• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake (#9 CFP, #5 SOR) at UNC (UNC-2.5) 12:00 noon, ABC

If your defense gives up two fluke touchdowns in a game, along with six other touchdowns, that's bad defense.
So if Wake wins 28 14 we are awesome. 70 56 means you suck. Football is score more points and you win. The game has changed.

I said the defense is bad if it gives up 56 points. Seems like a pretty fair statement.

I said the defense is bad if it gives up 56 points. Seems like a pretty fair statement.
Except you don't balance it. How many times you see an offense score 70. You kick off 10 times the opposing team gets lots of chances. Your Georgia centric views shine through. Defense wins games. I'm not sure that's true anymore.

In addition Wake scoring defense ranks 55 which includes Army. Not Georgia, but not terrible.

I'm not talking about what wins games. I'm talking about bad defense. Army punted one time in that game. They also had an interception and a lost fumble and the defense deserves credit for that.

And the narrative about that game wouldn't be so bad if the defense hadn't given up a touchdown with 38 seconds left that brought the Army total to 56.

Consensus among the idiots is Sam Howell is a lock for The League. Hartman leads Howell in every metric of Qbs today, except taking sacks. Howell definitely has run the ball more. He's one hit away from ruining his future and Mack Brown doesn't care.

I'm not talking about what wins games. I'm talking about bad defense. Army punted one time in that game. They also had an interception and a lost fumble and the defense deserves credit for that.

And the narrative about that game wouldn't be so bad if the defense hadn't given up a touchdown with 38 seconds left that brought the Army total to 56.

Wake's defense was horrendous

that last touchdown did nothing to the narrative, that was already written the other 59 minutes of the game

I didn't say it wasn't bad.. my point was that everyone uses "they gave up 56 points to Army" as the reason... Sure that's bad. However, one game vs a triple option O, where we scored 70 points and they had the ball for 45 minutes, doesn't mean the same as giving up 56 points to a team like UVA, FSU, etc... Notice how ESPN only mentioned army. Did Duke score 56. No. 7 (should have been zero). Did FSU, UVA, Syracuse score 56. No. Just think that its apples and oranges to put the 56 points out there as equivalent to the D's ability against ACC/Power 5 competition, which is probably more in the 28-35 point range on a bad day on D.. with a Top 5 offense.

UNC's defense is laughably bad - it's just as bad as it was under Fedora, when they were giving up 70 points a game to the likes of ECU. Wake's offense should be able move at will against them. The only question is how will UNC's offense play, and how effective Wake's defense can be against them. Imo, Wake will only need a few stops on defense, as our offense should put up lots of points.

We'd better double team Josh Downs (#11)

We'd better double team Josh Downs (#11)

Just to show how far UNC has fallen off at skill positions, last year they had two RBs in the top 25 in rushing yards. This year, they have one RB at #42 and Howell at #65 which is between Willis and Shrader for most yards among QBs.

Downs is #4 in rec yards and they don't have any other players in the top 100. Dyami Brown was #17 last year.

By the way, Roberson and Perry are #18 and #20. Wake is the only program with two WR in the top 20.

Current stats of guys that transferred from Wake last year other than KWIII, because I was curious

James Ash- USF, not on the roster
Malik Puryear- Coahoma Community College, 24 tackles, 7 TFL, 4 Sack
Nolan Groulx- Charlotte- 0 catches
Casey Washington- Illinois- 15 catches, 142 yards
Isaiah Isaac- ?
Ja'cquez Williams- ULM, 23 Tackles, 1 Sack, 1 Int, 1 TD
Michael Allen- WKU, 4 tackles
Shamar McCollum- Ga St, 8 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF
Trey Rucker- OK St, 3 tackles
Peyton Woulard- Campbell, 17 tackles, 1 Int, 1 FF
Isaiah Essima- Nevada, 9 tackles, 1 Int
Kendrell Flower- SC State, 88 rushes, 421 yards, 7 TDs, 2 Rec TDs

Just listened to Mac's presser out of curiosity. Stuff we all know.. said WF's offense is so difficult for them to prepare for because they have to rely on man coverage against our elite WR's on the outside due to the slow mesh/run threat. Didn't sound to confident in his corners as he rambled on, noting how wake is +10 in TO margin, while UNC can't seem to make plays on Defense. The last question was on the spread.. "You have been glowing about WF being a top team in the country today, why do you think Vegas has UNC is favored to win?" He dodged that one and threw out of some BS about the volatility in the games this year across the board in CF. He also noted that UNC will have normal full day practice on Sunday in prep for Pitt.

I love being the underdog here.. Would love to blow them out and have the D play really well, forcing multiple turnovers and letting the O pile it on.

I'm with Biff on this one. Our D puts a lot of pressure on the O to keep scoring (except the Duke game, notably). Which we have done. But you worry about a Hartman off game.

Current stats of guys that transferred from Wake last year other than KWIII, because I was curious

Isaiah Isaac- ?

I was really high on Shamar McCollum.

wow...Nolan Groux is having a tough time as a college football player. As a reminder he was ranked much higher that Roberson, Perry, Morin, and Keshawn Williams- all of whom are making significant contributions to a top 10 team.

Isaiah Isaac- ?

Great research. Had assumed that Trey Rucker was done at OK State after his arrest. FWIW, Casey Washington (who transferred to WF and then back to Illinois after an issue with the transfer of his credits) caught the game-winning PAT in Illinois' win at Penn State.

I was really high on Shamar McCollum.

Nolan, Shamar, and Michael Allen were all 4/5 star recruits with tons of offers. Crazy how none of those 3 d
Really panned out and further proof that recruiting rankings aren’t accurate as to who can be a contributor at P5 level.

Recruiting rankings are plenty accurate. If you have several 4 or 5 stars, it's more likely you'll have great players with one or two duds. If you have one or two 4 or stars, they could be the duds.

Yeah, I looked at # of stars and the NFL draft around a year ago, and for the year I reviewed it was something like

50% of 5-stars eventually get drafted
20% of 4-stars
3% of 3-stars
<.1% of 2-stars

(this was one year and #samplesize, and don't hold me to the exact percentages - they're here on the boards if someone wants to search for them)

Recruiting rankings are plenty accurate. If you have several 4 or 5 stars, it's more likely you'll have great players with one or two duds. If you have one or two 4 or stars, they could be the duds.

Also bears mentioning that there are often extenuating circumstances when a heralded ranked recruit commits to a less heralded program.

Back