• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

A healthy Dom is probably Wakes best at all of those. The question may be "which of those has an acceptable second best?" There was no discussion of the punting game in the write up.

Kick offs also weren't discussed. Anybody know if any of these guys have enough distance on KOs to consistently get touchbacks?

Alternative: Don't punt. Just go for it every time.

Sciba mentioned in his Q&A that Dom is "great at kickoffs." I'm also sure punting has not been mentioned because there is not an issue there and Dom is currently nursing an injury. Not sure I recall much press this time of the year when we had Kinal because we already know what we had with him.

Thought there might be mention of backup punter. Last year kicker and punter were each others backup. Sounds like Wake may need to find backup punter. Dom can't backup himself.

That's how I hope we solve our punt protect problems in the future.

Yeah, punter is one position you hope the kid doesn't have to do much to earn his scholarship. Unless of course he's the holder too, as is often the case.

Yeah, punter is one position you hope the kid doesn't have to do much to earn his scholarship. Unless of course he's the holder too, as is often the case.

I hope the holder only sees action on extra points.

I'm already nervous about football season. It is a much anticipated season coming up with a lot of people thinking we could be pretty good, so that is a prime situation for us to go out and lay an egg. A lot like how the current baseball season is going.

I’m not worried. Carolina, State and ASU will dominate the local sports pages and the regional media will tout those programs every day including Mondays. Wake will have plenty to prove and much to be realistically humble about.
Only the impressionable will inflate their self importance, and Clawson will let those sit until their heads deflate adequately. Guys leave this coach and go elsewhere when they believe their own personal agenda is larger than Clawson’s.
All of Clawson’s guys are on notice to be disciplined and humble. The ones who don’t grasp the message have to sit very frequently and some of them then leave for less than green grass.
Not to pick on Hines too much but he is really gambling on a highly risky bet by leaving. He had a difficult time with Dortch upstaging him. Yet, there is no guarantee Dortch plays a full season.
The coach who brought Wolford farther than many could imagine will have his players playing with the right attitude.

If y’all haven’t looked at Wolford’s senior highlights, check them out: https://youtu.be/8j1Do8dvypA

Seeing all these dimes back to back to back is really a striking testament to his anticipation and accuracy. We are really going to miss him next year. I hope he catches on somewhere in the league.

John is awesome. And I'd already forgotten what an amazing year Scotty Washington had. Our receiving group really stepped it up this year.

Not so bold prediction. If Dortch plays 13 games, he'll break all the Wake single season receiving records:

98 receptions (Moore 2007)
1330 yards (Givens 2011)
12 TDs (Duckett 1980)

I'm already nervous about football season. It is a much anticipated season coming up with a lot of people thinking we could be pretty good, so that is a prime situation for us to go out and lay an egg. A lot like how the current baseball season is going.

Pudding pants

Not so bold prediction. If Dortch plays 13 games, he'll break all the Wake single season receiving records:

1330 yards (Givens 2011)
12 TDs (Duckett 1980)

Out of those 3 records, I see him breaking the TD record first

1330 yards (Givens 2011)
12 TDs (Duckett 1980)

Dortch would have had a shot at all three records last year if he had stayed healthy. I would be surprised if he comes close this year just because Hinton doesn't seem to be quite as accurate on the short to intermediate range throws. I also expect Washington to continue his solid play from the second half of last year as well as an improvement in the offensive line, leading to a stronger running game.

Did Tyler Bell tear his ACL this week?

Conor’s most recent take on Wake sounds like he did.

Looks like McKinney won't be wearing the red shirt for long. Depth might be needed from the newcomers on defense as well.

Back