• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2015

Just got back from baseball game in Wilmington. Deacs beat George Mason 9-3. Ton of hits and Pirro looked good in five innings on the mound.

Good day yesterday. Beat GMU 9-3 and WCU 10-2.

Play UNCW today.

Need to play a lot better than our first game vs them....

Who is starting today? Really don't have a third starter yet. Johnstone was pretty solid midweek last year but has been awful to start this season. Not sure about the freshmen, Wil Craig pitched some last year and was effective. Go Deacs!!

Not usually too many folks interested in talking Wake baseball. This team could be historically bad. The only thing in our favor is the ACC schedule sets up less brutal than most years. Pitching is incredibly thin, Our closer Fossas has started 2 games. The freshmen have time to get their feet wet but Gavin Sheets has been a huge disappointment as our everyday 1B. Fairchild and Yurchak have played pretty well. Craig is a beast, Mondou is off to a slow start. Other than Pirro and Dunshee there is no starting pitching. Kelly did throw better today so that is encouraging. Rodriguez strikes out too much to hit leadoff and I'm not even going to pile on Kevin Jordan and his troubles. I hope these guys prove me wrong and until then I'll be staring at the game tracker every game which is excruciatingly painful. Go Deacs.

The entire team strikes out too much but the staff fails to make any adjustments.

Men's soccer is our best sport. Please don't let that too fall in the big hole. That team is competitive in a great league. Crowds come out and players play hard and actually win often.

Men's soccer is our best sport. Please don't let that too fall in the big hole. That team is competitive in a great league. Crowds come out and players play hard and actually win often.

Does Wellman know about this? If not, I wouldn't bring it to his attention.

WFU has been fighting hostility against athletics from the academic administration long before Wellman came here & will long after he has left

WFU has been fighting hostility against athletics from the academic administration long before Wellman came here & will long after he has left

True. But did the academic administration force Jeff [name redacted] down our throats for four years and keep telling us to enjoy the shit sandwich? Did this administration let our football program go to hell in a hand basket before even attempting to fix it?

I don't disagree with your statement. However, Wellman doesn't get to hide behind the skirt of the academics either. The man needs to retire. Yesterday.

Last edited:
What has Nathan Hatch (ultimate man in charge of the entire university) done for athletics ? Please provide a listing.

Nathan Hatch has seemed less friendly and supportive of athletics than his predecessor, Thomas Hearn. While he advocated reform in intercollegiate athletics, and participated in the Knight Commission for many years, and chaired it right before he retired. Wake's greatest athletic successes came just after he retired. Prosser had the men's BB team rolling and the FB team was heading for an ACC title and the Orange Bowl. It would seem that some of the obstacles to athletic success may reach even higher than Wellman.

So very, very true Deaconblue. Only action from the top (Hatch) can unite athletics, academics and admissions to develop teamwork throughout the entire university. Certainly the lessons from athletics and the lessons from chemistry are equally important.

Back