• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Villanova

Did not address football at all in your dismissive post. I'm just responding to the sky is falling OP. If he wants to make his point, a much better analogy would be Duke.

Honestly I think the opposite is true. It's MUCH easier to funnel money into basketball when you have a P5 football team. You don't even have to have a good P5 football team.

I'm open to input from people in the know, though.

Edit: looks like Pilchard and Free State have this covered.

We're a better school in a better conference. The problem is Wellman and whoever else has enabled the garbage product we have put on the court since [Redacted] arrived.

We're a better school in a better conference. The problem is Wellman and whoever else has enabled the garbage product we have put on the court since [Redacted] arrived.

Even the Manning hire, no matter how it shakes out, just screams ignorant desperation. It's akin to drafting a player based on a solid postseason run despite a career of evidence that contradicts recent performance. I just looked at Manning's record again to compare it to Bryce Drew's at Valpo and I have no idea how Manning (or [Redacted], for that matter) stood out to Wellman as job candidates and made sense to the AD and BOT as even solid investments.

Wellman and his handlers are not smart people, but neither are the administrators that green light his moves. Wake's problem is Wake and idk how you solve that.

Bryce Drew's resume at the time we hired Manning wasn't much different than Manning's resume.

If we were abandoned, we would join the American or join the Big East in hoops and drop to FCS in football.

The OP and this discussion is nice but I hope no Wake fan posting here needed Villanova to succeed to realize the excuses are BS.

unfortunately there are plenty who believe the excuses

Bryce Drew's resume at the time we hired Manning wasn't much different than Manning's resume.

And then he went ahead and proved himself. He had a down year after the players that inherited (and who led Valpo to the NCAAT) graduated and then put together two nice seasons back-to-back.

We hired 21-13 coach who lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament with the previous coach's players and has gone since 24-38 since arriving at Wake.

The difference between the two is that we'll never know whether or not Manning could have put together a team at Tulsa similar to Drew's 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 Valpo squads. It's a case, in and of itself, for waiting a bit on a novice coaching prospect, especially when you're basing a hire off of a postseason run.

After Shaka turned Wake down, there weren't many other choices out there at the time Manning was hired. Manning was one of the few with some head coaching experience and some time at a major (P5 conference) BB program. Unfortunately, it was at one of the bluebloods of college BB, so he always had the school name doing some of his recruiting at Kansas. His Tulsa recruiting was similar to what he has successfully brought to Wake. He took a run at a top five recruit last year, and missed. That hurt. If that had gone down differently, I suspect the rest of the class might have as well.

True. Shaka cost us Amaker and then the hiring list was thin.

how did shaka cost us amaker. amaker sucks anyway

Exactly correct and we have nothing to do with WSSU, so we make it extremely hard on our minority athletes to exist with a campus life, much less academically. We continue to shoot ourselves in the foot in every way imaginable.

This is incorrect. We have many interactions and agreements with WSSU, in a variety of classes and schools. For example, it was announced just a few days ago that the schools are working together on a concussion study.

Amaker would have felt like a meh hire imo.

Manning was not a bad hire given the circumstances. The circumstances were the inexcusable problem Wellman (and whoever else) created.

And Dave Odom had no resume to speak of and won us 2 ACC titles, so what is the point with everybody looking at Bryce Drew?

This is incorrect. We have many interactions and agreements with WSSU, in a variety of classes and schools. For example, it was announced just a few days ago that the schools are working together on a concussion study.

Great, so we are going to knock heads together, but we are still not letting our students take classes that count course credit at WSSU like Duke does for their athletes at NC Central.

el oh fucking el

And Dave Odom had no resume to speak of and won us 2 ACC titles, so what is the point with everybody looking at Bryce Drew?

There's not much point. Drew is the top candidate for Vandy and GT, so he would likely have been our top target if our job was open this offseason.

I'm not sure that there were better candidates available at the time we hired Danny

I'm not sure that there were better candidates available at the time we hired Danny

Yup. Ron went all-in for the 2nd time in as many tries and donked it up again because he's a total loser and choke artist. Sad!

el oh fucking el

It was covered pretty extensively - you and TheReff must have missed it. I provided it as a recent high profile collaboration between the two schools to counter TheReff's statement, "...we have nothing to do with WSSU, so we make it extremely hard on our minority athletes to exist with a campus life...," which is incorrect. There are many other examples of the two schools working closely together, and our athletes interact with their's quite a bit. Just a few weeks ago the two schools collaborated on NFL Pro Day. The first line from the W-S Journal story on this is, "Winston-Salem State is lucky to have a good working relationship with Wake Forest, especially when it comes to NFL Pro Day."

Back