• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

I hope the staff will have a renewed enthusiasm/push to go after in-state prospects given the "personalities" of the other 3 Big Four coaches.
Doeren comes across a little whiney, hang-doggish.
Cutcliffe a little "get off my lawn"-ish
And Mack Brown is so-much yesterday's news.

I'm biased of course, but at no time in my memory of local football has Wake had a coach both this dynamic and in such sharp contrast to his peers. DC might be able to "win" some of the in-home and h.s. coach visits on personality alone.

I would like to bring up a tangent that doesn't get discussed often, the lack of JUCO's the come to Wake. I am not talking grad transfers (What up KJ). We have all heard the arguments before, academics and smaller school allows for fewer risky players. That accompanied with what seems to be a desire to build and improve the talent we have.

But look around the college landscape, Cal Berkeley, a fine in educational institution, recently received a commit from a 4 star JUCO player. State and Eastern both pull in JUCO players pretty regularly. I want to say ND and Northwestern have also dipped their toes in as well, but I can't think of any concrete examples at the moment.

Is it really the size thing or is it a conscious effort to build with what he have? It seems like every year we are going after grad transfers, so it think it may be solely an academic/size issue.

Thoughts?

I would like to bring up a tangent that doesn't get discussed often, the lack of JUCO's the come to Wake. I am not talking grad transfers (What up KJ). We have all heard the arguments before, academics and smaller school allows for fewer risky players. That accompanied with what seems to be a desire to build and improve the talent we have.

But look around the college landscape, Cal Berkeley, a fine in educational institution, recently received a commit from a 4 star JUCO player. State and Eastern both pull in JUCO players pretty regularly. I want to say ND and Northwestern have also dipped their toes in as well, but I can't think of any concrete examples at the moment.

Is it really the size thing or is it a conscious effort to build with what he have? It seems like every year we are going after grad transfers, so it think it may be solely an academic/size issue.

Thoughts?

Wake has policies that have virtually eliminated ALL (not just athletes) JuCo grads from coming to Wake. Wake academics don't recognize juco classes as meeting Wake requirements, so any juco transfer is starting over at Wake. That severely limits Wake as a juco destination.

An additional hurdle for athletes is that they had to have qualified for Wake coming out of HS. That is why some go the post HS grad route to places like Hargrave. That isn't enough for all (Lorng).

Before all the old Carolina alumni coaches at the high school level finish celebrating Mr. Football's return to UNC, better read this---view of one man whose been following the UNC/ACC story for years:
https://www.journalnow.com/sports/c...cle_ad3067cc-58e5-5b35-b818-4813fa73a0e2.html

Wow.
Pretty negative article by Mr. Hardin.
'His second tenure at Carolina likely would be closer to 9 months'
'The reaction around the country has ranged from raised eyebrows to laughing out loud'

When did Kenan lose 10,000 seats....51,000 capacity ?

Removed 10k seats this past offseason due to not being able to fill the place up. Need to remove about 15K more for them to be able to fill it up IMO

Maybe he'll be as good as the last MAC decommit we got.

I like his senior video as well. Seems hard to tackle, great vision and cuts. Speed looks decent too. Really reminds me of Colburn in his build as well.

Losing Colburn this season and Carney next season, it makes sense to bring in two RBs this class.

Once those two are gone it would leave us with only Beal-Smith, Delaney, McKinney. So Flowers and Walker would be welcomed additions with two different styles.

Were any of Beal-Smith, Delaney or McKinney well regarded recruits? Seems our RB recruiting under Clawson was previously strong between Colburn, Carney and Reid.

Beal was reasonably well regarded with Duke and ECU offers. McKinney was previously committed to App correct?

Back