• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

VT LOLOLOL / NCSU Up on Duke

Gottfried bitches as much as any coach in the ACC.

Question for all of you that think the officials had a hand in this game (not disagreeing with you), do you think the game was evenly called between the two teams but called tight in the second half which benefit Duke, or just not evenly called at all.

I think it was just incredibly inconsistent. They were much more lenient in the first half with the whistle before locking down the 2nd half early and often. CJW and Howell picked up #4 and #3 almost immediately. That changes things drastically. Howell gets called for a charge in the first half for dropping his shoulder on a drive but then Plumlee does the exact same thing and bricks a dunk and there's no call.

Duke's pressure D was basically predicated on hand checks and grabbing, maybe our guys need to sell it better but if you're called touch fouls on us for getting close to Curry/Rivers you gotta call that both ways. I thought they did early but then the foul situation was basically out of control and they let a lot of stuff go.

The stretch that really sticks out in my mind is when State was breaking they missed a layup, Painter got a rebound underneath and pump-faked, then went up and was mauled under the basket and fell down with no call, loose ball that a Duke guard gets to and then barely makes contact with Painter (who is on the ground from getting mauled) and Painter gets whistled for the trip. Duke shoots ft's.

We were absolutely the better team last night for long stretches but when CJW, CJL, and Howell combine for 60 total minutes you're not going to win much. CJW... a guard... fouled out in 12 total minutes. Unreal.

The thing that is truly amazing is that Duke shot 29 3's yet drew 24 fouls and shot 28 ft's. Amazing.

And with that, I'll stop bitching about it on another teams board.

total fouls on the plumlees = 3.

lolol.

when you play at duke, you know going in you're going to lose at least one key player to foul trouble, same thing in chapel hill.

it took the refs sitting 3 to get duke in a position to win. state is not a great team, but they would have blown duke out with even decent officiating. it was pretty clear cj williams was not going to be allowed to stay in this game. his absence meant tons of minutes and no rest for brown and johnson, allowing duke's rested guards to get the shots necessary down the stretch.

everybody in the conference has seen this script over and over. it's horrible to watch, but it's a fact of life in the acc.

I think it was just incredibly inconsistent. They were much more lenient in the first half with the whistle before locking down the 2nd half early and often. CJW and Howell picked up #4 and #3 almost immediately. That changes things drastically. Howell gets called for a charge in the first half for dropping his shoulder on a drive but then Plumlee does the exact same thing and bricks a dunk and there's no call.

Duke's pressure D was basically predicated on hand checks and grabbing, maybe our guys need to sell it better but if you're called touch fouls on us for getting close to Curry/Rivers you gotta call that both ways. I thought they did early but then the foul situation was basically out of control and they let a lot of stuff go.

The stretch that really sticks out in my mind is when State was breaking they missed a layup, Painter got a rebound underneath and pump-faked, then went up and was mauled under the basket and fell down with no call, loose ball that a Duke guard gets to and then barely makes contact with Painter (who is on the ground from getting mauled) and Painter gets whistled for the trip. Duke shoots ft's.

We were absolutely the better team last night for long stretches but when CJW, CJL, and Howell combine for 60 total minutes you're not going to win much. CJW... a guard... fouled out in 12 total minutes. Unreal.

The thing that is truly amazing is that Duke shot 29 3's yet drew 24 fouls and shot 28 ft's. Amazing.

And with that, I'll stop bitching about it on another teams board.

Not really. K has been doing that for two decades now. It's the single thing that makes him such an effective coach. He figured out a long time ago that the most inefficient way to score in college basketball was the mid range jumper. Consequently you very, very rarely see Duke attempt shots from the 8-20 foot range. It's drilled into their players. Almost everything they take is behind the arc, in the post, or driving to the basket. It's the reason they take so many 3s yet still shoot so many free throws .

total fouls on the plumlees = 3.

lolol.

when you play at duke, you know going in you're going to lose at least one key player to foul trouble, same thing in chapel hill.

it took the refs sitting 3 to get duke in a position to win. state is not a great team, but they would have blown duke out with even decent officiating. it was pretty clear cj williams was not going to be allowed to stay in this game. his absence meant tons of minutes and no rest for brown and johnson, allowing duke's rested guards to get the shots necessary down the stretch.

everybody in the conference has seen this script over and over. it's horrible to watch, but it's a fact of life in the acc.

he lives.

hey gottfried, you don't hedge on high ball screens in cameron you dummy!

I watched 90% of that game and I would say I thought it was surprisingly evenly called....that is until Duke decided to press and the refs swallowed the whistle that they'd been blowing freely up until that point in the half.
NCSU shit the bed, but Duke was lucky as fuck. I mean, nothing was going in and then all of a sudden rivers and curry (or maybe just curry) start bombing 26/27ft 3s with little to no ball movement and they all go in....I mean kudos to those two for good shooting and that they went in but the shot selection was terrible and Duke was frankly lucky that they went in....it's one thing if you do the typical Duke motion and get a good look, but they'd just pull up and boom...3.
I feel like it happened 3 or 4 times in the last 7 or 8 minutes

Duke starters
Miles Plumlee - 1 foul
Mason Plumlee - 2 fouls
Seth Curry - 1 foul
Tyler Thorton - 4 fouls
Austin Rivers - 2 fouls

State starters
Howell - 5 fouls
CJ Williams - 5 fouls
CJ Leslie - 5 fouls
Scott Wood - 3 fouls
Zo Brown - 0 fouls

Duke starters
Miles Plumlee - 1 foul
Mason Plumlee - 2 fouls
Seth Curry - 1 foul
Tyler Thorton - 4 fouls
Austin Rivers - 2 fouls

State starters
Howell - 5 fouls
CJ Williams - 5 fouls
CJ Leslie - 5 fouls
Scott Wood - 3 fouls
Zo Brown - 0 fouls

This happens a lot in Cameron.

I am not a big fan of State but I was hoping the could pull the upset. I am very tired of this league being dominated by two teams.

It may happen, but it's bogus for three starters on one team to foul out, while the only member of Duke's starting unit in foul trouble averages 3pts/game.

The ACC office has the officials doing Duke games wear those buzzers like in the Buffalo Wild Wings commericials, when Duke gets in trouble they hit the button and the refs know to step it up.

Watched this game with some classmates. A dukie offered bet me, straight up, that duke would win when they were down by 17. I should have known better than to take that bet.

Duke starters
Miles Plumlee - 1 foul
Mason Plumlee - 2 fouls
Seth Curry - 1 foul
Tyler Thorton - 4 fouls
Austin Rivers - 2 fouls

State starters
Howell - 5 fouls
CJ Williams - 5 fouls
CJ Leslie - 5 fouls
Scott Wood - 3 fouls
Zo Brown - 0 fouls

ballgame.

Duke starters
Miles Plumlee - 1 foul
Mason Plumlee - 2 fouls
Seth Curry - 1 foul
Tyler Thorton - 4 fouls
Austin Rivers - 2 fouls

State starters
Howell - 5 fouls
CJ Williams - 5 fouls
CJ Leslie - 5 fouls
Scott Wood - 3 fouls
Zo Brown - 0 fouls

It's always nice to be able to predict at the beginning of any Duke game in any season exactly which players will be in foul trouble for them and be right 90+% of the time.

Back