• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake @ Clemson Game Thread

We started shooting free throws with 9 minutes left in the game. Whining about the refs in this game is as silly as it is petty.

This is silly. First, he isn't the teams only hope. Second, if we had 3rd or 4th options he would be more productive, even if he was still the team's 1st or 2nd option. He is much more adept on offense then LD Williams.

ETA: Point is that the problem with our offense isn't that McKie is the 1st option, it's that we lack a consistent 3rd option.

That's kind of like being more adept at coaching ACC basketball than Sidney Lowe or Jeff [Redacted].

Point being that we need someone offensively better than Travis. We don't need another part that's less than Travis but, say, better than Nikita. That would really just be a drop in the bucket in terms of things that would make us.more competitive.

That's kind of like being more adept at coaching ACC basketball than Sidney Lowe or Jeff [Redacted].

Point being that we need someone offensively better than Travis. We don't need another part that's less than Travis but, say, better than Nikita. That would really just be a drop in the bucket in terms of things that would make us.more competitive.

I just think McKie is underrated because he's easy to defend as our only consistent threat around the basket. He definitely needs to develop a better jump shot and handle though.

We essentially have two, maybe three, players who aren't a liability on offense. That's going to be easy to defend.

2-and-whatever since February 2007.

That is, I assume Air Force won a conference road game in February 2007. Dangerous assumption possibly.

February 10th they won at New Mexico. Air Force then beat Colorado St. in the next game before collapsing to end the regular season. They lost away to UNLV, away to TCU, at home to BYU and finally in the Conference tournament to Wyoming.

Air Force did rebound a bit and got to the NIT semifinals where they lost to Clemson that season.

Since then Mr. [Redacted] is 2-34 in conference road games with 23 of those losses being by 10 points or more.

February 10th they won at New Mexico. Air Force then beat Colorado St. in the next game before collapsing to end the regular season. They lost away to UNLV, away to TCU, at home to BYU and finally in the Conference tournament to Wyoming.

Air Force did rebound a bit and got to the NIT semifinals where they lost to Clemson that season.

Since then Mr. [Redacted] is 2-34 in conference road games with 23 of those losses being by 10 points or more.

Every time I see stats like that it just makes me sad.

Since Jan 21, 2012 he's 1-1 in conf road games.

Since Jan 21, 2012 he's 1-1 in conf road games.

Did you really just make that post? When Bzzzzz wins his next conference road game in 5 years are you going to post that he's 1-0 since dec 2017?

I sometimes wonder about how good Travis is.
There is nothing wrong with our players, just our play. We don't know where to be on D, we don't know where to be to get offensive boards, we jack up shots w/ 30+ secs on the shot clock w/ noone near the rim, we dribble into trouble constantly - there appear to be precious few sets that we seem to run that don't put us in a position to turn the ball over. It seems that when we have to freelance, it's our best scoring opportunity bar some high big-man screens where the ball is fed in low (which we manage to set up about 2 per game) instead of the roll or pop. This - IMFHO - is about a coaching staff that cannot seem to give these guys the best opportunity to succeed. Either that or the players just don't give a shit and I truly do not buy that.

Travis is a good blue-collar garbage man, which I think has been pretty clear since his first couple games in uniform. Get him on a team where he is the 3rd or 4th option and you have a recipe for success.

There is nothing wrong with our players, just our play. We don't know where to be on D, we don't know where to be to get offensive boards, we jack up shots w/ 30+ secs on the shot clock w/ noone near the rim, we dribble into trouble constantly - there appear to be precious few sets that we seem to run that don't put us in a position to turn the ball over. It seems that when we have to freelance, it's our best scoring opportunity bar some high big-man screens where the ball is fed in low (which we manage to set up about 2 per game) instead of the roll or pop. This - IMFHO - is about a coaching staff that cannot seem to give these guys the best opportunity to succeed. Either that or the players just don't give a shit and I truly do not buy that.

Roy has won alot of games with the "roll the ball on the court" method. Really good players can beat the shit out of inferior teams playing pick-up ball.

I'm firmly Buzzout because I don't think you hire a 60 y/o coach with no history of success to "turn around" a NCAA tournament program...BUT, this is not a very talented team.

Well we play Clemson at home in 2 weeks, hopefully the ACC sends some real refs. We need to beat Clemson at home.

We really aren't that good, and away from home we are worse......could easily be the same score with the Fighting Bzeldiks on top.

Roy has won alot of games with the "roll the ball on the court" method. Really good players can beat the shit out of inferior teams playing pick-up ball.

I'm firmly Buzzout because I don't think you hire a 60 y/o coach with no history of success to "turn around" a NCAA tournament program...BUT, this is not a very talented team.

A lot of coaches (college and pro) can win at a very high percentage with that method. They however have to have one or two key players that absolutely understand a (their or otherwise) system. I don't begin to see that in our case. However, I don't think that this staff is saying "go at it" - I think they have either too complex a system for the players to execute (unlikely) or their system is too disjointed from their players' skills. In either case, someone needs to be an adult and change and I am not putting that on a bunch of kids in college.

Luckily it's almost February and February is the shortest month of the year. Season can't end soon enough. Looking forward to CMM and Thomas playing next year.

Hard to see Bz keeping his job beyond next season. Unless next year's frosh are difference makers out of the gate, we will struggle again, and IMO Bz should not be retained beyond a third season w/o a postseason berth or at least a winning overall record.

Back