• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

Not rooted in NIL money on level of LSU but let's not forget the similar huge impact of transfers on Wake's season....Sullivan, Roland, Lee, Massey, and Johnson. 2 ACC 1st teamers and all key contributors.

i hope we are in the NIL game (and seems we are based on some of the big names we’ve been rumored to be in the mix for), but our transfers aren’t really comparable.

only sullivan came from a power 5 school, and you could argue the big 10 isn’t one. and he and the tulane guys only entered the portal because their coaches left. johnson and roland were grad transfers from lower levels, with roland literally not being allowed to play anymore at dartmouth.

so unfortunately, we aren’t yet coming close to doing what bigger money schools are in the transfer portal. (so far this years, our guys are from wingate and wofford and we've whiffed at our pursuit of the guy from bama)

i hope we are in the NIL game (and seems we are based on some of the big names we’ve been rumored to be in the mix for), but our transfers aren’t really comparable.

only sullivan came from a power 5 school, and you could argue the big 10 isn’t one. and he and the tulane guys only entered the portal because their coaches left. johnson and roland were grad transfers from lower levels, with roland literally not being allowed to play anymore at dartmouth.

so unfortunately, we aren’t yet coming close to doing what bigger money schools are in the transfer portal. (so far this years, our guys are from wingate and wofford and we've whiffed at our pursuit of the guy from bama)
Who is Wofford transfer?

Johnson also was not allowed to play anymore at Lafayette

Ah - that makes sense
yeah so you will see kids playing at Patriot League or Ivy League schools who have already committed to their post grad transfer school. It was a bit startling to me at first, i'd be watching a patriot league game and they'd be talking about where a kid was committed to the following year

Not rooted in NIL money on level of LSU but let's not forget the similar huge impact of transfers on Wake's season....Sullivan, Roland, Lee, Massey, and Johnson. 2 ACC 1st teamers and all key contributors.
Wake has a ton of baseball NIL monies coming in. We had quite a few give millions just for “stuff” while building up The Couch.
With the success we had this season and the publicity our pitching lab got all during the CWS, stands to reason we will load up over the next few years.
The hard part for every program is to repeat and get back to Omaha.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NIL money and any money donated to Wake just for "stuff" are two separate buckets that you can't really comingle right?

Now if the point is we had folks giving general allocation for baseball in the past and therefore we should be able to realize similar $$$ for the sport moving forward (including but not limited to NIL) then that's obviously different.

So in both 2017 and 2023, we lost to eventual champion...

Florida in SR and LSU in semifinals....

WF has won regionals 3 times in its baseball history, and all 3 times lost to the eventual champion - 1999 lost to Miami in Supers, and the two times you list above.

1999, our other Super Regional appearance as well. Miami won the whole thing as the 1-seed.

1999, our other Super Regional appearance as well. Miami won the whole thing as the 1-seed.
In case you hadn’t heard, that’s the last 1-seed to win it. Some even call it “the curse of the 1-seed.” In a hypothetical world where WF was the #1 seed I wouldn’t be shocked if ESPN mentioned that curse about a million times. Purely a hypothetical though.

Back