• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2021 | Cusick (1st) + Fleming, Seymour, Menendez, Muntz Drafted

I’m hesitant to post this, because I’m very pro vaccine and am personally vaccinated and don’t want to be construed otherwise, but in the last week I had a conversation with a good friend who is a highly respected cardiologist at a major medical institution. He told me the frequency of myocarditis he is seeing in teens and young adults is troubling high, grossly under reported, and in excess of what would be expected with contracting Covid. Much to my surprise, he told me he would not recommend anyone under 25, including his own children, getting the Covid vaccine. I have one child 12+ and we had her vaccinated, but if I had this conversation before she was vaccinated, I certainly would have at least been more hesitant.

Anecdotes are problematic. For example, this cardiologist may be seeing a very high percentage of all those with myocarditis in his region, because he is 1) a cardiologist, and 2) at a major medical center. With that said, we absolutely need more epidemiologic on myocarditis associated with vaccines and infection.

My anecdote, which is mainly good, is that my medical center peaked at 200 admitted COVID patients in January. We have slowly decreased and today went to single digits (8)! However, the absolute number of kids admitted with COVID has gone up (so the percentage has gone way up).

About 12 million COVID vaccines have been given to kids and young adults in the US age 12 to 24. If all 1000 cases of myocarditis are accurate and in this age group, then that is less than 0.02% of fully vaccinated kids/young adults. 26% of healthy individuals had mild cardiac abnormalities 3 months after COVID infection.

Although the data is still coming in on apparent myocarditis following the COVID-19 vaccine, CDC numbers through late May estimated that 16 cases of myocarditis or pericarditis would be reported for every million second doses given to people ages 16 to 39. That works out to 0.0016%, or roughly 1 in 62,000.

By contrast, de Lemos said the best studies on college athletes put the chances of a young person getting myocarditis after COVID-19 at between 1% and 3%. That's roughly 1 in 50.

So, a young person's risk of myocarditis "is much higher if they get COVID than it is if they get vaccinated," de Lemos said.

Vaccines also protect against other COVID-19-related problems: heart damage, lung damage and a condition called multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children, or MIS-C, which has killed 36 children as of early June, according to the CDC.

"Getting COVID or MIS-C is a lot worse than myocarditis/pericarditis from the vaccine," Jone said.

Link

Should I Still Get Myself or My Child Vaccinated?

Yes. CDC continues to recommend COVID-19 vaccination for everyone 12 years of age and older, given the risk of COVID-19 illness and related, possibly severe complications, such as long-term health problems, hospitalization, and even death. If you or your child has already gotten the first dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccine, it’s important to get the second dose unless a vaccination provider or your doctor tells you not to get it.

The known and potential benefits of COVID-19 vaccination outweigh the known and potential risks, including the possible risk of myocarditis or pericarditis. Also, most patients with myocarditis and pericarditis who received care responded well to treatment and rest and quickly felt better.

If you have concerns about COVID-19 vaccination, talk with your or your child’s doctor, nurse, or clinic.

Link

Wake had a small test population of unvaccinated young adults exposed to Covid in December. Two had severe prolonged symptoms lasting for months.

Unless there is a severe medical reason for not getting the vaccine, any adult should get it. I’m not a dr but I’m guessing if you’re healthy enough to play college baseball, you don’t have a known condition that would prohibit the vaccine.

Period. It’s not politics, you don’t need to do your research. Just get it.

Anecdotes are problematic. For example, this cardiologist may be seeing a very high percentage of all those with myocarditis in his region, because he is 1) a cardiologist, and 2) at a major medical center. With that said, we absolutely need more epidemiologic on myocarditis associated with vaccines and infection.

My anecdote, which is mainly good, is that my medical center peaked at 200 admitted COVID patients in January. We have slowly decreased and today went to single digits (8)! However, the absolute number of kids admitted with COVID has gone up (so the percentage has gone way up).

About 12 million COVID vaccines have been given to kids and young adults in the US age 12 to 24. If all 1000 cases of myocarditis are accurate and in this age group, then that is less than 0.02% of fully vaccinated kids/young adults. 26% of healthy individuals had mild cardiac abnormalities 3 months after COVID infection.

Are you a licensed physician? If not. Please stop. Thanks.

I have an 11 year old and he is getting his vaccine on the day he turns 12 because I want him to be protected against Covid and I want to do our part to make his school and his sports teams safer. I am not going to make health decisions for my family based on foxnews crap or "do your own research" posts on facebook.

The odds that 4 vaccinated players for state all had breakthru cases is pretty much impossible. Someone lied about getting vaxxed.

I’m hesitant to post this, because I’m very pro vaccine and am personally vaccinated and don’t want to be construed otherwise, but in the last week I had a conversation with a good friend who is a highly respected cardiologist at a major medical institution. He told me the frequency of myocarditis he is seeing in teens and young adults is troubling high, grossly under reported, and in excess of what would be expected with contracting Covid. Much to my surprise, he told me he would not recommend anyone under 25, including his own children, getting the Covid vaccine. I have one child 12+ and we had her vaccinated, but if I had this conversation before she was vaccinated, I certainly would have at least been more hesitant.

I wasn't a bio major but the nanoparticles are not supposed to show up in the circulatory system, hence not in the organs, IIUC. Yet the lab studies are finding the highest concentration in the ovaries for the 14-24 group. The myocarditis is more common in males, I believe.

I know it's long and the PhD guy can get a little irritating, but I'd urge everyone to try to watch the Malone video link I posted.

The odds that 4 vaccinated players for state all had breakthru cases is pretty much impossible. Someone lied about getting vaxxed.

I wasn't a bio major but the nanoparticles are not supposed to show up in the circulatory system, hence not in the organs, IIUC. Yet the lab studies are finding the highest concentration in the ovaries for the 14-24 group. The myocarditis is more common in males, I believe.

I know it's long and the PhD guy can get a little irritating, but I'd urge everyone to try to watch the Malone video link I posted.

Yessss that’s the stuff.

This is a sad day for baseball. I was pulling for State and their run was incredible! I was hoping for the '83 vibes. The teams they beat, the amazing quality of pitching they beat, and the way the team turned their season around is a lesson for all teams that continue to fight till the end. As many have said on here, yes the kids should have been vaxxed, but to get tossed this late in the CWS seems ridiculous. Are they testing the other teams, checking the Vandy kids for close contact - they played last week as well.

I feel for the "State" family. Not the way you want to end an awesome year.

Wake Baseball 2021 | oh no we suck again!

I have little sympathy. Many of their fans have reputations for being jerks, their coach seems out of touch, and most of their players are just sleeping in the beds they made.

Meanwhile you have our sister program in Vandy that emphasizes academics, gets to shine in baseball after being the SEC’s football punching bag, and responsibly got all their players vaxxed. They should be the ones moving on.

Fauci, Wuhan, flu cases, "nanoparticles", etc. are all completely besides the point. The NCAA made their vaccine policy crystal clear and NC State baseball refused to follow it. Now they have to accept the consequences for their actions. Doesn't matter how stupid they view the rule. I can't just go 85 mph on a 65 mph highway because I think the rule is stupid nor can I ignore my boss's rules at work for the same reason without expecting consequences.

Back