• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Virginia @ Wake Forest Game Thread

Curious how many were at the game vs watched on tv? We were there and I felt like we played well against the #2 team for a large part of the game. Got down quick but bounced back and led at the half. Obviously didn’t hold on in the second half but shots were there for the making. Unfortunately we made turnovers instead. Against UVA, a turnover feels like 1.5 because they possess the ball so long. You lose so many scoring opportunities that way and it’s hard to overcome.
Was impressed with D Mitchell’s play but needs more floor time to get comfortable on offensive end. As said before Crawford is very frustrating to watch. Always seems to pick the wrong times to be, in his mind anyway, decisive or assertive.

This is the real problem. You can read through post game threads after all of our games and posters want more Sarr after one game, more Mitchell after another. They combined to shoot 14% tonight. Thompson doesn't do anything well but he also doesn't make the huge fuckups those two do.

So in every game we're essentially playing 4 on 5. UVA doubled Moore on ever touch. Given that scenario, we're simply not going to beat the #2 team in the country with Crawford shooting 0% from deep and Keshawn shooting 0% for the game. Throw in Wilbekin making no field goals in the entire 2nd half and we're dead in the water.

Just quote those stats beforehand and tell me whether you'd guess we'd be down 5 at the 4 minute mark.

Wake held them to their 2nd lowest point total of the year - honestly the defensive scheme and effort was excellent. Manning may well be pulling all the wrong strings so far this year, but it might be like choosing the hottest girl on the softball team. 4 guard lineup, loser. More Thompson, loser. More Sarr, loser. More Mitchell, loser. The player who gets shit on the most had the best game of any guard tonight - Childress. Even if Manning is a poor in-game coach, the solution to this Wake team - if there is one - is not easy.

Insightful, substantive post.

I listened on the radio. Sounded like the story of this season. Winnable game, choked away in the final minutes with poor turnovers or bad shots (sounded like Crawford was a culprit once again).

Can’t say I am surprised but If Manning doesn’t figure out how to get a win at some point recruits may start to scare off. I obviously couldn’t see but it sounded like around the 8-12 minute mark we had several open threes that we didn’t hit that would have given us a 5-8 point lead st that point. Virginia hit the 2 chances they had coming out of the 8 minute timeout and that was the difference.

Crawford 4-12 with six turnovers. Key 0-3. Wilbekin hit a few in the first half but was non existent in the second half.

Just sucks. I hate losing.

Honest, heartfelt post.

Dumbest strategy yet for DM. Get a stop and we have a chance to cut it to three with 1:20 or so left. Crawford fouled Hall on his own and then DM orders an intentional on Hall with 1:30 left. We have no chance in close games with Crawford on the court and DM on the bench. Dumb coach and anti-clutch player.

Myopic top 100 NC lawyer post.

This is the real problem. You can read through post game threads after all of our games and posters want more Sarr after one game, more Mitchell after another. They combined to shoot 14% tonight. Thompson doesn't do anything well but he also doesn't make the huge fuckups those two do.

So in every game we're essentially playing 4 on 5. UVA doubled Moore on ever touch. Given that scenario, we're simply not going to beat the #2 team in the country with Crawford shooting 0% from deep and Keshawn shooting 0% for the game. Throw in Wilbekin making no field goals in the entire 2nd half and we're dead in the water.

Just quote those stats beforehand and tell me whether you'd guess we'd be down 5 at the 4 minute mark.

Wake held them to their 2nd lowest point total of the year - honestly the defensive scheme and effort was excellent. Manning may well be pulling all the wrong strings so far this year, but it might be like choosing the hottest girl on the softball team. 4 guard lineup, loser. More Thompson, loser. More Sarr, loser. More Mitchell, loser. The player who gets shit on the most had the best game of any guard tonight - Childress. Even if Manning is a poor in-game coach, the solution to this Wake team - if there is one - is not easy.

Exactly.

I love Sarr’s upside, but he makes mistakes in bunches.

Mitchell versus Deandre Hunter of UVA. Hunter is a PF/C and Mitchell is not strong enough yet.

At this point, I don't really care about the mistakes. I would rather see young players get in-game experience. Brown, Sarr, Mitchell, and Eggleston are the future. Why not let them get comfortable? I'd rather those guys come into 2018-2019 with confidence (and not transfer). Sarr made a lot of stupid mistakes, but he flashed a lot of potential, too. Being able to let guys like Olivier and Chaundee experiment with their abilities in real games is a silver lining to this awful season.

We have a mess at the point guard position that will take an off-season to even address, let alone work out, but we have a lot of young guys who could really use more reps in the meantime. I have no idea why we're playing guys like Thompson while we sit 8-10 at the bottom of the ACC. We should use this as an opportunity to get our young guys as many minutes as possible, so that we can use the off-season to attempt to address this incredibly flawed team.

(Also, will we see Rich Washington this season?)

I think we had 2 bad TOs that lead to breakaway layups that destroyed our lead. Overall, we looked solid other than Crawford's TOs which were unfortunately 6 bad ones. Virginia is obviously great defensively and generate some good looks for their guys with that offense of theirs.

At this point, I don't really care about the mistakes. I would rather see young players get in-game experience. Brown, Sarr, Mitchell, and Eggleston are the future. Why not let them get comfortable? I'd rather those guys come into 2018-2019 with confidence (and not transfer). Sarr made a lot of stupid mistakes, but he flashed a lot of potential, too. Being able to let guys like Olivier and Chaundee experiment with their abilities in real games is a silver lining to this awful season.

We have a mess at the point guard position that will take an off-season to even address, let alone work out, but we have a lot of young guys who could really use more reps in the meantime. I have no idea why we're playing guys like Thompson while we sit 8-10 at the bottom of the ACC. We should use this as an opportunity to get our young guys as many minutes as possible, so that we can use the off-season to attempt to address this incredibly flawed team.

(Also, will we see Rich Washington this season?)

Very much agree with this. Why doesn’t Melo get to play anymore? He’s athletic and has shown flashes of potential. Let him play minutes at the 3/4. He and Brown should be getting way more minutes. (I realize Brown played more last night and wasn’t necessarily fantastic offensively, but I don’t care. He’s the future, let him play through it and learn.)

Mitchell was a bright spot for me today. I won't be surprised if he takes Thompson's starting spot before the end of the season. Not that it really matters, because starting for Manning doesn't necessarily mean you're going to play more

I agree Thompson is not good but Donovan played 14 minutes, scored 0 points, 2 rebounds and you are impressed? How about Melo out there for say 4-5 minutes (instead of leaving him rusting on the bench) as a trial?

After watching the game tonight, a couple of thoughts. I think Woods is more seriously hurt than we have been told or at least that I have heard. He was never quick but he seems to really be struggling now and I wonder if he does not have a torn MCL or something like that. He cannot even get a shot off at this point. Thompson, Sarr and Mitchell did not give us much tonight as has been well documented. Unfortunately for Thompson he is a senior and it is now time to play the younger guys including SJM and see who improves with PT. Brandon played a nice game tonight and it was nice to see Chaundee get a little more run but I would like to see Melo get some time when he goes out. This team must get a complete game out of Bryant or we have no chance of winning and I think he is just pressing so much right now that he is incapable of giving that to us right now. Does not get any easier with Duke, Louisville and Clemson on the horizon.

Good post. I have the same concerns regarding Woods - he looks tentative and limited in his mobility.

After watching the game tonight, a couple of thoughts. I think Woods is more seriously hurt than we have been told or at least that I have heard. He was never quick but he seems to really be struggling now and I wonder if he does not have a torn MCL or something like that. He cannot even get a shot off at this point. Thompson, Sarr and Mitchell did not give us much tonight as has been well documented. Unfortunately for Thompson he is a senior and it is now time to play the younger guys including SJM and see who improves with PT. Brandon played a nice game tonight and it was nice to see Chaundee get a little more run but I would like to see Melo get some time when he goes out. This team must get a complete game out of Bryant or we have no chance of winning and I think he is just pressing so much right now that he is incapable of giving that to us right now. Does not get any easier with Duke, Louisville and Clemson on the horizon.

Glad somebody brought this up. Woods does look like he's playing on 1 leg, and yeah, he cannot even get off a shot. That isn't helping.

I was there, they were definitely boos as we stopped fouling thank goodness.

I was there too. The boos started when the Virginia fans (and there were lots of them) started celebrating, reminiscent of the Dookies cheering after Giles undercut Collins and John was on his back under the basket.

Sarr / Mitchell / Brown - Seem athletic, play hard and show lots of potential. Downside is Sarr can't hit layups and the other two seem really unsure of their roles with sporadic playing time.

When Childress uses the mid-range pull up and does't press too much, then he's pretty solid.

Woods might be the least effective player on the team in my opinion. He is good until he goes up against a C- or better defender. He also couldn't guard a stop sign.

Wilbekin has surprised me this year. He is playing better D than I think he gets credit for and doesn't make many dumb turnovers.

I agree Thompson is not good but Donovan played 14 minutes, scored 0 points, 2 rebounds and you are impressed? How about Melo out there for say 4-5 minutes (instead of leaving him rusting on the bench) as a trial?

He also plays his absolute heart out. Watch that kid...Focus in on him when he's on the court. He had that really nice block also that wasn't mentioned in your stat line. He definitely has some 6th-8th man type upside to him. I don't ever seeing him starting or us on an NCAAT team but he adds value IMO.

I do agree that Melo needs to squeeze out 4-5 minutes from somewhere. Maybe 2 from Donovan/2 from Woods 1 from Sarr. We need to learn what Melo's role will ultimately be while he's here and I agree that the best time to experiment is right now.

Last edited:
Melo is a SF. He should play minutes at SF. He should take minutes from our guards.

Dumbest strategy yet for DM. Get a stop and we have a chance to cut it to three with 1:20 or so left. Crawford fouled Hall on his own and then DM orders an intentional on Hall with 1:30 left. We have no chance in close games with Crawford on the court and DM on the bench. Dumb coach and anti-clutch player.
Foul was only option, Virginia would run clock all the way down and you would not have enough possessions left in the game to overcome deficit. Just no weak links to foul.

Back