• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

Personally, I still don’t get why Sully went to a long relief role instead of starting after being our Saturday guy all year. I know he got a little dinged up, but it’s not like he was on a pitch count. I would’ve preferred to see him start Wednesday but it’s not a big difference. Keener would’ve still come in.
Just seemed like Walter's preference to flip those two as they'd been after Sully got back from his couple weeks off. I don't think it really made a big difference one way or the other. And yeah the worst managerial decision by far was leaving Keener in. He didn't have his stuff and even at the time plenty of evidence was there to go to Sullivan. I understand preserving bullpen arms with potential future games ahead but that homer put us way behind the 8 ball and largely seemed avoidable even at the time. Not a criticism just a comment.

The biggest managerial mistake was keeping Keener in to face Beloso. Hindsight is 20/20, but he was struggling to find strikes, and Beloso just sat on the one he finally did throw.

Changed the entire course of the game and the series.

Walter even said so post game. He was going to intentionally pass him at 2-0.... and didn't.

Just seemed like Walter's preference to flip those two as they'd been after Sully got back from his couple weeks off. I don't think it really made a big difference one way or the other. And yeah the worst managerial decision by far was leaving Keener in. He didn't have his stuff and even at the time plenty of evidence was there to go to Sullivan. I understand preserving bullpen arms with potential future games ahead but that homer put us way behind the 8 ball and largely seemed avoidable even at the time. Not a criticism just a comment.
Yup. Wake and LSU were clearly the two best teams and the margin of error was small.

Been watching baseball for too many years to mention and I've never witnessed a better pitched game at any level by two starters than last night. it was truly special.
Last night was as simple as the Deacs inability to get the big hit at the right moment and a sensational play at the plate that were the turning points.
However, when I take a full Series look, it was how badly we were out coached in the second game of this epic matchup that was our downfall. A game that should have ended up 2-1 if we manage our pitching correctly and aggressively. It happens; but my bet Coach Tom would say the same thing.

A
Been watching baseball for too many years to mention and I've never witnessed a better pitched game at any level by two starters than last night. it was truly special.
Last night was as simple as the Deacs inability to get the big hit at the right moment and a sensational play at the plate that were the turning points.
However, when I take a full Series look, it was how badly we were out coached in the second game of this epic matchup that was our downfall. A game that should have ended up 2-1 if we manage our pitching correctly and aggressively. It happens; but my bet Coach Tom would say the same thing.

He already did. After that lsu game loss Walter admitted post game that at 2-0 in the count he was ready to walk tubbo and go to the pen.... but didn't and paid with a 3 run bomb that changed the game. :(

Personally, he should have pulled Keener before the wild pitch that tied the game at 2-2. He was wild all inning long.

my rationalized defense of leaving keener in is this:
Keener had not been getting hit at all. Everything was either a walk or weak contact. So if you are ok with the idea of walking Beloso, why not let keener pitch to him thinking you will get either weak contact or a walk, which you are ok with. I think there is a defensible decision in there

well we know LSU hit at least 2
I think there were 8 hit in total after last night's 12th game of the series. I think lsu and florida might be the only teams with more than one?

I've had several conversations with folks saying you have to just play small ball and/or "prepare for Omaha", but you can't really get to Omaha with the style of play necessary to win in Omaha. It's kind of stupid. It would be like the NBA just dropping the 3pt line for the Finals.

Welcome the team home.

Retention: Default - 60 day delete (60 days) Expires: Tue 8/22/2023 11:51 AM
Retention: Default - 60 day delete (60 days) Expires: Tue 8/22/2023 11:51 AM
PW
athletics-media@gg.wfu.edu
on behalf of
Pantages, William <pantagw@wfu.edu>

To:

Cc:

Fri 6/23/2023 11:51 AM

All,
I hope this email finds you well and thank you for your coverage of Wake Forest Baseball all season long through an incredible run to the Men’s College World Series!
Wake Forest will arrive at Smith-Reynolds airport where they will be saluted by the Winston-Salem Fire Department with a water arc as the plane is taxiing to the FBO, and then greeted by members of Wake Forest University’s leadership team.
Smith-Reynolds Airport has limited parking in front of the main terminal at 3801 North Liberty Street (building with control tower on top). Additional parking is available in the lower lot if necessary.
Wake Forest Athletics creative staff will be capturing this and is happy to share b-roll and photos of this. If you would like to attend, please plan to arrive at Signature Flights by 2:30pm.
Additionally, there will be a fan welcome home event in the grass behind Gate 5 of Allegacy Stadium in the McCreary Tower Lot below David F. Couch Ballpark at 3:15pm.
Coach Walter will be available for comment upon request when the team arrives to Couch Ballpark.
Let me know if you have any questions and thank you for your coverage of Wake Forest Athletics.
Best,
Will

Reply all
Forward

Still can't believe we hit one homer in Omaha. Brutal.
I get the impression that the stadium design and orientation with respect to the prevailing wind sets up what it effectively an "air wall" or air curtain about 3/4 deep in the outfield. This lets well hit balls carry out to the outfielders, then effectively stops them for easy outs, not allowing them to be HRs.

Also the sun/shade pattern in early evening games is a help to pitchers. The white ball coming from bright sunshine into shadow has to be more difficult to pickup than if it was all sun or all shadow.

The team will be arriving at Smith Reynolds today around 330pm

I get the impression that the stadium design and orientation with respect to the prevailing wind sets up what it effectively an "air wall" or air curtain about 3/4 deep in the outfield. This lets well hit balls carry out to the outfielders, then effectively stops them for easy outs, not allowing them to be HRs.

Also the sun/shade pattern in early evening games is a help to pitchers. The white ball coming from bright sunshine into shadow has to be more difficult to pickup than if it was all sun or all shadow.
It’s lame. Nothing sucks worse than a bunch of pop flies.

I think there were 8 hit in total after last night's 12th game of the series. I think lsu and florida might be the only teams with more than one?

I've had several conversations with folks saying you have to just play small ball and/or "prepare for Omaha", but you can't really get to Omaha with the style of play necessary to win in Omaha. It's kind of stupid. It would be like the NBA just dropping the 3pt line for the Finals.
yeah and I've seen plenty of talk online about Wake's small park not giving them the comfort they needed. but seems to be affecting most all teams.

Back