• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake @ Duke - 3:30 PM ESPN2/ACCN

If I lived anywhere near NC anymore, I would love to go to this game. I have been to quite a few games at WW before the renovation. Do they still have the trough urinals lol.

Hope there is a big WF showing. Pumped we have a chance to smoke Duke in what has been a feel-good season for them.

Speaking of which. When did the state championship games go to just Carter Finley and Keenan? Wake and Duke used to host as well.
And if Wake bailed on this voluntarily as did Duke some years ago, this is a mistake IMO. The top h.s. players in N.C. often get to the championship as a soph or junior, and the chance to give them a look at our facilities up-close is too valuable to pass up. Plus, doesn't hurt for coaches who make it to that level to be familiar with Truist Stadium. With only 4 state champions now instead of 8, there's really no need to use more than 2 stadiums, but no reason Wake can't be in a rotation with UNC and NCSU. The high school I support has been to multiple championships at all 3 stadiums, and the consensus amongst the fans is that Wake has by far the best atmosphere for a h.s. championship, i.e. the fans and especially the players the feel of playing in a "big-time" facility w/o being swallowed up by 40-50K empty seats.
By the way, the reason Duke got out of the h.s. championship some years ago was that there was a 1A (smallest classification) championship that was played at WW on the same day and a few hours before a Duke basketball game (St. Johns the opponent IIRC). There typically are at most 3-5K fans at a 1A championship, but it was enough to throw the Iron Dukes arriving for the basketball game into a tizzy b/c there was a little more traffic than usual and folks had the nerve to park near Cameron for the h.s. football game; not making this up. After a few years out Duke got back in the h.s. rotation, but made sure Duke basketball was not impacted including having any football games on Friday night if necessary to avoid conflict.

They went back to 4 classifications for FB state championships recently (rather than splitting them into 1AA/2AA/3AA/4AA), so they only have 4 championship games rather than 8. Thus, only two sites needed. I'm not sure how the NCHSAA chooses the sites, but with them historically being at UNC and NC State, wonder if they get priority?

Last years Duke game is on the ACC Network, almost over. Anyway, a couple of observations from garbage time. I wish we hadn’t lost Amari Marshall, forgot how big he is and has some quicks. Another is the Oline backups look like pretty much the same as this year, which is not surprising of course, but it’s a little disappointing that this year some of those guys didn’t take a big enough step this year to get some rotational playing time. Clapp looks like the only one of those guys that has played much at all this year except in garbage time. I don”t know if they aren’t ready or if Clawson just doesn’t like to rotate Olineman. I remember when we had a good rotation of Olineman in some of Grobe”s years, kept guys fresh.

Not sure if anyone updated this but it does look to officially be on ACCN instead of ESPN2.

Maintaining a bowl streak means something, even if people want to shit on the bowl system. It means that even in your worst years you are above .500. TAMU can’t even say that.

Also, and this may be more important for Wake than others, is the 20 extra practice sessions. Even if you don't "need" that many to prep for the bowl game, they can be used to get work for the guys who will be playing in 23. Could be almost the equivalent of an extra spring practice.

To me, the extra practice days far, far out weigh the "crappy bowl" perception. Bowl, bowl, bowl. Moar bowls, please.

Also, and this may be more important for Wake than others, is the 20 extra practice sessions. Even if you don't "need" that many to prep for the bowl game, they can be used to get work for the guys who will be playing in 23. Could be almost the equivalent of an extra spring practice.

To me, the extra practice days far, far out weigh the "crappy bowl" perception. Bowl, bowl, bowl. Moar bowls, please.
100000000000%!

Last years Duke game is on the ACC Network, almost over. Anyway, a couple of observations from garbage time. I wish we hadn’t lost Amari Marshall, forgot how big he is and has some quicks. Another is the Oline backups look like pretty much the same as this year, which is not surprising of course, but it’s a little disappointing that this year some of those guys didn’t take a big enough step this year to get some rotational playing time. Clapp looks like the only one of those guys that has played much at all this year except in garbage time. I don”t know if they aren’t ready or if Clawson just doesn’t like to rotate Olineman. I remember when we had a good rotation of Olineman in some of Grobe”s years, kept guys fresh.
I like Amani and was so excited for his commitment I went to his announcement, but he wouldn't have played this year and doubtful next year or we wouldn't have gotten Clairborne> He's #3 or 4 on App's team.

Posted this on scholarship thread but Banks was in a knee brace but Donnie with nothing visible in photo from Coach Higgins TGiving dinner with all the receivers so maybe Grimes gets some reps. AT played every snap Sat and Morin 67 as he did double duty with punts and then filled in at WR with Key in the slot.

Posted this on scholarship thread but Banks was in a knee brace but Donnie with nothing visible in photo from Coach Higgins TGiving dinner with all the receivers so maybe Grimes gets some reps. AT played every snap Sat and Morin 67 as he did double duty with punts and then filled in at WR with Key in the slot.
Donnie was off and on the bike most of the Syracuse game until halftime so I’m assuming it’s a knee situation. Was walking fine FWIW

Already have my tix but just looked out of curiosity. There actually aren’t that many tickets listed for today on my usual ticket websites. Maybe Duke still has a lot of unsold ones at their ticket office. Not sure how to check that.

Already have my tix but just looked out of curiosity. There actually aren’t that many tickets listed for today on my usual ticket websites. Maybe Duke still has a lot of unsold ones at their ticket office. Not sure how to check that.
??? You obviously haven’t checked dukes ticketing site lol

wow you can buy some of the best tickets in the house (not that you would need them) for under $40 on stubhub

??? You obviously haven’t checked dukes ticketing site lol
Literally said I haven’t checked their site so I’m glad to see that there are a ton available! Means I can sit wherever I want today!

No idea if they are still doing this at Duke, but the last time I went they had ushers checking tickets at the top of every section. Was about 10 years ago (the Tanner Price, Campanaro, Givens Deacs), and I bought General Admission seats at the gate, thinking I would just walk down and sit in some of the hundreds of empty seats in the Wake area. Ushers wouldn’t let you into any section you didn’t have a ticket for—they were even checking the General Admission area. I would have just walked across the sections themselves, but had my wife and young daughter with me. Still one of the most baffling things I have ever seen.

Back