• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

yeah and I've seen plenty of talk online about Wake's small park not giving them the comfort they needed. but seems to be affecting most all teams.
The team in the ACC probably best suited to be successful in Omaha was BC.

yeah, the cws stadium (at least in this week's conditions) was an outlier among ALL baseball stadiums, which is not want anyone wants.

to windy's point, i think we actually net benefitted from this in our first two games

yeah, the cws stadium (at least in this week's conditions) was an outlier among ALL baseball stadiums, which is not want anyone wants.

to windy's point, i think we actually net benefitted from this in our first two games

No comparison that it's much more fun to watch a game at the Couch than the Chuck in Omaha.

Longer outfield walls don't explain all the strikeouts. How many deep fly ball outs did we have? I don't remember a bunch.

Longer outfield walls don't explain all the strikeouts. How many deep fly ball outs did we have? I don't remember a bunch.
Quite a few late in the game. I think the 10th or the 11th were all fly outs including Corona's which is likely a HR in about 90% of ballparks in college baseball.

In the first two games there was only one time I thought we hit a fly ball that turned a Couch homer into an out. That was one hit by Johnson that just died in the outfield.

Kurtz hit so many all season that would have been out of any park. What a tough break. I was gearing up for a Kurtz Gibson last night.

Quite a few late in the game. I think the 10th or the 11th were all fly outs including Corona's which is likely a HR in about 90% of ballparks in college baseball.
5 of our 6 outs in the 9th and 10th were 100+ MPH exit velocity; the other was 98 MPH

I'm thankful we got more aggressive at the plate. I wish we had made that adjustment earlier in Omaha against less stellar pitching to build some offensive momentum and confidence.

Was just listening to D1Baseball podcast about the game last night. Apparently 20 minutes after the game Cam Minacci was out on the field signing autographs for kids. That's fantastic
pics on twitter of the whole squad signing autographs for lsu fans at the hotel.

use your words
He knows what I mean. That's solely directed at him. The reality is we won because we guessed right on the bunt it's that simple. I'm not going to tell you these situations get easier in 17 we carried this same momentum to the ship with more pitching and lost but y'all will be back for sure wake is too deep to be a flash.

Was the HR in game two hit with two outs? I don’t remember. I know it was preceded by that fluky ground ball to first that bounced over the head of Kurtz. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one bounce that high. I‘m wondering if that would have been the third out. My memory is blurred.

Was the HR in game two hit with two outs? I don’t remember. I know it was preceded by that fluky ground ball to first that bounced over the head of Kurtz. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one bounce that high. I‘m wondering if that would have been the third out. My memory is blurred.
1 out I think.

Certainly wasn't a perfect bunt, but would have gotten the job done the vast majority of the time absent a rock hard infield and an amazing play by Morgan.
I tend to agree. The announcers tried explain away the high bouncer by saying the field crew didn’t have enough time between games to wet down the field (something to that effect). The ball bounced like a golf ball hitting a cart path. Definitely a rare bounce for a baseball.
edit: I’m referring to the ground ball hit by their first baseman. That guy was in the middle of everything.

Last edited:
I tend to agree. The announcers tried explain away the high bouncer by saying the field crew didn’t have enough time between games to wet down the field (something to that effect). The ball bounced like a golf ball hitting a cart path. Definitely a rare bounce for a baseball.
i think it was more about bunting a 100MPH pitch. it came off the bat like a rocket and took off. If anything the bunt was TOO good...if it was the typical CWS bunt it takes off over the 1B head or 2 feet from the C.

If you watch the play over it's remarkable, He's holding the runner at 1st. Marek doesn't square real early so as to keep him held at first. No clue how he got the bunt down squaring as late as he did. 1b takes off like a rocket and covers an insane amount of ground. 99/100 he gets that exact same bunt down we score.

Back