• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Quite happy he is not going to duke, though I believe we don’t have a shot at him.

Have you heard anything to believe this? Or just speculation?

With our QB pipeline, Wake would be a great place for him.
Plus, very easy for friends and family to watch him play.

I'd think so also but have no scoop on anything regarding this kid.

Have you heard anything to believe this? Or just speculation

No insider information, just my hunch. I really hope I’m wrong and would love to have him though. I just think he received multiple new offers in the last 1-2 months that made him rethink some things. He’s had an offer from WF for a while (prior to his commitment to duke), so I just don’t think we are in play.

Have you heard anything to believe this? Or just speculation

No insider information, just my hunch. I really hope I’m wrong and would love to have him though. I just think he received multiple new offers in the last 1-2 months that made him rethink some things. He’s had an offer from WF for a while (prior to his commitment to duke), so I just don’t think we are in play.

Not saying you aren't right, but that is not the information that i've gotten/heard. An early Duke commit (OL Monk I think) and his family worked all of the kids that visited really hard and also worked their parents really hard. It worked and they got a lot of early commits that most of the recruiting people thought were actually leaning else where (knight and Greene especially). That feeling and pressure will go away eventually and the kid and family will get back to doing what they want to do compared to what the pressure of others around them want. Same thing happens with the disgusting "Fedora Freak Show" that UNC does when they get the recruits all in a circle at the end and get them all worked up and ask who's next and put them on the spot in front of everyone. It's a gross tactic (that is effective) that the smarter ones figure out eventually. I still think Greene stays in state, Wake, UNC or State. WF was the buzz early on so i'd be shocked if they aren't in it til the end.

Not saying you aren't right, but that is not the information that i've gotten/heard. An early Duke commit (OL Monk I think) and his family worked all of the kids that visited really hard and also worked their parents really hard. It worked and they got a lot of early commits that most of the recruiting people thought were actually leaning else where (knight and Greene especially). That feeling and pressure will go away eventually and the kid and family will get back to doing what they want to do compared to what the pressure of others around them want. Same thing happens with the disgusting "Fedora Freak Show" that UNC does when they get the recruits all in a circle at the end and get them all worked up and ask who's next and put them on the spot in front of everyone. It's a gross tactic (that is effective) that the smarter ones figure out eventually. I still think Greene stays in state, Wake, UNC or State. WF was the buzz early on so i'd be shocked if they aren't in it til the end.

Thanks for the info! I really hope you’re right! That UNC tactic really is sickening.

The only thing I'll say is that I admire the dook and hole coaches for trying to use strategies that can improve their recruiting success in some degree. Some might become disaffected with it, but if those methods weren't used the recruit wouldn't have committed in the first place. I often feel wake is some patsy school that would never consider methods like this. But this is all a game within a game and the bombastic cutcliffe knows the "score" and will do almost anything to beat out wake for recruits. He believes, check that, "knows" that dook is a superior school and program and I'm sure he trashes wake to the nth degree to recruits considering us. Have to fight fire with fire.

The only thing I'll say is that I admire the dook and hole coaches for trying to use strategies that can improve their recruiting success in some degree. Some might become disaffected with it, but if those methods weren't used the recruit wouldn't have committed in the first place. I often feel wake is some patsy school that would never consider methods like this. But this is all a game within a game and the bombastic cutcliffe knows the "score" and will do almost anything to beat out wake for recruits. He believes, check that, "knows" that dook is a superior school and program and I'm sure he trashes wake to the nth degree to recruits considering us. Have to fight fire with fire.

Wake Football>Duke Football right now, and its obvious after the last 2 seasons. Should be easy to out recruit them.

Wake Football>Duke Football right now, and its obvious after the last 2 seasons. Should be easy to out recruit them.

It's not that obvious. We looked like crap against them two games ago.

It's not that obvious. We looked like crap against them two games ago.

Well, we looked very good the 1st half, but not the 2nd. Several 4th and short, we should have, in retrospect, gone for. Disappointing game.

Duke has been bowling 5 of the last 6 years; after owning Duke for a long time, WF has only beaten Duke once in the last 6 head to head matchups. Like WF, Duke has made a huge investment in football facilities over the last decade. Despite the head to head loss, WF had a slightly better 2017 season than Duke overall.

Maybe WF gets a slight edge over Duke given the Clawson/Cutcliffe age disparity, but I would rate the current state of each program as about even (and a pro-Duke argument is not delusional).

That’s a good assessment. Duke was in the ACC Championship game as well.

I'm not familiar with Duke's facilities upgrades. Last time I visited Wally Wade it looked like a rundown D2 stadium. Have they really improved as much as we have?

In the last 2 seasons: Wake 15-11 with 2 bowl wins, Duke 11-14 with 1 bowl win. Since 2015, 4 Wake players have been drafted in the NFL while Duke had 2. Wake's facilities are newer and nicer. Clawson has all the momentum since Elrod got revealed. We should have not lost to them last season, but the team was already bowl eligible and took them too lightly. 2 of Duke's last 5 bowl seasons were against very weak schedules, and they were 2-3 in those bowl games. Clawson is 2-0. This season I expect to see more Hinton and Cade highlights like this against Duke:

We have the momentum, they are downward trending.

Back