• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake (#9 CFP, #5 SOR) at UNC (UNC-2.5) 12:00 noon, ABC

So basically wake is vastly overachieving with their recruits and Clemson is vastly underachieving with theirs.

So basically wake is vastly overachieving with their recruits and Clemson is vastly underachieving with theirs.

pretty much

But you could add in Miami, UNC, FSU to the vastly underachieving group.

Just listened to Mac's presser out of curiosity. Stuff we all know.. said WF's offense is so difficult for them to prepare for because they have to rely on man coverage against our elite WR's on the outside due to the slow mesh/run threat. Didn't sound to confident in his corners as he rambled on, noting how wake is +10 in TO margin, while UNC can't seem to make plays on Defense. The last question was on the spread.. "You have been glowing about WF being a top team in the country today, why do you think Vegas has UNC is favored to win?" He dodged that one and threw out of some BS about the volatility in the games this year across the board in CF. He also noted that UNC will have normal full day practice on Sunday in prep for Pitt.

I love being the underdog here.. Would love to blow them out and have the D play really well, forcing multiple turnovers and letting the O pile it on.

Not that I would ever defend Mack Brown, but I don’t really think any coach should ever have to answer to what Vegas says the spread is. It’s not his issue or something he has to defend. Vegas might’ve set the line based on some mix of public perception and actual on field results.

Now can Clawson use it as motivation? Certainly.

I see what you're saying; however, I think there's a difference between a coach answering about "you're favored" vs. "Vegas has you giving 2.5."

Not that I would ever defend Mack Brown, but I don’t really think any coach should ever have to answer to what Vegas says the spread is. It’s not his issue or something he has to defend. Vegas might’ve set the line based on some mix of public perception and actual on field results.

Now can Clawson use it as motivation? Certainly.

Oh I agree, I definitely didn't expect any coach to make any comments regarding the spread.. It was a really dumb question, and his BSing around it was to be expected for any coach as its not something that any coach would want to step in.. discussing a spread on the game he's coaching. I would assume it can only help us in terms of motivation for a beatdown, not that the team needed it.

Doesn't seem like this team needs bulletin board material to get motivated, but there is a lot heading into this weekend. Not from UNC, but from "pundits" claiming how WF is not worthy.

Doesn't seem like this team needs bulletin board material to get motivated, but there is a lot heading into this weekend. Not from UNC, but from "pundits" claiming how WF is not worthy.

Seems like on this team the players are doing a great job of motivating each other. Let's keep it going.

We are:

#4 in Turnover Margin at +10
#18 in Red Zone Defense
#55 Scoring Defense (MSU 29, Bama 30, Oregon 50)
#6 Scoring Offense (OH St 1, Bama 2, OK 7, Oregon 23, MSU 29)
#17 Tackles for Loss (only Cinci has more and is ranked higher than us)
And I can't find it anywhere but we are like #48 in Stop Rate on Defense

Guess what? There's more than 1 way to win a game. None of our metrics are particularly way out of line with anyone ahead of us. Absent 2 late TDs against Cuse / LVille (only 2 one-score games) and the Army outlier, the D has played well enough to get us to this point.

It's clear to anyone watching the games the Deacs are the 2nd best team in College Football behind Georgia. But Georgia is full of chokers, so we're still gonna beat them

by my simple math, and not adjusting for opponents FCS games or games against Wake, the Deacs have held four of seven FBS opponents under their season scoring average

ODU 9.7; FSU 17.7; UVA 21.4; DUKE 14.60

They have had three games where they allowed more: Louisville 4.7; Syracuse 11.6 (OT); and Army 21.4.

On average, allowing 3.67 points below the opponents average, which to me is not atrocious. In ACC games, the number goes to 7.5. Again, not a top 5 defense, but certainly one that is capable of slowing down decent offenses.

Like I’ve been saying, we have an average defense that can make big plays.

The Deacs are 97th country in time of possession, largely because WF runs up tempo and scores quickly. That means the defense is on the field more than about 75% of the rest of FBS teams. This naturally will lead to more points surrendered. The defense had a bad stretch with the L'ville, Cuse and Army games. For WF to have a chance to run the table, the defense has to play better than it did in those three games. Shutting out Duke until garbage time was a good step. Much bigger test this week.

Like I’ve been saying, we have an average defense that can make big plays.

Agree. We severely limited FSU and a strong UVa offense and did enough to beat Louisville and Syracuse. Army was another story. Then we obliterated Duke.

We are:

#4 in Turnover Margin at +10
#18 in Red Zone Defense
#55 Scoring Defense (MSU 29, Bama 30, Oregon 50)
#6 Scoring Offense (OH St 1, Bama 2, OK 7, Oregon 23, MSU 29)
#17 Tackles for Loss (only Cinci has more and is ranked higher than us)
And I can't find it anywhere but we are like #48 in Stop Rate on Defense

Guess what? There's more than 1 way to win a game. None of our metrics are particularly way out of line with anyone ahead of us. Absent 2 late TDs against Cuse / LVille (only 2 one-score games) and the Army outlier, the D has played well enough to get us to this point.

Totally agree and great post.

The only thing I'd add is that the defense has given up a ton of explosive plays (mostly run plays) which makes it feel like they're playing worse than they probably are. It's not just a slow methodical break down of our defense...it's people getting burned for a 75 yd. quick strike or gashed by 20+ yard runs over and over again because they're way out of position, or because we drop coverage in situations when we should send pressure, we press when we should be in prevent and vice versa, etc... Time of possession is probably pretty bad without looking it up.

I'm sure that drives up our scoring defense metrics and is reflected somewhere in the #55 scoring defense, but for the casual observer, it probably makes our defense look worse than someone like MSU's or even Oregon's. Most of the people on the CFPB committee are going to be casual observers at this point. In 3-4 weeks, they'll know a lot more about the teams left standing and I think they start to look at the above stats and make the appropriate adjustments. I can't see a scenario where we are left out if we win every remaining game on our schedule and secure a W in the ACCCG with those above rankings.

ETA: Games like Syracuse are why our defense is getting disrespected by the national talking heads. Syracuse is largely one-dimensional and we knew their QB was more of a running threat than a passing threat entering the game and he ran all over us. We get a pass for the Army game to a certain extent, but if we don't have another UVA type of showing from our defense and UNC/State especially abuse our D, the committee will keep talking about how we would get killed versus 'real' competition...

Last edited:
The Deacs are 97th country in time of possession, largely because WF runs up tempo and scores quickly. That means the defense is on the field more than about 75% of the rest of FBS teams. This naturally will lead to more points surrendered. The defense had a bad stretch with the L'ville, Cuse and Army games. For WF to have a chance to run the table, the defense has to play better than it did in those three games. Shutting out Duke until garbage time was a good step. Much bigger test this week.

Exactly.

Back