• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball Recruiting: Juke Harris Commits!!

Forbes and Wild Wild Wes are equally good developers of talent.

Wrong. He was 6-8 and couldn’t shoot a lick. Carr, Klintman and Marsh are better.
Marsh is not better in the slightest. Sub ACC level 5s is the reason we're a bubble team and not a tournament team right now. Marsh also can't shoot (believe he's attempted 0 jump shots), is a much worse free throw shooter, MUCH worse defender, and worse rebounder than Ody. Ody would probably start for this team. Not as simple as saying his playing time there means he wouldn't play here.

Love people complaining about Marsh for staying in his lane and not forcing things he can't do.

Can't shoot from outside? Don't do it.

Not a shot blocker? Contest down low and keep your hands straight up.

Can't recover quickly? Try not to get yourself stuck in that position.

He does a pretty good job of playing to his strengths in order to better hide his liabilities. He has improved by leaps and bounds this season and I'm excited what he may improve on next year.

Love people complaining about Marsh for staying in his lane and not forcing things he can't do.

Can't shoot from outside? Don't do it.

Not a shot blocker? Contest down low and keep your hands straight up.

Can't recover quickly? Try not to get yourself stuck in that position.

He does a pretty good job of playing to his strengths in order to better hide his liabilities. He has improved by leaps and bounds this season and I'm excited what he may improve on next year.
Obviously if you can't shoot don't, but saying Marsh is better than Ody because Ody can't shoot is ridiculous when Marsh can't either. As for his defense, it's not just that he can't block shots. He gets stuck under the basket and in general whenever somebody catches it in position against him, they score. He got absolutely abused by NC State and it cost us that game. We have generally been forced to double on the catch in the post when he is in games, and it leads to wide open 3s that have punished us in several games. He clearly understands how to roll to the basket and is a consistent finisher on lobs which isn't as much of a given as some will say, but I really don't think there's more than one or two other ACC teams that he would play this many minutes for.

Obviously if you can't shoot don't, but saying Marsh is better than Ody because Ody can't shoot is ridiculous when Marsh can't either. As for his defense, it's not just that he can't block shots. He gets stuck under the basket and in general whenever somebody catches it in position against him, they score. He got absolutely abused by NC State and it cost us that game. We have generally been forced to double on the catch in the post when he is in games, and it leads to wide open 3s that have punished us in several games. He clearly understands how to roll to the basket and is a consistent finisher on lobs which isn't as much of a given as some will say, but I really don't think there's more than one or two other ACC teams that he would play this many minutes for.
It's not all about you.

My point stands. He stays in his lane. If he's getting abused by a match up Forbes needs to better protect him or calculate the positive/negative in with the match up.

It's not all about you.

My point stands. He stays in his lane. If he's getting abused by a match up Forbes needs to better protect him or calculate the positive/negative in with the match up.
So sharing my thoughts on our roster on a sports board is making it about me? Lol.

There's only so much Forbes can do with this roster at the 5. At some point if your roster is limited you are limited as a coach. It's either play Marsh which gives you a slightly better offensive threat at the rim but sacrifices defense badly, play Bradford who generally plays good defense but offers almost nothing offensively or on the glass, or go small and hope Carr can stay out of foul trouble and rebound well enough to hang in there. For the most part, we have figured out how to push the right buttons, but I agree that we should have seen much earlier against State that just about anybody was a better matchup than Marsh.

If Ody were on this team, his role would be pretty much the same as Marsh's. Neither of them would ever shoot. Marsh is better at finishing lobs. Ody is a better rebounder (and overall defender).

I do think Marsh is a better shooter that Ody, but neither is versatile enough to do it within the flow of what Forbes wants to do on offense. So kind of a moot point.

Remains to be seen if Marsh will develop that part of his game over the next couple of years.

I would beg to strongly differ with your evaluation of Marsh's offensive contributions.
He is currently shooting an astounding 64 of 71(90%) from the floor for the year. This has to be among the best in the history of the NCAA. What difference does it make that the majority of his makes are dunks.
Would he be a better offensive player if he was making 10 foot jumpers all the time or dazzling us with back to the basket moves?
Dunks still count 2 points.
I would bet that there are many coaches that would love to have Marsh as an offensive weapon.
Also, Bradford is holding his own by shooting 28 of 36(78%). Another outstanding percentage.
Forbes is not complaining about the offensive output from the center position.

I would beg to strongly differ with your evaluation of Marsh's offensive contributions.
He is currently shooting an astounding 64 of 71(90%) from the floor for the year. This has to be among the best in the history of the NCAA. What difference does it make that the majority of his makes are dunks.
Would he be a better offensive player if he was making 10 foot jumpers all the time or dazzling us with back to the basket moves?
Dunks still count 2 points.
I would bet that there are many coaches that would love to have Marsh as an offensive weapon.
Also, Bradford is holding his own by shooting 28 of 36(78%). Another outstanding percentage.
Forbes is not complaining about the offensive output from the center position.
My analysis of his offensive contribution is that he has a knack for cutting / rolling to the rim and is a consistent finisher on lobs, which is not as easy a thing to do as some would think even at that size. That's relatively one dimensional and he could really use some back to the basket post moves, but it's not an output I would necessarily complain about given where he's at development wise. The defense is more what I would criticize with him, and I think it hurts us a lot more than some realize if you consider the open perimeter shots we often give up by having to help Marsh in the post.

Back