• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

I've been saying that myself. And my own thought is: Go ahead and redshirt them, just don't pay for them to attend summer school. You don't want them graduating before their 5th year, thus assisting them in abandoning your program.

I dare say that there are WAY more players that are able to stay eligible thanks to taking classes during summer school vs kids that transfer out for their 5th season. And like I said before, almost all of those are 2nd/3rd stringers.

I've been saying that myself. And my own thought is: Go ahead and redshirt them, just don't pay for them to attend summer school. You don't want them graduating before their 5th year, thus assisting them in abandoning your program.

student athletes!

i know it's a small thing but i'm curious why groves stadium is still artificial turf?

there's just no reason to not be growing grass below the mason dixon line especially when there's evidence suggesting knee and recovery problems attributed to field turf.

please post the evidence.

I think its a little amateur hour that we made the switch but it is too late now. We've invested a lot in the field turf and its not changing.

you don't think that wouldn't get around to hs coaches regardless of being shitty?

please post the evidence.

I think its a little amateur hour that we made the switch but it is too late now. We've invested a lot in the field turf and its not changing.

from 2012.

Football knee injuries more likely on artificial turf: study. (Reuters) - College football players suffer knee injuries about 40 percent more often when playing on an artificial turf versus grass, according to a U.S. study. ... Each time a player practiced, scrimmaged or played a game was counted as one exposure.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...n-artificial-turf-study-idUSBRE84002Q20120501

last year there was an anonymous MLS poll and Q&A in which players lamented that playing on turf (besides being awful for soccer) adds an extra day to the recovery that a usual grass pitch takes

i know it's a small thing but i'm curious why groves stadium is still artificial turf?

there's just no reason to not be growing grass below the mason dixon line especially when there's evidence suggesting knee and recovery problems attributed to field turf.

Not sure that is the case anymore. 20 years ago, "astroturf" did seem to cause some injuries; believe the pellets in the field turf help mitigate some of the risk of feet sticking. You seem to forget that our grass field used to viewed as largely unplayable and there was an RB from FSU who claimed he blew out his knee as a result.

from 2012.

Football knee injuries more likely on artificial turf: study. (Reuters) - College football players suffer knee injuries about 40 percent more often when playing on an artificial turf versus grass, according to a U.S. study. ... Each time a player practiced, scrimmaged or played a game was counted as one exposure.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...n-artificial-turf-study-idUSBRE84002Q20120501

last year there was an anonymous MLS poll and Q&A in which players lamented that playing on turf (besides being awful for soccer) adds an extra day to the recovery that a usual grass pitch takes

There are other studies with evidence showing that there are less injuries on turf. It's not cut and dry like you imply.

from 2012.

Admittedly I have not clicked the link, but I wonder what time period they studied? Older turf was notoriously bad on knees, but I thought the newer turf was not. I prefer grass, but a significant number of major football programs have moved to turf.

http://sportswithoutinjury.com/truth-artificial-turf-injuries/
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sportsdoc/Grass-vs-Turf-does-it-affect-injury-rate.html
https://sites.psu.edu/siowfa16/2016/09/08/grass-vs-turf-which-is-safer/
https://www.eumotus.com/blog/2017/10/02/artificial-turf-natural-grass.html

In short: there's no "consensus" on the safety of turf vs grass. It depends on the specific grass vs the specific turf, and the specific sport, and the specific shoes (shoes designed for turf vs grass), and many other things that aren't necessarily controlled for in these studies. Some studies say grass is safer, some say turf is safer, and some say there's no significant difference. There doesn't appear to be enough data out there to confidently say one way or another. Plus, turf fields are constantly changing and improving, while there's not really anything "new" happening with grass from a safety standpoint.

Not sure about other injuries but the newer black pellet surface has seen a decline in ACLs because the cleat is less likely to stick in the turf. You see a lot of players sliding on the black pellets. Although I’m sure it’s frustrating for the players, it might have saved them from tearing their shit.

Also, you can freaking fly on this surface.

I dare say that there are WAY more players that are able to stay eligible thanks to taking classes during summer school vs kids that transfer out for their 5th season. And like I said before, almost all of those are 2nd/3rd stringers.

Make them show cause for summer school. Summer school isn't a "right". You're giving them five years to graduate for god's sake. Tabari did it in four and blew out. That shows summer school isn't necessary.

Downside to our turf is that you will burn the shit out of yourself sliding in flag football , but you gotta make the championship to find that out :)

Downside to our turf is that you will burn the shit out of yourself sliding in flag football , but you gotta make the championship to find that out :)
You should try sliding on astroturf. Makes field turf sliding feel like a massage

Make them show cause for summer school. Summer school isn't a "right". You're giving them five years to graduate for god's sake. Tabari did it in four and blew out. That shows summer school isn't necessary.

Coaches want the players in summer school so they can take a minimal load in the fall and stay eligible.

The original Astroturf was pretty much a rug over asphalt. The base under today's artificial turf surfaces are more complex and softer. Artificial turf is definitely hotter than grass.

Back