• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake (#9 CFP, #5 SOR) at UNC (UNC-2.5) 12:00 noon, ABC

I know State and Clemson have had a bunch of defensive guys with season-ending injuries. If anything I think we're probably below average for injuries

Saw somewhere that State has 8 guys missing from their two-deep defense yet still held Louisville to 13 points and FSU to 14.

Without a doubt their offensive style helps their defense as much as Wake's tempo on offense hinders its defense.

But at some point blaming injuries and offensive tempo for piss poor (not just bad... but piss poor) defensive performances has to stop.

Saw somewhere that State has 8 guys missing from their two-deep defense yet still held Louisville to 13 points and FSU to 14.

Without a doubt their offensive style helps their defense as much as Wake's tempo on offense hinders its defense.

But at some point blaming injuries and offensive tempo for piss poor (not just bad... but piss poor) defensive performances has to stop.

Agree with your last sentence 100%. To be clear, when I discuss injuries and their impact on the game, I am referring directly to Clawson’s postgame comments pinning our defensive troubles on injuries

LSU for all their problems is missing a whole team with injuries. Like to be able to have the talent they have on their third team. We have injuries, but we still hurt with the Jimmies and the Joes. It is a worn out argument, but at some point we need to turn success into better recruiting. Looks like the portal is becoming increasingly important to our program. Our defense was not good against and easy schedule before the injuries.

Agree with your last sentence 100%. To be clear, when I discuss injuries and their impact on the game, I am referring directly to Clawson’s postgame comments pinning our defensive troubles on injuries

Yep - I'm with you on that and also detected a different level of frustration in his postgame comments when he mentioned the defense not playing well again.

Perhaps yesterday was the straw that finally broke the camel's back. 330 yards rushing allowed to this UNC offensive line??

So honest questions. Preface to say I think ND has what is generally considered to be a pretty good college defense. If they had played a 15 possession game against UNC there instead of 11, then the game would have been in the 50s.

Do you think that a ND type program has the inherent advantages that would allow them to play high number of possession football regarding defensive depth?

Also, if ND had had 4 bad possessions in a game that had more total possessions, would UNC have likely won the game?

There is a complimentary aspect to football. If you are scoring quickly and have a high number of possessions in a game, then multiple poor possessions can result in big swings in points and puts stress on a defense that is depth challenged especially if they have injuries in the game.

We need to totally change it up on D. UNC is the worst matchup for our playing style. We are going to have to adjust our schemes to maybe actually be in position to make plays on D as opposed to getting broken arms arm tackling. It appears to me that there is some solid individual talent there. Nos. 30, 35, 22, 91 need to get better in a hurry.

I think there is a difference between in season injuries and in game injuries.

In both Army and UNC we lost players to injury in game on defense that dramatically changed what we looked like.

Now, that needs to be addressed by adding depth.

Our offensive style certainly hurts our defense both because of the number of possessions and the raw amount of time they are on the field and the impact on fatigue, etc. But our defense is just awful regardless. Our D is bad in the first quarter (when they should be fresh), our D is bad when we rotate in subs. And it’s pretty obvious just from watching our guys get run over.

it just sucks the loss came to the holes. they suck shit. hell their defense gave up 55 points.

I think that having to settle for the FG after we recovered their fumble on the first play of the game had a huge impact on the game. If we score a TD, there is a good chance that UNC folds. Instead, they get the momentum by forcing a FG and then scoring a TD of their own.

I think that having to settle for the FG after we recovered their fumble on the first play of the game had a huge impact on the game. If we score a TD, there is a good chance that UNC folds. Instead, they get the momentum by forcing a FG and then scoring a TD of their own.

Agreed. I woke up wondering how the game would be different if Clawson and the staff saw Morin wasn’t on the line and called a timeout.

Touchdown there and a touchdown drive to start second half and we win. If you’re going to win by out scoring opponents then those are two places we had to have 7.

It hurt us that the few times the defense got stops or turnovers the offense decided to lay an egg on the following drives. And put the defense right back out there to give up a touchdown.

FSU was playing without 25 guys due to flu including their starting qb

What I don’t understand is that on offense - We seem to have depth and when guys get hurt - we plug in and don’t miss a beat. Could also be that we can scheme better on offense to fit the personnel where defense you just have to get stops. We’re never gonna have depth most of our competitors have but seems like we are biting off our nose to spite our face in some senses. Can we run RPO/mesh but just slow it a bit?

Sucks to lose guys to injuries. We built depth all off-season. Then lose guys and we are allegedly prepared to lose guys and fall to pieces. This is coaching on the defensive side of the ball.

Can’t wait for advanced stats.

plays like that are not a new thing for zion keith unfortunately.

Our defense was bad, but that kid really shit the bed. The hit out of bounds was simply inexcusable - it wasn’t even momentum, he slung him to the ground

Our defense was bad, but that kid really shit the bed. The hit out of bounds was simply inexcusable - it wasn’t even momentum, he slung him to the ground

Given just how pissed Clawson appeared post-game, he may not see the field for a very, very long time.

Given just how pissed Clawson appeared post-game, he may not see the field for a very, very long time.

Clawson isn’t going to have a choice whether or not to play him next week. We are way too thin there. He will play A LOT.

Back