• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football / Military Bowl Thread

Actually I was just looking on si.com's staff bowl picks and 3 out of the 7 picked us to win. Would've thought Temple would've been unanimous.

That's because smart people knew Temple's third ranked defense was smoke and mirrors. Our defense ranking is totally legit considering our competition. Let's face it. Temple finishes dead fucking last in the ACC.

1 touchdown in the last 3 quarters, plus about 12 minutes of the 1st quarter. We got the ball first, went 3 and out and they scored on their first play from scrimmage. So, the defense gave up one touchdown in the last 57 minutes of so of play, but I'm sure Lohegrin will be along to bitch about the defense.

No moran, the Military Bowl vindicated everything I said about the BC game. Defense in MB, when ahead by only 5 in 4th Q, did not concede a TD. Defense in MB maintained the lead provided by the offense. Defensive play in MB was the key. There is no inconsistency in my analysis.. only yours and the other "haters".

Quick question deac fans. Did you guys run that tempo offense at all this year or was it a new wrinkle you put in for today? It was very effective and I assume you'll use more of it next year.

Yeah, they went up-tempo at times this season. Usually after picking up a first down or two. I think Clawson would like to do it more, but the offensive struggles have made it tough to do a lot, as I am sure he doesn't want to keep rushing the defense back onto the field after 30 second three and outs.

Oh brother!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

No moran, the Military Bowl vindicated everything I said about the BC game. Defense in MB, when ahead by only 5 in 4th Q, did not concede a TD. Defense in MB maintained the lead provided by the offense. Defensive play in MB was the key. There is no inconsistency in my analysis.. only yours and the other "haters".

The only thing it vindicates is the importance of the offense pulling their own weight as they did yesterday in the first half by scoring points. The defense played very well in the BC game, only giving up 7 points that didn't come off a turnover by our offense. The offense pulled their weight yesterday, they didn't in the BC game, that was the difference and pretty much everybody sees that except for you.

Football games (particularly between relatively even teams like BC and WF) can be decided by weird fluky plays.

Love Jesse Bates (and he may end up as an all-time great), but he muffed a punt deep in WF territory which led to BC's first score, when the BC offense was doing nothing; that never happens to Bates, but it did that day. Then, after WF took the lead, BC converted a 4th and 6 and went 70+ yards to for the game winning TD drive; that day BC's offense had 16 possessions and on 15 of them, their longest drive was 30 yards; with the game on the line, the defense give up a 73 yard drive. Also, Matt Colburn dropped a pass on 4th down in BC territory with nothing but green in front of him.

Yes, the offense shared in the blame for the BC loss, but unusual events conspired to beat WF that day. Was kind of surprised how many seemed resigned after that loss, because WF was the better team (not by a lot, but better), but just had a couple of bad bounces that day. WF wins that game 7 out of 10; just happened that one of this 3 hit that day. It happens

Football games (particularly between relatively even teams like BC and WF) can be decided by weird fluky plays.

Love Jesse Bates (and he may end up as an all-time great), but he muffed a punt deep in WF territory which led to BC's first score, when the BC offense was doing nothing; that never happens to Bates, but it did that day. Then, after WF took the lead, BC converted a 4th and 6 and went 70+ yards to for the game winning TD drive; that day BC's offense had 16 possessions and on 15 of them, their longest drive was 30 yards; with the game on the line, the defense give up a 73 yard drive. Also, Matt Colburn dropped a pass on 4th down in BC territory with nothing but green in front of him.

Yes, the offense shared in the blame for the BC loss, but unusual events conspired to beat WF that day. Was kind of surprised how many seemed resigned after that loss, because WF was the better team (not by a lot, but better), but just had a couple of bad bounces that day. WF wins that game 7 out of 10; just happened that one of this 3 hit that day. It happens

Sure the timing of when we gave us the 73 yard drive was bad, but it's really hard to ask a defense not named Alabama to do much more than that isn't it?

We gave up two long TD passes yesterday. If we have the typical offensive production of 14 to 17 points, we lose yesterday.

If we score 30 points every game this year, there is a good chance we are looking at a 9-3 or 10-2 regular season.

And 30 points isn't some incredible offensive output. Averaging 30 PPG gets you #59 in the NCAA in scoring offense.

We gave up two long TD passes yesterday. If we have the typical offensive production of 14 to 17 points, we lose yesterday.

If we score 30 points every game this year, there is a good chance we are looking at a 9-3 or 10-2 regular season.

And 30 points isn't some incredible offensive output. Averaging 30 PPG gets you #59 in the NCAA in scoring offense.

The defense played better in the BC game really than yesterday. They stepped up at crucial times yesterday, but also gave up several plays.

We didn't just randomly decide to do that. It was dictated by an injury to our QB.

Of course, but Kearns can play. Would have like to see us do a little something aside from three runs up the gut but like I said, it worked so pleased with the result. Felt like the defense got a save yesterday.

Alright so I looked back at the drive chart and it was really just two three and outs with Kearns where we essentially just went into a shell. We did it once more on the FG drive after the long KR but that was the right call. So all-in-all, it was an effective strategy that just personally scared the crap out of me.

Alright so I looked back at the drive chart and it was really just two three and outs with Kearns where we essentially just went into a shell. We did it once more on the FG drive after the long KR but that was the right call. So all-in-all, it was an effective strategy that just personally scared the crap out of me.

You weren't alone.

Apologize if mentioned already in this thread, but when Kearns went into the game, Jamie Newman (who was fully dressed out and not in sweats like most of the other redshirting frosh, Kamara was also dressed out) started warming up. Wonder if Clawson was prepared to burn Newman's redshirt had Kearns gone down.

Apologize if mentioned already in this thread, but when Kearns went into the game, Jamie Newman (who was fully dressed out and not in sweats like most of the other redshirting frosh, Kamara was also dressed out) started warming up. Wonder if Clawson was prepared to burn Newman's redshirt had Kearns gone down.

Man, I sure hope not. I would have rather just direct snapped to Carney the rest of the game. Pretty much same result.

If I recall correctly, Wake was pretty banged up in the second half of the season. With time to heal and rest up, I was cautiously optimistic we would put out a strong showing (Apologize if this has been covered already). I have been fortunate enough to attend most of the bowls (even the '79 Tangerine Bowl) and by far, this was the most enjoyable one I have experienced. The Wake crowd was great.

Hope some of you listened to me and are now billionaires

Presumably you also listened to yourself, in which case you're spending your first day as a billionaire on these boards. That's devotion :)

So where is our preseason prediction thread? I said 6-6 but with a bowl loss. Time to dust that thread off and see who nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacfreak07 View Post
It really surprises me how low bowl committee's [change from fan's] expectations are for Wake. The Deacs travel and play well in bowl games.

I disagree with your edit. For example, this year the military bowl selected Wake instead of NC State or BC, even though all three teams had 6-6 records and Wake lost to both NC State and BC.

Serious props to everyone from Wake who worked on making this whole thing happen.

Huge fight to get the Military Bowl - tons of work done by a lot of people to sway them. Drew a tougher opponent than they would have otherwise. Great effort to host parties and events leading up to the game. Fan section looked awesome on TV, game turned out to be a nail-biter but a victory.

There's been a lot of mocking the crappier bowl games and complaining about pricing for tailgates and parties, but overall knocking out a top 25 team after all the playbook leak nonsense, behind a great crowd on an awesome day in Annapolis... Just a great payoff after a lot of hard years for everyone involved.

Back