

The gameplay in ME was much more in depth too. Going from ME to ME2 was sort of like going from Dragon Age to Dragon Age 2. You had so much intricate control in the first game of each series. Then they wanted to "reach a broader audience" with the second game in each series so they dumbed down the controls big time. In ME and DA you could actually think through a battle and plan accordingly, assigning actions that made sense. In DA2 you just pressed the attack button really fast and didn't pay any attention to the rest of your party. Similarly, in ME2 you just take cover and peek out and shoot and just pay no mind to the rest of your party.

There are only handful of little vehicle things to do in ME2. ME was full of them, and the vehicle was this little tank thing that was hard as shit to drive, but also unstoppable. (i.e. it could drive over mountains)

The gameplay in ME was much more in depth too. Going from ME to ME2 was sort of like going from Dragon Age to Dragon Age 2. You had so much intricate control in the first game of each series. Then they wanted to "reach a broader audience" with the second game in each series so they dumbed down the controls big time. In ME and DA you could actually think through a battle and plan accordingly, assigning actions that made sense. In DA2 you just pressed the attack button really fast and didn't pay any attention to the rest of your party. Similarly, in ME2 you just take cover and peek out and shoot and just pay no mind to the rest of your party.

space-mining.png

Nice. I'm actually playing through Mass Effect 2 again myself, and while the mineral scanning sucked the first time through, after they patched it and I got the bonus for having beaten the game, scanning hasn't been a big deal since. At least they knew enough to fix something that was pretty bad.

I'm torn between which ME game is better. I thought they really refined the conversation and dialogue options in the second game, and it certainly has faster combat, which can be a good thing. I really hate how much character customization they took away from the game, though. They really cut back on skills, especially. I also had a love/hate relationship with the Mako. It was really amazing to land on a planet and drive around exploring... some of the views were incredible. However, it also took forever to recharge shields if you got in a bad situation, and it really sucked when there was a checkpoint on the top of a mountain and it took five minutes to get up there.

I'm pretty sure that ME3 will be more similar to the second than the first, although I haven't played the demo yet. Still, I'll probably be getting it day 1, which is unusual for me (though not as much lately). I am another one who doesn't mind waiting on a game if I can get it later for half price or better.

I'm with you redwing. I liked the Mako and planet exploration.

I'm just glad they still have the planet descriptions. I find them fascinating.

Haha, except I thought ME2 was MUCH better than the DA2 as far as sequels went. At least the gameplay combat-wise was somewhat similar. DA2 made it way too "arcade-ey". Oh here's a giant group of enemies, now pwn them, over and over and over and over and over. I stopped playing that game about 2 hours into it, whereas I put in easily over 100 hours on the original DA.

Yeah, I didn't get DA2 solely because of cookout's recommendation.

I'm with you redwing. I liked the Mako and planet exploration.

I'm just glad they still have the planet descriptions. I find them fascinating.

I've read all the planet descriptions and all the codex entries of both games at some point. They really did a great job of creating a full universe that seems like it has limitless potential for future storytelling.

Back