• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

What is it with our highest rated recruits not panning out. I hope it ends with him.

What is it with our highest rated recruits not panning out. I hope it ends with him.
Ratings aren’t perfect obviously but no ratings system for on field performance can address the off field sentiments of an 18 year old away from home, mom and friends for first time in life. And the highly rated that stay a couple years in a developmental system may have real difficulty waiting their turn.
But we clearly have an unusual number of bad breaks with some of the highest rated. After an easy path to high school fame it may be very difficult for some when they have to focus and really work hard academically and athletically for the first time for fame and success in college.

Ratings aren’t perfect obviously but no ratings system for on field performance can address the off field sentiments of an 18 year old away from home, mom and friends for first time in life. And the highly rated that stay a couple years in a developmental system may have real difficulty waiting their turn.
But we clearly have an unusual number of bad breaks with some of the highest rated. After an easy path to high school fame it may be very difficult for some when they have to focus and really work hard academically and athletically for the first time for fame and success in college.

I wonder if it relates to being red shirted? He enrolled early and still was being red shirted. Perhaps that triggered some disillusionment/homesickness?

Yes, but with the new red-shirt rule he was most likely to play in 4 games. As a freshman (non-red-shirting) being a 3rd string he could hardly expect a lot more snaps. Any chance his mama sends him back?

Yes, but with the new red-shirt rule he was most likely to play in 4 games. As a freshman (non-red-shirting) being a 3rd string he could hardly expect a lot more snaps. Any chance his mama sends him back?

I think we are overestimating just how many true freshman we will play for 4 games. Some just are not ready to play year 1, period. Even for four games. Clawson isn’t going to play just play someone because of this new rule simply because it’s in his back pocket. If Claw thinks ha player won’t be helpful to the team to get a W, he won’t play them.

In Brown’s case, I don’t think he was going play period in 2018. A 260 pound DT would hurt our team at this moment (even against the Tulane) compared to the alternatives of T.Williams/Kamara/etc.
He also wouldn’t be helpful on special teams which freshman LBs/Safties can help.

We can only speculate why he left. Homesick, school to hard, culture fit, playing time, bed too hard? There are no D1 schools in Saluda. He would not seem to project much more playing time in any Power 5 program as a frosh as he has some growing and maturing to do. Best just to shake your head for the opportunities missed on both sides, wish him well and move on. I can understand missing the Purple Onion however, so maybe that is the real reason.

Clawson said that something like the freshmen divide into three camps, those who will play the whole season, those who will play four games and can earn more games, and those who won’t play at all.

Clawson said that something like the freshmen divide into three camps, those who will play the whole season, those who will play four games and can earn more games, and those who won’t play at all.

That's not exactly a revolutionary breakdown of freshman playing time under this new rule.

That's not exactly a revolutionary breakdown of freshman playing time under this new rule.

He launched into this in full at media day a couple of weeks ago. Main gist was that he and the staff have a plan for how they'll utilize the new rule, but he's not going to share that before the season. Or at least, he wasn't going to share it in mid-July. I'm sure halfway through the season, it'll be pretty discernible. Here's part of the quote:

"I’d say this: there’s still three decisions that we make. Every freshman, we say one of three things:

If they can help us win, we’re going to play them. That won’t change.

If they can’t help us win, we’re not going to play them. I mean, you’re not just going to play a guy four games. If he’s not good enough to play, he’s not good enough to play.

It’s that middle group that we call “Red Alert,” that we would like to redshirt them but they’re an injury or two injuries away from having to play. That middle group is the group that I think you can maybe try to get them in for a game or two early, see how they do and if they clearly show up and they’re ready to play, they go in the play category. If they’re not ready and they’re overwhelmed, they go in the redshirt category. If they’re kind of in that middle area, you’d like to maybe save a game or two of their eligibility. Let’s say it’s Week 8 and we’re playing on four-day rest and you have a kid that twisted his ankle.

You’d like to have that not be his fifth game and lose the year. You’d like to have maybe a game or two in the bank that you could get through that one- or two-week injury without completely blowing a year of eligibility."

Hopefully that makes sense. I might try to spell this out more later in the fall or at some point during the season, but hopefully this can give yall a general idea of how the staff feels about the new rule.

We can only speculate why he left. Homesick, school to hard, culture fit, playing time, bed too hard? There are no D1 schools in Saluda. He would not seem to project much more playing time in any Power 5 program as a frosh as he has some growing and maturing to do. Best just to shake your head for the opportunities missed on both sides, wish him well and move on. I can understand missing the Purple Onion however, so maybe that is the real reason.

Purple Onion is pretty jam up, but this kid is from Saluda SC and there ain't a whole helluva lot to miss there.

Makes perfect sense, Conor. I don't think we can expect Clawson to give much more detail about a completely new policy that was just instituted 6 weeks ago. And he's not going to tip his hand or help other coaches figure it out either.

Clawson has the intellect to figure out the new redshirt rule. Fedora on the other hand....

Fedora doesn't have time. He's working on his next Statue of Liberty play from the 1 yard line.

Does Fedora lead CFB in safeties last three years? Perpetual dumbass playcalling when backed up. Arrogance that they can call anything wherever they are on the field.

Does Fedora lead CFB in safeties last three years? Perpetual dumbass playcalling when backed up. Arrogance that they can call anything wherever they are on the field.

That's the Red Bull making the play calls

Saw that Christian Harris, highly regarded younger brother of Tylor Harris who played at Wake committed to Texas A&M. Elko's relationship with his brother was cited as a factor in him going there. Too bad he didn't follow his brother instead of his brother's coach.

Back