• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake and A D

With that being said, we can agree that Ron Wellman is the most succcessful AD in the history of Wake Forest. However I, along with a lot of other people think it is time for him to step aside and let the next AD come in who will focus on the success of the basketball program and restore it to its former position. Wake's national reputation has always been predicated on the basketball program and will continue to be. No one nationally cares how good our tennis, soccer, field hockey or golf team is.

Yeah, I have no problem with any of this except the last sentence. Several thousand people regularly attend men’s soccer games. People care about many sports at Wake outside of basketball and football, but obviously those are the most popular.

Yeah, I have no problem with any of this except the last sentence. Several thousand people regularly attend men’s soccer games. People care about many sports at Wake outside of basketball and football, but obviously those are the most popular.

I realize it's hard to keep ahead of all of this with the talking points but that's not what lbdeac94 posted. He said, again, "No one nationally cares how good our tennis, soccer, field hockey or golf team is."

And he's 100% correct. Nationally, about two people give two fucks about our tennis, soccer and field hockey programs.

So Wellman now gets credit for keeping the ACC together. So if Wake had hired a competent AD, the ACC would have collapsed and Wake would have been competing with Davidson?

I think we are underselling Wellman. Pretty sure he has dramatically slowed the rate of global warming. Without him Wake would have an ocean front campus.

He prevented the secession of CA from the US and is the main reason no foreign power has detonated a nuclear weapon on us soil.

Build that bastard a statue.

I realize it's hard to keep ahead of all of this with the talking points but that's not what lbdeac94 posted. He said, again, "No one nationally cares how good our tennis, soccer, field hockey or golf team is."

And he's 100% correct. Nationally, about two people give two fucks about our tennis, soccer and field hockey programs.

When Wake won the Belk Bowl there were 1,988 “likes” on Twitter. A month earlier when the men’s soccer team beat Butler in the NCAA round of 16 there were 409 “likes.” Those seem like reasonably comparable events.

The criteria is Wake fans national. Your post is the first I’ve heard of this national championship. Actually it’s all I’ve heard.

Well you're apparently not on Twitter and don't read the threads on the boards or read the Wake Forest website

Nope. And neither are the large majority of Wake fans and alums. I am on Facebook and I've seen nothing.

I'm not discounting it at all. I'm just saying if what happened (and I still don't know what actually happened) was enough to redeem Wellman of what he did to our flagship athletic program, I think I would have heard about it.

Last edited:
Which speaks to the ineffectiveness of our SID. I believe this is also under Wellman's umbrella, but we do not make effective use of social media, or even email. I'm not sure if it is a budgeting or a priority issue, but our marketing for the athletic department is pretty poor.

This is a point in which I very much agree with DonaldRoss.

For the record both Wake Forest Sports and Wake Forest University posted about the championship on FB. Wake Forest Sports posted after every match as well.

Now I don’t know if other schools post more often or if there is some control which helps this stuff get higher on your newsfeed. I do agree that our marketing department doesn’t seem to be on the cutting edge.

Nope. And neither are the large majority of Wake fans and alums. I am on Facebook and I've seen nothing.

It was on Facebook and had over 1000 likes last night. It was tweeted by a ton of Wake Forest folks, including Dave Clawson. Sean Hannity even tweeted it to his 3.4 million followers. There were also a ton of posts on this message board about it.

It’s too bad you missed it. It was an incredibly impressive run. We beat the three most storied college tennis programs (USC, Stanford, UCLA) and the host school (Washington) on the way to the championship.

It was on Facebook and had over 1000 likes last night. It was tweeted by a ton of Wake Forest folks, including Dave Clawson. Sean Hannity even tweeted it to his 3.4 million followers. There were also a ton of posts on this message board about it.

It’s too bad you missed it. It was an incredibly impressive run. We beat the three most storied college tennis programs (USC, Stanford, UCLA) and the host school (Washington) on the way to the championship.

wow, Sean Hannity tweeted about his kid's team?

does the NCAA recognize indoor ITA as a championship? I see no mention of it here

In regards to the facilities, WFU is just keeping up with everybody else. They are nicer here now, like they are nicer everywhere now.

So Wellman now gets credit for keeping the ACC together. So if Wake had hired a competent AD, the ACC would have collapsed and Wake would have been competing with Davidson?

I think we are underselling Wellman. Pretty sure he has dramatically slowed the rate of global warming. Without him Wake would have an ocean front campus.

He prevented the secession of CA from the US and is the main reason no foreign power has detonated a nuclear weapon on us soil.

Build that bastard a statue.

In all seriousness, Wellman worked his balls off to keep us in the ACC and our conference intact.

In all seriousness, Wellman worked his balls off to keep us in the ACC and our conference intact.

In all seriousness, were they planning on disbanding the ACC or just kicking Wake out?

Sounds like Fake News.

Fair point. While you would think/hope whomever was WF's AD would be able to see that WF would be left to twist in the wind if the ACC collapsed (which many people predicted when re-alignment was in full gear), by all accounts Wellman was critical in brokering the deal that expanded the ACC and kept FSU and Clemson from following through with the SEC and Big 12 flirtations.

Which is all fine and good. Thank you, Ron Wellman for keeping Wake in the ACC and the ACC together. Why can't the AD apologists also agree that Ron Wellman has a responsibility for maintaining the health of the school's flagship program? He certainly has not and there have been zero consequences to date.

Which is all fine and good. Thank you, Ron Wellman for keeping Wake in the ACC and the ACC together. Why can't the AD apologists also agree that Ron Wellman has a responsibility for maintaining the health of the school's flagship program?

I'm agreeing with you here and agreed with you yesterday (post #83 above).

Rafi, are you an AD apologist? I actually appreciate your posts and it is clear to me that you care deeply about Wake Forest. I personally value our basketball program more than any of the Olympic Sports that you mentioned. As exciting as it is to be great at tennis, field hockey (the championships on this front were quite a long time ago) and soccer, those sports do not generate much interest out of Winston-Salem. If you are saying local fans and alumni, plus large donors are what are important to our AD, I think it is starting to make sense to me given the priorities and commitments that have been made to certain sports and not others.

Which is all fine and good. Thank you, Ron Wellman for keeping Wake in the ACC and the ACC together. Why can't the AD apologists also agree that Ron Wellman has a responsibility for maintaining the health of the school's flagship program? He certainly has not and there have been zero consequences to date.

Wellman was so full of himself when he hired [] who was clearly a disaster from the beginning; every knew it, and Wellman continued to act like those that lived and died with WF basketball were idiots. He compounded that disaster when he blamed fans for [] failures. He further contributed to the disaster by refusing to ever publicly recognize the harm []'s tenure inflicted on the program, and he sealed many, if not most, people's opinion of him, by Wellman's failing to ever accept any responsibility for destroying the basketball program. His smug treatment of the fans during after the [] reign of ineptitude is understandably impossible for many to get over.

That said, and the handling of the basketball program over the last 8+ years is a massive stain on Wellman's legacy at WF which will never be erased, does not mean that everything that Wellman did was a catastrophic failure (or that recognizing one accomplishment means acceptance of the basketball failure). Acknowledging certain accomplishments during Wellman's time at WF does not mean that RW gets a pass for the train wreck that WF has been since 2010. Just impossible for RW to ever admit: I got it wrong; I'm sorry. Massive character flaw.

Last edited:
Back