• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2021 | Cusick (1st) + Fleming, Seymour, Menendez, Muntz Drafted

I saw Hartle has thrown an essentially perfect season thus far. Would be very surprised if he suits up for us.

Given we don't have any unexpected transfers this offseason, what kind of lineup are we looking at going into next season?

Just glancing at roster, I'm seeing something like:

Costello
Bennett
Turconi
Tinsman
Cecere
Wilken
Broderick?
Pilat?

Any Fr supposed to come in and make an immediate impact?

I feel good about pitching, so I'm really just focused on offense.

let us know when you post your innings/AB projection

WF's top two 2021 baseball recruits are:

LHP Josh Hartle King, NC
RHP Peter Heubeck Baltimore, MD

MLB.com rates Hartle as #31 prospect in the draft (late first round/early second round) and Heubeck at the #100 prospect. Where either or both gets drafted will depend on a number of factors including willingness to agree to below slot deals. Hartle is HS teammates with another WF 2021 recruit INF Tommy Hawke. Hawke and Hartle attend Reagan HS.

WF has a highly rated recruiting class (but that has been the case for awhile without expected results). Here's a link to the 2021 WF class: https://www.perfectgame.org/College/CollegeCommitments.aspx?college=1848

Both will sign, wouldn’t be shocked to see muntz, Ludwig, Lanzilli back tho. Seymour rounds 4-10 nice organizational guy.

Both will sign, wouldn’t be shocked to see muntz, Ludwig, Lanzilli back tho. Seymour rounds 4-10 nice organizational guy.

Doesn’t sound like there will be a spot on the team for them according to Walter. He said after four years, it’s time for players to move on to bigger and better things either on a baseball diamond or in the job market (I actually agree with him). We need new life and energy. If Walter isn’t canned, then the culture needs to be looked at hard.

After having a little time to think about it, I don’t think having so many guys draft eligible was a good thing for Wake Forest baseball. Too many guys swinging for the fence and not doing the little things to win games. Hopefully next year there’s a good mix of youth and experience to balance things out more.

Here’s the press conference after the sweep. Pretty interesting imo. Doesn’t sound like there was great locker room camaraderie or leadership. https://youtu.be/7DuHQnpxj2A

walter (if he is the coach) would be a fool not to welcome back Lanzilli onto the team as a DH/1b. he might absolutely blow in the field but he'll hit some HRs. wake will blow next year, horrendous looking on paper

Will Craig’s blunder today…I blame Tom Walter. Just kidding. Heard a rumor that a couple kids de committed. Sign he’s on his way out?

If so, could be a result partially from reading these boards. Some pretty strong comments on here from some folks that seem to know a good bit about what they are talking about. We really need to get better with our product on the field.

If so, could be a result partially from reading these boards. Some pretty strong comments on here from some folks that seem to know a good bit about what they are talking about. We really need to get better with our product on the field.

product on the field starts with the culture of the program. Alabama wasn't good until they brought in Nick Saban.

Your comment may be semi tongue in cheek but its not 100 percent wrong. Craig certainly didn't learn executing defensive situations properly and didn't learn any fundamentals from Walter and his crack staff. They don't spend a whole lot of time on situational defense in pro ball and you would think that by the time you get to the big leagues you have some sort of clue on how to execute that kind of play properly. It is unfair to blame Wake coaches for Will Craig completely botching that play but I guarantee that kind of stuff is never worked on at Wake. Hitting bombs in that tiny ballpark, launch angles, exit velo is all they care about. And that's why they consistently underperform.

Will Craig’s blunder today…I blame Tom Walter. Just kidding. Heard a rumor that a couple kids de committed. Sign he’s on his way out?

Your comment may be semi tongue in cheek but its not 100 percent wrong. Craig certainly didn't learn executing defensive situations properly and didn't learn any fundamentals from Walter and his crack staff. They don't spend a whole lot of time on situational defense in pro ball and you would think that by the time you get to the big leagues you have some sort of clue on how to execute that kind of play properly. It is unfair to blame Wake coaches for Will Craig completely botching that play but I guarantee that kind of stuff is never worked on at Wake. Hitting bombs in that tiny ballpark, launch angles, exit velo is all they care about. And that's why they consistently underperform.

Don't go there. Craig's brain fart had nothing to do with whether Walter did or did not teach fundamentals or executing defensive situations. This is the defensive situation: two outs; a ground ball to third; third baseman throws to first. That's it. Tee ball players (even kick ball players) know to touch first. Craig's tee ball, little league, travel ball, high school, college, Single A, Double A, Triple A and MLB coaches are not to blame for Will Craig not simply touching first base.

Trying to pin even minor blame on Walter for Will Craig's gaffe is senseless.

Last edited:
Don't go there. Craig's brain fart had nothing to do with whether Walter did or did not teach fundamentals or executing defensive situations. This is the defensive situation: two outs; a ground ball to third; third baseman throws to first. That's it. Tee ball players (even kick ball players) know to touch first. Craig's tee ball, little league, travel ball, high school, college, Single A, Double A, Triple A and MLB coaches are not to blame for Will Craig not simply touching first base.

What probably happened is Craig was sweating his previous at bat not getting a hit and wasn’t really in the game mentally. Baseball is tough when you’re nervous about getting sent down to minors. Well regardless, fuck Tom Walter haha

Read my post again: "It is unfair to blame Wake coaches for Will Craig completely botching that play but I guarantee that kind of stuff is never worked on at Wake."

Was not blaming Walter or the Wake coaches. Just pointing out that situational defense and most other fundamentals are not worked on EVER. And that is a huge problem.

Read my post again: "It is unfair to blame Wake coaches for Will Craig completely botching that play but I guarantee that kind of stuff is never worked on at Wake."

Was not blaming Walter or the Wake coaches. Just pointing out that situational defense and most other fundamentals are not worked on EVER. And that is a huge problem.

What years did you play at wake diamond deacs?

There are plenty of solid facts to support moving on from Walter as the baseball coach. Trying to tie Will Craig's meltdown at first into Walter's issues at WF is nuts on any level. The botched play was a groundball to third with a force at first. Walter may run the worst practices of all time, but "I guarantee" that WF works on infield ground balls with a force at first. That is essentially every team's standard pregame infield practice. So, yes, that "stuff is worked on at Wake" and at every other level of baseball ever played. Again, not defending Walter, just pointing out that is typical to try to blame everything on an unpopular coach; like blaming Ody's transfer on Manning. It dilutes legit criticism and is not necessary to make your point.

There are plenty of solid facts to support moving on from Walter as the baseball coach. Trying to tie Will Craig's meltdown at first into Walter's issues at WF is nuts on any level. The botched play was a groundball to third with a force at first. Walter may run the worst practices of all time, but "I guarantee" that WF works on infield ground balls with a force at first. That is essentially every team's standard pregame infield practice. So, yes, that "stuff is worked on at Wake" and at every other level of baseball ever played. Again, not defending Walter, just pointing out that is typical to try to blame everything on an unpopular coach; like blaming Ody's transfer on Manning. It dilutes legit criticism and is not necessary to make your point.

It’s a joke bro, take it easy

Seriously chill dude. Oh and by the way you’re wrong. Taking ground balls every day is not working on situational defense. And I did not play at Wake. I played college baseball not at wake and have been close with lots of players over the last two three years since I moved to Winston.

Back