• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2015

It is time for Hatch to retire.True Wellman made a mistake in Buzz hire but his track record has been good with his athletic hires, His problem seems to be when to let go. I still believe the real problem is with Hatch.

Wellman has a poor track record with hires.

Wellman had some pretty good hires - Jen Averill was either his first hire or Hooks last. Grobe, Prosser, Vidovich and it would seem now Manning and Clawson. He also had some clunkers, most notable in mens BB.

Averill was Hooks' last. Vidovich was already here as an assistant and Wellman had to hire him initially at least. Add women's soccer and the tennis hires and that's it.

Averill was Hooks' last. Vidovich was already here as an assistant and Wellman had to hire him initially at least. Add women's soccer and the tennis hires and that's it.

Ignoring Skip Prosser and Jim Grobe.

I think he didn't mention them because they had already been mentioned...

Yes, that is what is implied when you say "Add..."
What did you all think I was adding to?

Wellman had some pretty good hires - Jen Averill was either his first hire or Hooks last. Grobe, Prosser, Vidovich and it would seem now Manning and Clawson. He also had some clunkers, most notable in mens BB.

Yes. Read the above. I'm not sure what you don't understand.

Do a search for threads with Wellman in the title. I've done the research. The majority of the success under Wellman was under coaches hired by Hooks. That's a poor record of hiring coaches.

Yes. Read the above. I'm not sure what you don't understand.

Do a search for threads with Wellman in the title. I've done the research. The majority of the success under Wellman was under coaches hired by Hooks. That's a poor record of hiring coaches.

I read the above, and I understand. I'm just shocked that you actually said something positive about Grobe.

Grobe was a good hire, not a great hire. Wellman hired a .500 coach who delivered a .500 performance. That's good at Wake. Wellman just didn't make sure he maintained the program after giving him a long-term contract.

Grobe won the ACC which alone is what makes him a "great" hire. And that one season is the *only* thing that does. However, as Ph says Wellman did not insure Grobe stayed motivated and engaged during the subsequent 10-year deal. The 10-year deal was also a Wellman screw up, since it probably wasn't necessary to retain Grobe. Just Wellman laziness.

Getting old gives you perspective. Winning the ACC, going to the Orange Bowl, and winning 28 games is 3 years at Wake Forest is one of the greatest accomplishments ever in college football coaching. There are quite a few coaches, former coaches, AD's and broadcasters who agree.

Getting back to baseball the Deacs shutout Towson today 7-0. Dunshee has been unhittable thus far. Curious what he will do once the conference season starts. Any win is a good win for this young bunch.

It is time for Hatch to retire.True Wellman made a mistake in Buzz hire but his track record has been good with his athletic hires, His problem seems to be when to let go. I still believe the real problem is with Hatch.

This...it has always been this. The down turn of our athletic program began with Hatch's arrival. Ask Notre Dame supporters...they are very glad he left. Hatch is no friend of Athletics. Wellman isn't great but the problem is bigger than him

Back