• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake @ Clemson Game Thread

From that stat, it looks like the offense in general has to shoulder some of the blame. Four points off their 8 turnovers says our offense is pretty dreadful. Essentially converting on only 25% of their turnovers.

Agreed. The tone was set in the first minute when we stole the ball and TC had a great look at an and-1 ... the layup rolled off the rim and then he missed both FTs. The second Clemson TO resulted in an immediate TO by Nikita. And so it seemed to go.

ETA: However, the bigger issue is that our TOs resulted in several uncontested dunks ... 2-on-1, 3-on-1, 3-on-none, etc.

Last edited:
I don't think pointing out that a game was poorly officiated, especially while noting that our weak play led to our defeat, is whining. Some here seem to think that if we play poorly, then the officiating must have been above reproach and certainly should not be criticized. Now, there's a non-sequitur, if I ever saw one.

Yes folks, it's true. Our poor play and poor officiating are not mutually exclusive. Indeed, they all too often go together.

On the other hand, considering how poor the officiating often is, complaining about people pointing out the obvious, namely that the reffing was bad, should most certainly be considered pointless whining.

Excuses are like assholes. Everyone has one.

You can shoot 500 free throws a day, but if you keep the bad form and don't get the right form/rotation on your free throw - it will not help. Something is wrong with his form - can't figure it out yet - but will investigate.

I suggest investigating what is right with his form.

If you took the combined best ten players on the floor in that game today, that team would still not be a ncaa team. I am saddened by the state of the Acct n particular but also the quality of college basketball overall. It in no way resembles the ACC of my late 70s youth.

This is silly. First, he isn't the teams only hope. Second, if we had 3rd or 4th options he would be more productive, even if he was still the team's 1st or 2nd option. He is much more adept on offense then LD Williams.

ETA: Point is that the problem with our offense isn't that McKie is the 1st option, it's that we lack a consistent 3rd option.

Really? Pull his stats out of every game and we don't have a single win in 2 years. Our hopes are McKie and CJ to be consistently at the top of their games. My point was that if we had more options all he need to do was dunk and battle hard for rebounds. Can he shoot better than LD? Sure. His size and game is more suited for a small forward instead of a shooting forward (just like Trent and LD). He's a good player and a great teammate but it's not like he's Rodney. This is not a knock on him because I love watching him play and feel like he gives everything that he has during every game.

I suggest investigating what is right with his form.

It is much better taking the time to shoot 100 free throws correctly & with proper form than to just say you shoot 500 free throws a day

I remember a drill a few years ago for a local high school team--it was to see how many free throws you could make in a minute. Made the kids rush & shoot with bad form. Consequently they did n't shoot free throws all that well in games.

Why not take your time & shoot them properly and have contests to see who has the best percentage?

another play that killed us and was a 5 point turn around, was when we stole the ball and carson immediately throws it away on a fast break. If memory serves me correctly clemson then turned it into a 3 pointer. so a good pass for an obvious layup turns into a score for clemson.

Yep, we were up 12-4 and Clemson was 1-14 from the floor.

If the players aren't capable of running the sets,it's not on the coaches. The Buzz out crowd can scream all year because it's not going to get better. We have 2 maybe 3 ACC caliber players and no help until next year. I will reserve judgment until I see what we can do with the six coming in.

If the players aren't capable of running the sets, it's not on the coaches?

1) I really doubt our players are incapable of running at least some set plays.

2)Aren't the coaches the ones who teach the players the sets? Shouldn't the coaches know what sets the players on the floor can run, which ones they can't, and call the sets the players run well? It's not the coaches fault if the players run the set and the shot doesn't go down. It's not the coaches fault if the players run the set and a player makes a dumb mistake. It's probably not the coaches fault if the other teams's defense shuts down the play. However, to absolve the coaches of blame b/c players aren't capable of running the sets is absurd.

To me, this isn't about bz in or bz out. I watch a lot of college basketball (probably too much). When I see any team consistently struggle out of timeouts, when I see shot clock violations or forced shots as the shot clock runs down, I wonder about the play calling by the coach that is going on during the time out...

If the players aren't capable of running the sets, it's not on the coaches?

1) I really doubt our players are incapable of running at least some set plays.

2)Aren't the coaches the ones who teach the players the sets? Shouldn't the coaches know what sets the players on the floor can run, which ones they can't, and call the sets the players run well? It's not the coaches fault if the players run the set and the shot doesn't go down. It's not the coaches fault if the players run the set and a player makes a dumb mistake. It's probably not the coaches fault if the other teams's defense shuts down the play. However, to absolve the coaches of blame b/c players aren't capable of running the sets is absurd.

To me, this isn't about bz in or bz out. I watch a lot of college basketball (probably too much). When I see any team consistently struggle out of timeouts, when I see shot clock violations or forced shots as the shot clock runs down, I wonder about the play calling by the coach that is going on during the time out...

Not to create a real argument,but my point was that perhaps due to lack of strength, talent or whatever the players might not be able to run the set as designed(fight thru the screen, etc). For example, I'm sure coaches teach rebounding, but if you don't have certain abilities or are weak(Carson), all the coaching in the world won't make you a great rebounder. At some point it comes down to the players being able to execute what they're taught,

If you took the combined best ten players on the floor in that game today, that team would still not be a ncaa team. I am saddened by the state of the Acct n particular but also the quality of college basketball overall. It in no way resembles the ACC of my late 70s youth.

This. Been griping about this for quite a while. Watched a bit of the UVA/State game last night. It's sad that those are 2 of the top 5 teams in the conference and that there is a significant drop off after that. The ACC gets worse every year and has by far the worst collection of coaches it's ever had. The only good news on the horizon is that Syracuse and Pitt will raise the level of play, and maybe Turgeon will recruit well enough to get MD back in the top-25 within a couple of years.

As for the game, I watched the 2nd half. The defense has risen from historically bad to pretty bad (it's not a constant lay-up line, just an occasional one), the rebounding is still atrocious, and the offense in the half court is still a big struggle. Better than last year, but just imagine this team against the ACC 10-20 years ago.

Looking like UNC/Duke/FSU/Virginia and that's it for tourney bids.

And the ACC sucks. A good coach should be able to take a terrible team and win some games this year. Heck, BC has two wins and they are an epicly bad team.

83, that was the play that turned around the game to me too. Up 12-4 early I just felt like we could have really opened up a nice lead with a bucket. But Carson made two bad plays in a row and it was a five point swing. Changed the whole tone.

If you are talking about a play turning around the game when the score was 12-4, then we had no chance of winning the game.

Come on, Clemson was 1-14, couldn't hit anything, the fans were grumbling, they get a wide open shot, hit it and everything becomes easier.

If we had gone up 14-4, they have to come back down and struggle in the half court who knows maybe they never get out of the funk and with a double digit lead they'd be feeling more pressure with every missed shot.

Until we make a stupid play a minute or two later and they gain momentum and we fall apart.

Unfortunately the book, I should say sentence, on how to beat us is pretty easy and would hardly challenge a junior high coach. Tough physical defense against a young, physically weak, and thin team, and concentrate on slowing down CJ and Travis because then the others will have to beat you.

It's hoping beyond hope to think 1 play made the difference in a double digit loss.

Back