• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Coaches want the players in summer school so they can take a minimal load in the fall and stay eligible.

I know that. But if they have five years instead of four, they don't need the extra summer school sessions. I'm not talking about all players, just the ones who redshirt. And if a player needs the credit or something to stay eligible, then that's reason to attend. But otherwise they don't need to be prepared to graduate after four if they're on the five year plan.

And I also realize that coaches like the players to be on campus to continue with strength and conditioning, but there are trade offs. I don't like to see disgruntled players abandon Wake, depriving us of quality depth -- always a problem for us, not for say Clemson -- and go to "greener pastures". This isn't some radical proposal, it's called thinking outside the box, which is in short supply at Wake and continues to be a reason why we struggle athletically.

You're still advocating for stifling the academic progress of our players.

I know that. But if they have five years instead of four, they don't need the extra summer school sessions. I'm not talking about all players, just the ones who redshirt. And if a player needs the credit or something to stay eligible, then that's reason to attend. But otherwise they don't need to be prepared to graduate after four if they're on the five year plan.

And I also realize that coaches like the players to be on campus to continue with strength and conditioning, but there are trade offs. I don't like to see disgruntled players abandon Wake, depriving us of quality depth -- always a problem for us, not for say Clemson -- and go to "greener pastures". This isn't some radical proposal, it's called thinking outside the box, which is in short supply at Wake and continues to be a reason why we struggle athletically.

Sorry to break it to you, but you aren't "thinking outside the box". As pretty much everyone else on here points out, you are just spouting nonsense. For starters, you are trying to solve for a problem that doesn't exist. Wake has NEVER had a starter leave via the grad transfer route. Secondly, you prove that you are living in a bubble when you say that a team like Clemson doesn't have an issue with transfers. Clemson has had SEVEN transfers this offseason. In fact, I'm pretty sure the better teams have more transfers, because they have 4 and 5 star recruits that routinely get recruited over by the next wave of 4 and 5 star recruits.

Unfortunately for Wake, we look out for the STUDENT-athlete. Dortch could have played in the bowl game, but Clawson said "I would not put anyone's son back out there after that kind of surgery" (paraphrasing). Wolford could have returned to the 2016 bowl game after landing on his neck, but Clawson kept him out.

Staying with that same ideiology: If you think Clawson is thinking like the way you do about basically forcing to keep a Wake player for 5 years, then I'll have some of your drugs (I guess that's how you think outside of the box). Clawson looks out for the STUDENT-athlete's future first and foremost. Whether that means the student graduates early and doesn't play his fourth year to take a job with a good company or they graduate and go to Oregon because they are not happy, for example. If they want to go to "greener pastures," let them go, next man up.

Honestly, we need more Clawson's in college sports.

Not sure about other injuries but the newer black pellet surface has seen a decline in ACLs because the cleat is less likely to stick in the turf. You see a lot of players sliding on the black pellets. Although I’m sure it’s frustrating for the players, it might have saved them from tearing their shit.

Also, you can freaking fly on this surface.

The technology used in making synthetic turf has changed/improved tremendously over the years. The polymers used to make the 'blades of grass', the various heights and densities of the turf for various sports and applications, the types of fillers that are used. There are now also 'cooling systems' that can be built into the sub layer to prevent super hot surfaces.
All these help safety and performance.
Also, lifecycle costs of synthetic turf are much lower than natural grass (less maintenance) and the surfaces can be used much mire frequently. Lastly, and very important for Televised games, synthetic fields look much better, especially in the rain, and players uniforms don't get dirty.
Bottom line - more and more sports fields will continue to shift to synthetic turf.

Problem with field turf is that it might give you cancer

What I'd like to see is a study comparing field turf to grass coated with all of the fertilizer, chemicals, etc used to keep it healthy and green (including the dye often used as the season wears on).

You're still advocating for stifling the academic progress of our players.

I. Don't. Give. A. Shit.

My only loyalty is to the athletic programs of Wake Forest, and as long as a diploma is capable of being earned they are getting what they were promised: A scholarship to attend and graduate from WFU. I am not and will not be a "players advocate". They are unduly pampered as it is and it's time to uphold their commitment to Wake Forest. The program should be what matters to them too.

I. Don't. Give. A. Shit.

My only loyalty is to the athletic programs of Wake Forest, and as long as a diploma is capable of being earned they are getting what they were promised: A scholarship to attend and graduate from WFU. I am not and will not be a "players advocate". They are unduly pampered as it is and it's time to uphold their commitment to Wake Forest. The program should be what matters to them too.

LOL. Your suggestion would harm our athletic program, immensely. Stop. Just stop.

Not to mention grad transfers leaving (that actually play/start) is something that's WAY more common in non-P5 programs. If a player is good enough to start on our team entering his fifth year, he can graduate on time and enroll in grad school while still playing football for our program.

This is just a ridiculous take.

Yep. I think a player who graduates should be free to do whatever he wants to do and it's up to the coaches, etc to do the work to keep him. I assume Clawson made his best pitch to get Hines to stay and play with Dortch and Hines chose to go to Oregon. Hard to blame either side here. I'll be rooting for Hines.

I want Greene here bad. Hopefully Clawson can swing him because I can picture him making big touchdown catches in front of the student section.

Seems like a no brainer to come to Wake if he was planning on going to Duke. We currently(2018) have a better program than they do, we are an hour and a half closer to his friends and family, and we've put 2 wide receivers in the NFL over the last decade. Come on Donovan!

I would rather disgruntled players leave Wake than stay in our locker room.

That's not the philosophy of Championship Coach Urban Meyer for sure.

Wow yeah, I’d imagine if we were getting five star recruits we might not redshirt them either. Guess what? We’re not.

We have three redshirt senior offensive lineman on our roster this year. That is why they’re so good. One is first team preseason all acc.

This is actually one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever read on the boards.

Wow yeah, I’d imagine if we were getting five star recruits we might not redshirt them either. Guess what? We’re not.

We have three redshirt senior offensive lineman on our roster this year. That is why they’re so good. One is first team preseason all acc.

This is actually one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever read on the boards.

Wake needs to have redshirt juniors and 5th year senior offensive linemen to remain competitive.

Back