• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake-Citadel

Apparently Braces is impressed (from a "5-0" thread on the Deman board):

I think what we're trying to say here is that the foundation and talent that Bz has brought to the team is just now starting to pay off. The players really like him and play hard for him. He's a super-smart guy who deserves more credit than he is getting from the more vocal crowd. It was great to see the changes at half time that changed shooting about 36% in the first half to 55% in the second half. Also good to see Wake shut down their perimeter attack -- they were horrible from 3pt arc, even tho' that is their main offense. Must have been something like defense and a game plan from the coaching staff....

Andre is terrible. He will never be more than a five to ten minute guy and that's on a team who doesn't have depth inside.

Strongly disagree. He will contribute much, much more than a certain recent 5 star center who "played" for Wake (assuming he stays healthy).

Moto is the best athlete on the court...if we had a coach who could develop talent....

Oh wait, our coach sucks...nevermind.

We know very little about this team - but in 10 days we'll know plenty.

All you can draw from these games is how our offense runs, if the guys understand the defensive schemes, and some basic talent levels. Coron can really shoot the ball when he has space. He's pretty much what everyone hoped Chas would be - and what we hope Overton turns into (albeit with better size). Huge help to have Overton learn from him for a year.

Didn't love that both Codi and Madison missed perfect pick-and-roll opportunities for Devin in the first half last night. When he sets a pick and both guys collapse on the guard, leaving him alone with both hands up calling for the ball with no defender - you have to find him. Only had one real breakdown on defense and it was in the first few minutes - [Redacted] immediately called a timeout to yell at the guys. I still think switching everything is going to screw us - Madison got switched on the first play of the game and ended up blocking a shot inside, and that won't happen against good players - it'll be a bucket and a foul. We don't want to see Madison/Coron/Codi versus Wiggins on the block.

Travis still puts his head down and decides to drive whether he has a lane or not. He also gets lost more than anyone else on defense short of Washington and seems to take the most shots outside of the offensive scheme. His size and talent has allowed him to get away with it in the early games. Hopefully he's been hanging back in the early games to let the younger players lead.

Disappointed in Moto's development. Cav looks a little better though. Probably another year of struggling for both though.

Disappointed in Moto's development. Cav looks a little better though. Probably another year of struggling for both though.

I have zero faith in Cav... he is supposed to be an excellent shooter and has sucked, every game, against bad teams. He hasn't just missed shots, he's missed them by a mile....

Moto would have a chance (a good one) if he had a coach who could develop talent.

I have zero faith in Cav... he is supposed to be an excellent shooter and has sucked, every game, against bad teams. He hasn't just missed shots, he's missed them by a mile....

Moto would have a chance (a good one) if he had a coach who could develop talent.

You realize developing core skills is really an assistant coach thing, right?

And Cav hasn't been terrible in every game. Solid against Jax and ok against the Citadel. He's one of our few decent free throw shooters, and he is definitely a little stronger this year - 7 boards in two games already and he didn't have a single game last year with 6 boards - even against cupcakes. But he's still playing with little confidence and the game is still too fast for him. Still think it'll click for him but not until his junior and senior years.

I think Overton looks like he will be a decent offensive player. He can shoot a bit, but obviously has not put up as many shots as say, Coron. He also has flashed decent court awareness by taking it to the hole a few times when needed.

I've said this before but I still like Cav a whole lot more than Desroisers. Cav may not be a star, and he may struggle against the big boys in conference, but at least he's not a complete pushover down low. Desroisers was revolving door down there.

I don't know how you can see Andre play and think he will ever contribute meaningful minutes at the ACC level.

All you can draw from these games is how our offense runs, if the guys understand the defensive schemes, and some basic talent levels. Coron can really shoot the ball when he has space. He's pretty much what everyone hoped Chas would be - and what we hope Overton turns into (albeit with better size). Huge help to have Overton learn from him for a year.

Didn't love that both Codi and Madison missed perfect pick-and-roll opportunities for Devin in the first half last night. When he sets a pick and both guys collapse on the guard, leaving him alone with both hands up calling for the ball with no defender - you have to find him. Only had one real breakdown on defense and it was in the first few minutes - [Redacted] immediately called a timeout to yell at the guys. I still think switching everything is going to screw us - Madison got switched on the first play of the game and ended up blocking a shot inside, and that won't happen against good players - it'll be a bucket and a foul. We don't want to see Madison/Coron/Codi versus Wiggins on the block.

Travis still puts his head down and decides to drive whether he has a lane or not. He also gets lost more than anyone else on defense short of Washington and seems to take the most shots outside of the offensive scheme. His size and talent has allowed him to get away with it in the early games. Hopefully he's been hanging back in the early games to let the younger players lead.

Pretty much agree with everything here. I still think Moto will come around. He was just very, very raw. I could see him improving over this season quite a bit. Still nice to have his muscle off the bench.

You realize developing core skills is really an assistant coach thing, right?

And Cav hasn't been terrible in every game. Solid against Jax and ok against the Citadel. He's one of our few decent free throw shooters, and he is definitely a little stronger this year - 7 boards in two games already and he didn't have a single game last year with 6 boards - even against cupcakes. But he's still playing with little confidence and the game is still too fast for him. Still think it'll click for him but not until his junior and senior years.

He was billed as 'An excellent shooter'.. he's shooting 29% from the field and 12% from 3. Have we really fallen that far that we pump a guy up because 'he's one of our better free throw shooters''?

But maybe you are right, maybe next year will be better.

I also agree but I think Moto has really learned how to rebound the ball in traffic with those long arms of his. He's averaging a board every 2.5 minutes or so, which is close to what Devin is averaging. Granted against lousy competition, but he averaged a board every 4+ minutes last year while Devin averaged one every 3.5 or so and got better as the season wore on. In other words, Moto has improved his rebounding more then Devin. I'm sure that number will changed as we play top competition, but he leads us in offensive rebounds by a lot.

I don't know how you can see Andre play and think he will ever contribute meaningful minutes at the ACC level.

Andre shows some flashes at times, with the right coaching I think he could be serviceable at the least. You're probably too young to remember Warren Martin for the Tarholes back in the mid-80's. If that turned out to contribute meaningful minutes at the ACC level, anybody can.

I also agree but I think Moto has really learned how to rebound the ball in traffic with those long arms of his. He's averaging a board every 2.5 minutes or so, which is close to what Devin is averaging. Granted against lousy competition, but he averaged a board every 4+ minutes last year while Devin averaged one every 3.5 or so and got better as the season wore on. In other words, Moto has improved his rebounding more then Devin. I'm sure that number will changed as we play top competition, but he leads us in offensive rebounds by a lot.

Well it was also harder for Devin to improve more. He's ninth in the country right now in defensive rebounding percentage.

haha. peahead martin. that was incredible where he got to from frosh to senior year.

He was billed as 'An excellent shooter'.. he's shooting 29% from the field and 12% from 3. Have we really fallen that far that we pump a guy up because 'he's one of our better free throw shooters''?

But maybe you are right, maybe next year will be better.

Ah right, I forgot. We can slam guys for being horrible free throw shooters but it doesn't count as a plus or as a sign that his stroke is probably solid if he's shooting 80% from the line. Given the number of fouls being called this year and our team percentages so far, big guys who can hit free throws are certainly valuable.

That being said, he's obviously struggling. He needs confidence and strength, but I think the tools are there. He'd look better on defense if we didn't keep switching every pick until he's guarding a wing on the perimeter. Either way, he still looks a year away.

Back