• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Because they're winners and both run clean programs. I think both would adjust their offensive philosophy to the talent pool available. They don't get 4* receivers at Annapolis and AF, thus that's not what they build their O around. I was impressed with the O that Calhoun had here for a couple of seasons, and he coached in Denver and Houston where I doubt they were running much flexbone.

I just like Ken and like what he does at Navy.

Not sure why Elko would have 4* receivers beating down our door either.

Fair enough.

Elko already makes almost the exact same ($1.8 M) as what Clawson is reported to make. Pretty crazy. Assuming he continues to succeed, someone will pay him $3 M+ as a head coach.

Someone will pay him $$$$ as in $3 to $4 mil? Okay. That someone could be the Deacon, right?
Base price of WF season tix = $160. If WF wins regularly that base increases which really goes into the pockets of the coaches. Assuming the potential for an average collection of $160 across 28000 seats then roughly $4.9 million is collected off seats alone. Assume the actual seat revenue production currently is only 1/2 or $2.5 million then if winning truly generates additional seat sales, the coach pays much of the increased salary. Then add the increase in base price due to winning and you arrive at the sources of paying a higher salary here at Good Old Wake Forest—Increased ticket sales and price.

If we hire a coach who runs Navy/Ga Tech's offense I'll be done with Wake football forever.

If we hire a coach who runs Navy/Ga Tech's offense I'll be done with Wake football forever.

Wake won their first ACC championship with an offense very much like what Navy runs. Today, with the more liberal rules on pass blocking and more limited contact with receivers before catch, any offense that doesn't pass is not being smart.

Navy and GaTech run niche offenses. Navy because that better suits the people they can get (not getting 300 lb linemen in the Navy). Ga Tech decided to go that route. Less competition for certain players, but at a cost of an offense that has very little "catch-up" ability.

Wake's 2006 offense was far from what Navy's is today. Mis-direction, maybe.

But we did not run anything close to the triple-option that Navy runs.

Wake's 2006 offense was far from what Navy's is today. Mis-direction, maybe.

But we did not run anything close to the triple-option that Navy runs.

Wake won their FIRST ACC championship in 1970 using the veer offense pioneered by Bill Yeomans Houston Cougars and commonly used during the early 1970's. Wasn't talking about Wake's SECOND ACC championship in 2006.

GT runs basically the same offense as Navy and still gets a couple 4 star WRs most years.

GT runs basically the same offense as Navy and still gets a couple 4 star WRs most years.

Ga Tech pass plays tend to be "big plays." They throw about 1/3 as many (119 vs 333) passes but average almost twice the yards per catch (21 vs 11). So receivers don't catch many balls but get a lot of yards when they do.

Some guys will be OK with that. Hence the WR recruiting successes.

Last edited:
Ga Tech pass plays tend to be "big plays." They throw about 1/3 as many (119 vs 333) passes but average almost twice the yards per catch (21 vs 11). So receivers don't catch many balls but get a lot of yards when they do.

Some guys will be OK with that. Hence the WR recruiting successes.

Do you really want to watch that shit twelve times a year ? Ga Tech fans I know are totally over it.

Do you really want to watch that shit twelve times a year ? Ga Tech fans I know are totally over it.

Been there, done that. Just a remark about why some decent receivers might be willing to go to a program where they get fewer chances than they might otherwise.

However, a really well run veer option running attack was good football before the rules that encourage passing were put into place. The best was the final drive that won the 1970 ACC championship for Wake. Everybody in the stadium knew what was coming, but the baby blue goats couldn't stop the Wake veer offense from going 90 yards to score and win.

Good receivers make mistakes all the time. Megatron with to Tech with the hope of catching balls from Reggie Ball.

Makes no difference though. Even Wellman isn't dumb enough to hire one of these single-wing triple-option idiots.

Donavon Greene first team All-State and played in a 2 quarter scrimmage at BB&T last night. First play was a 70 yard TD catch. Can’t wait to see him wearing gold and black next year.

Donavon Greene first team All-State and played in a 2 quarter scrimmage at BB&T last night. First play was a 70 yard TD catch. Can’t wait to see him wearing gold and black next year.

Same here.
I'm guessing he likes our field.

Saw an interview with him on Twitter... kid looks like he's 25.

Back