• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

TJ recovery is typically more than a year:

The tommy john surgery recovery timeline varies from pitcher to pitcher. It typically takes around 12 to 18 months to fully recover from the surgery. The first few months are spent allowing the graft to heal, and then the focus shifts to regaining range of motion and strength.

During this time, you’ll likely need to wear a splint or brace to protect your elbow. You’ll also need to do physical therapy exercises and stretches every day.

As you get closer to your return date, you’ll slowly start throwing again. This process starts with playing catch at short distances, and then gradually increases as you regain strength and range of motion.

You’ll need to be careful during your tommy john surgery recovery not to overdo it. Pushing yourself too hard can set you back and delay your return date.

So, would not expect much from him next year regardless if he signs with an MLB team or stays at WF.

Deserved a fastball in his earhole ? For a bat flip ?

This is the epitome of old baseball stupid. Good for that kid for flipping the bat. Good for anyone for flipping the bat. If I hit a HR against Wake I would have whipped out my schlong and twirled it like an f-ing lasso.

It’s a game. Have fun. Don’t want a bat flip against you ? Don’t throw cock high fastballs
About that - I love a good bat flip. Over the top - is throwing the bat at the dugout - and screaming in your pitchers face. If I am pitching - I put one on his chin. Old school or not, deal with the high heat next time up.

About that - I love a good bat flip. Over the top - is throwing the bat at the dugout - and screaming in your pitchers face. If I am pitching - I put one on his chin. Old school or not, deal with the high heat next time up.

As a former catcher, I'm calling for that pitch.

that's fine. if you dance around after you strike me out, (not saying anyone did that in this particular game), I'm flipping the bat when I put one over the wall.

I don't know but my guess is, "yes", particularly Brock's error. If it is truly a factor, then why not have kept the old dirt field on campus and practice on it before a scheduled grass game?
Is this a serious question?

TJ recovery is typically more than a year:

The tommy john surgery recovery timeline varies from pitcher to pitcher. It typically takes around 12 to 18 months to fully recover from the surgery. The first few months are spent allowing the graft to heal, and then the focus shifts to regaining range of motion and strength.

During this time, you’ll likely need to wear a splint or brace to protect your elbow. You’ll also need to do physical therapy exercises and stretches every day.

As you get closer to your return date, you’ll slowly start throwing again. This process starts with playing catch at short distances, and then gradually increases as you regain strength and range of motion.

You’ll need to be careful during your tommy john surgery recovery not to overdo it. Pushing yourself too hard can set you back and delay your return date.

So, would not expect much from him next year regardless if he signs with an MLB team or stays at WF.
I assume Dr. Meister did the surgery since it was reported that was who his second opinion was with. He seems to have replaced ElAttrache and Andrews as preferred TJ surgeon and is doing a lot of the internal brace hybrid procedure which has seen quicker recoveries for hard throwers like Glasnow. Timing still doesn't look great for return next season.

Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen and Rodman (I believe) used to go lift weights AFTER the game.

The opposing pitcher is yelling at our team since we are not crazy SEC or FSU/NCSU/Clemson etc. and instead we are so polite. Little Wake, polite kids, we play fair and shake your hand after you beat us.

Instead, we need to lift after the game, act like we are the team that is going to yell at YOUR dugout and spit on YOUR mound, and kick your ass. Not bumble and stumble around with countless high school errors, as if we partied the night before at the mecca of party spots, Myrtle Beach - give me a break.

If anything, the bus driver just drove near the beach and some of the guys saw women in bikinis on the sidewalk and went "oh shit - hot chicks in bikinis - which we do not see at WFU - LOSING FOCUS immediately, must regain focus."

That's a bad loss, due to the ridiculous errors, and maybe getting bullied by the closer from Coastal Carolina (who lost 4-16 to NCSU) will keep the team laser focused for a few weeks. Losing is one thing, but that many silly errors are not acceptable.
Not so Complacent Deac, I guess.

Big Time pitching matchup tomorrow versus Duke. Looks like their Friday starter is Jon Santucci, and he will face retuning ACC Pitcher of the Year Rhett Lowder. Santucci is a two-way player, but his strikeout numbers to start the season are impressive:

14 IP 12 H 4 ER 4 BB 27 Ks 2.57 ERA 1.14 WHIP. 27Ks in 14 innings is ridiculous, if you aren't named Sean Sullivan. Santucci has given up 2 HRs this year. Rhett Lowder v. Jon Santucci, both are MLB prospects. Santucci does not bat when he pitches, but he does bat at other times he has 3 hits in 10 ABs with a HR.

Worth a watch for anyone following the Diamond Deacs

Was able to get a full tour of the Wake Baseball facilities a year and half ago. i will say that of all the baseball facilites i've gotten to see, wake's is absolutey second to none. And in the state there were none remotely close.

Got a tour about a month ago. Just stunning.

Ironically, the pitching lab might be the least appealing aesthetically. A red brick room with piles of wires....and cameras that are hard to notice.

Yeah, I was a little surprised how janky the LAB looks, but whatever, as long as it does the business (even if a lot of that business is just good PR). Like, I'm sure it's top of the line, cutting edge, and good for our dudes, but it also gets us great press.

thinking about taking my kids out to DBAP tomorrow to see us play Duke.

will we see some home runs by the Deacs?

Yeah, I was a little surprised how janky the LAB looks, but whatever, as long as it does the business (even if a lot of that business is just good PR). Like, I'm sure it's top of the line, cutting edge, and good for our dudes, but it also gets us great press.
I'd like it better if the pitching lab had beakers, burners, microscopes, and folks milling about in long white coats.

Back