• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Villanova

wfumike02

Reaction score
Seeing Villanova advance to the title game tonight really made me angry. Not because I wanted them to lose (quite the opposite). It pissed me off because it proved everything our athletic administration, and really our administration as a whole (not to mention far too much of our fan base), has been telling us has been a lie. A complete fraud.

We have been told for years that Wake can't compete on a national level because we're a small school. Because we emphasize academics. Because we lack resources. Even because of (past) religious affiliations. We've also been told that the game has changed. You know, since 2008 when we were last ranked #1 in the country. Oops.

Instead, tonight, Villanova, a small school with an emphasis on academics, a religious affiliation, and fewer athletic resources than we have, advanced to the national title game.

Villanova has proved that Ron Wellman's little engine that could, "historically competitive" empire is a load of bullshit. There's no denying it anymore. There's no brushing another failure under the rug. Today's developments need to result in resignations.

^^ Great post.

I've lost track of what Wake is trying to achieve. What I do know is we absolutely suck in revenue sports and have an AD who is dumber than a fucking board.

Last edited:
Seeing Villanova advance to the title game tonight really made me angry. Not because I wanted them to lose (quite the opposite). It pissed me off because it proved everything our athletic administration, and really our administration as a whole (not to mention far too much of our fan base), has been telling us has been a lie. A complete fraud.

We have been told for years that Wake can't compete on a national level because we're a small school. Because we emphasize academics. Because we lack resources. Even because of (past) religious affiliations. We've also been told that the game has changed. You know, since 2008 when we were last ranked #1 in the country. Oops.

Instead, tonight, Villanova, a small school with an emphasis on academics, a religious affiliation, and fewer athletic resources than we have, advanced to the national title game.

Villanova has proved that Ron Wellman's little engine that could, "historically competitive" empire is a load of bullshit. There's no denying it anymore. There's no brushing another failure under the rug. Today's developments need to result in resignations.

I don't disagree with this, but Villanova's only focus is on basketball. They don't have to worry about competing in a power five football conference. It's easier to invest in a top shelf coach and funnel resources into the one sport that matters at that school.

I don't disagree with this, but Villanova's only focus is on basketball. They don't have to worry about competing in a power five football conference. It's easier to invest in a top shelf coach and funnel resources into the one sport that matters at that school.

Oh FFS

We are paying a lot of money for our coaches, too.

Oh FFS

We are paying a lot of money for our coaches, too.

Did not address football at all in your dismissive post. I'm just responding to the sky is falling OP. If he wants to make his point, a much better analogy would be Duke.

Last edited:

Whatever amount they're spending, it's being spent wisely. They're one of the more successful IAA football programs.

Fuck you, Ron.

Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention, but I don't recall being told for years that we can't compete at a national level in basketball.

Did not address football at all in your dismissive post. I'm just responding to the sky is falling OP. If he wants to make his point, a much better analogy would be Duke.

Unfortunately, whether we want to admit it or not, Duke is at an elite tier of academics. They have national and international name recognition. Also, Duke's overall size, diversity on campus, and relationship with NC Central make it a far more appealing place for minority athletes. We, sadly, don't bring nearly as much as Duke does to the table.

Wake Forest loses because it's an institutionalized loser. Everything about Wake's administration and athletic department has been conditioned to be a loser institution. To ever have a chance to change, we need radical shock treatment. We need highly competitive, high energy people to take the reins and transform Wake Forest from the ground up. Make Wake Forest great for once.

Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention, but I don't recall being told for years that we can't compete at a national level in basketball.

We cannot compete at a national level in basketball.

(With our current athletic administration)

Wake Forest loses because it's an institutionalized loser. Everything about Wake's administration and athletic department has been conditioned to be a loser institution. To ever have a chance to change, we need radical shock treatment. We need highly competitive, high energy people to take the reins and transform Wake Forest from the ground up. Make Wake Forest great for once.

Yep. Our championship teams had players whose desire to win hadn't been or couldn't be snuffed out by the losing nature of MSD.

What resources are the Wake bball team missing at this point?

What makes you think that Wake worries about competing in a power five football conference?

Well we just put up a freaking 20mm indoor practice facility.

Back