• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Basketball Preseason Discussion

It looks like we've upgraded our walk-ons with McGregor, who it appears signed to play for Newberry College at one point, and Rike, a 6'7" forward. Trent VanHorn, you're on notice!

My Dad brought me to one of the old timer/alumni games back in the day. My privilege and pleasure to get to go with him into the locker room after the game. I was agog at the Deac greats and just standing there, too shy to act. Mr. McGregor grabbed me and walked me around to collect autographs on my game program. Great guy, and a fond memory for me. Good to see his son on the team. Bet he knows a few post moves too.

Hopefully he is the first of a line of legacys to come our way, Childress, LaRue, Duncan and Paul. All would be welcome!

I cannot recall having seen WF Basketball legacy Gilbert McGregor (42 Gilbert McGregor Forward 6-4 195 RS SO New Orleans, La. Newberry College) listed on our roster before. Have I just overlooked him or has he been added recently? I presume he's a walk-on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbBPWLruGhI

Two walk-ons were recently added. Seriously, with walk-ons included, we now have 19 players on our roster. Is this normal? Will all of them travel to away games?

I cannot recall having seen WF Basketball legacy Gilbert McGregor (42 Gilbert McGregor Forward 6-4 195 RS SO New Orleans, La. Newberry College) listed on our roster before. Have I just overlooked him or has he been added recently? I presume he's a walk-on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbBPWLruGhI
It was discussed on the previous page. There are 2 new walk-ons, Gilbert McGregor and Troy Rike. The BSD guys on Roll The Quadcast (shout-out!) said that those 2 were the only ones who showed up to the walk-on tryouts, so Manning took both of them. There are now 6 walk-ons, in addition to the 13 scholarship players, for a grand total of 19 players on the team.

Last edited:
It sounds like we have some very athletic players. Would seem easier to build a competitive team from athletes who are rough in terms of bb skills and/or understanding, than having a bunch of skilled bb players who lack athleticism. You can't coach quickness or a 38" vertical.

The BSD guys on Roll The Quadcast (shout-out!) said that those 2 were the only ones who showed up to the walk-on tryouts, so Manning took both of them.

Wow, that tryout is not what it used to be. Tried out my freshman year in 2009 with Dino and there were roughly 30 students for 2 spots (I believe they took Phae and Kyle Fowler).

Wow, that tryout is not what it used to be. Tried out my freshman year in 2009 with Dino and there were roughly 30 students for 2 spots (I believe they took Phae and Kyle Fowler).

Couple of my hallmates went my freshmen year (2005) because there was a rumor that anyone that made it past day 1 got a warmup. They all got cut day 1, but there were 50+ there.

Couple of my hallmates went my freshmen year (2005) because there was a rumor that anyone that made it past day 1 got a warmup. They all got cut day 1, but there were 50+ there.

tumblr_kpmwoj2u8m1qzaz00o1_1280.png

I really hope Manning can work with Washington. Maybe he can have a breakout season and turn out to be a Chas McFarland type without the attitude.

Last edited:
I really hope Manning can work with Washington. Maybe he can have a breakout season and turn out to be a Chas McFarland type without the attitude.

I dont know. I dont think Chas's attitude was a "toxic" attitude. I worked on the team during his senior year and I think that attitude made him a more aggresive player. I would rather have an aggresive player than a pushover.

Last edited:
I dont know. I dont think Chas's attitude was a "toxic" attitude. I worked on the team during his senior year and I think that attitude made him a more aggresive player. I would rather have an aggresive player than a pushover.

Agreed

Tomorrow is Wake's media day, correct?

I hope they take pictures of the players in their dad's sports coats again.

Back