• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball Recruiting: Juke Harris Commits!!

Sounds like we might just be getting some solid recruiting news in the near term. Curious how a commitment from Parker Friedrichsen ('23 SG) would impact the recruiting of Juke Harris ('24 SG), if at all. If we get both of those guys it would be kind of cool to have our next 3-4 years mapped out at the 2-guard spot between Hildreth, Friedrichsen and Harris. It would also mean we likely need to part ways with Taylor or McCray to open up a scholarship for a PG in the portal, which would stink. That's one of the ways the portal ends up hurting kids, but it's something we'd need to do since that's how the game is played these days. I hope that if we land Harris the fanbase notices how significant it is to pull a top 50 kid when he's talking to schools that we know have been offering significant money. That would be one of the most impressive commitments from a Wake staff in a very long time.

Sounds like we might just be getting some solid recruiting news in the near term. Curious how a commitment from Parker Friedrichsen ('23 SG) would impact the recruiting of Juke Harris ('24 SG), if at all. If we get both of those guys it would be kind of cool to have our next 3-4 years mapped out at the 2-guard spot between Hildreth, Friedrichsen and Harris. It would also mean we likely need to part ways with Taylor or McCray to open up a scholarship for a PG in the portal, which would stink. That's one of the ways the portal ends up hurting kids, but it's something we'd need to do since that's how the game is played these days. I hope that if we land Harris the fanbase notices how significant it is to pull a top 50 kid when he's talking to schools that we know have been offering significant money. That would be one of the most impressive commitments from a Wake staff in a very long time.
The down side of the two SGs is very limited ball handling. Going into 23 with Hildreth as the only ball handler with P5 level experience is ...not ideal.

The down side of the two SGs is very limited ball handling. Going into 23 with Hildreth as the only ball handler with P5 level experience is ...not ideal.
We will be bringing in a transfer PG this offseason to handle the ball.

By my count we have 12 scholarships allocated for next year:

Carr
Hildreth
Monsanto
Klintman
Marsh
Bradford
Keller
McCray
Taylor
Ituka
Clark
Marion

So we have one to give plus attrition

If it's a grad transfer, 24 could be the same, depending upon Ituka's recovery and play in 23.
Yea, I know. I've been a big proponent of high school recruiting because if you rely on transfers, it becomes something you have to restock every single year. Ideally, we would find a non-grad transfer with multiple years left to play, but capable grad transfers are more plentiful at that position.

By my count we have 12 scholarships allocated for next year:

Carr
Hildreth
Monsanto
Klintman
Marsh
Bradford
Keller
McCray
Taylor
Ituka
Clark
Marion

So we have one to give plus attrition
Yea this is what I have as well. I would expect us to part ways with one of McCray and Taylor and aim to keep everybody else. We will dish out one scholly to Friedrichsen (hopefully), one to a transfer PG, and then I think if we have anyone else leave, we will go after an additional big or best player available. Monsanto's status for next year is the biggest question mark.

Marsh is not better in the slightest. Sub ACC level 5s is the reason we're a bubble team and not a tournament team right now. Marsh also can't shoot (believe he's attempted 0 jump shots), is a much worse free throw shooter, MUCH worse defender, and worse rebounder than Ody. Ody would probably start for this team. Not as simple as saying his playing time there means he wouldn't play here.
Would you want Ody and Hildreth playing a lot of minutes together. Lots of energy and hustle, but two spots with very little shooting ability. I’m glad to have Carr and Klintman. Marsh is a totally different type of player. Very hard to compare Ody and Marsh. Marsh is huge.

If it's a grad transfer, 24 could be the same, depending upon Ituka's recovery and play in 23.

It’s not much different than football programs bringing in a new transfer QB every year.

I trust grad transfers way more than I trust college freshmen. I think you need a decent mix, but as good as Forbes has shown he is at it, I'm full on his way of doing things.

Even with the great track record Forbes has with bringing in transfers, there is no guarantee that you'll be able to land an ideal fit from the limited number of talented players in the portal.

If you can find talented high school recruits (domestic or international), I think you have to sign them. If they don't work out, they'll move on anyway.

And as others have said, it's silly to think we won't have some sort of attrition to free up a spot or two.

I kinda always thought Taylor and McCray were not really in our future plans based on just minutes/redshirting. McCray is somewhat interesting because he could've transferred at Christmas and been eligible quicker.

Yea, I know. I've been a big proponent of high school recruiting because if you rely on transfers, it becomes something you have to restock every single year. Ideally, we would find a non-grad transfer with multiple years left to play, but capable grad transfers are more plentiful at that position.
I think that is a reasonable perspective. However, a high school recruit coming and performing at Alondes/Appleby level is one-and-done territory. I doubt we would regret a freshman coming in and producing to that level, even if for one year. I also like getting a player's best college years. Let them learn on someone else's bench. Then we have more scholarships allocated to playable players. You invest more time in recruiting due to turnover (maybe), but less time lost in development.

Back