• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

You’ve got a pretty good eye. Watch his sophomore and sr highlights — storyline real similar to Dortch. MVP of recent all star game and consistently gets rave reviews but still no big blowup on the recruit trail. Probably due to height. Like Greg, Ti is 5’8.5

All that aside..he is an electrifying player.

If I had to guess..the remaining possibilities are likely from among Terry, D’Von Ellies and Tremon Morris-Brash

Do we have a shot at Morris-Brash? Who is leading for him?

Doesn't look like Ellies is an option at this point but I don't have much to base that on.

Staff may be looking for a grad guy (or two) in May/June for any available scholarships.

It appears as if Penn State and Ohio State are awaiting other decisions and have some guys on hold..

..and with Morris-Brash it may be the same with Florida and Oklahoma

Last edited:
QB carousel with potential 5 star transfers from GA and AL will have some scholarships in limbo until those guys land. Their landing spots may trigger other transfers.

As with CJ Elmonus..you might see a late Mark Richt and Miami entrance into the Morris-Brash recruitment. Miami has one de commit with grade issues and another leaning to Penn State

As with CJ Elmonus..you might see a late Mark Richt and Miami entrance into the Morris-Brash recruitment. Miami has one de commit with grade issues and another leaning to Penn State
Miami getting mauled in recruiting compared to what they thought they had.

Miami getting mauled in recruiting compared to what they thought they had.
Really have to think Clawson and Co. is putting unexpected pressure on a lot of ACC programs in recruiting arena. Competition knows they have easy shot at the big talent with academic challenges but WF is in the running now with the big talent without academic issues. Duke has been picking up these guys across a national landscape but WF focus is more regionally focused so more noticeable to the competition, IMO.

This last campaign was a breakthrough of sorts.. getting 4 players among the top 6 in NC and SC is a major advance with Elmonus added as the “steal”. Then add a potential (2-3 star) kid who has a real shot at becoming a Stud,Jaylen Hudson,an eastern NC Military kid who wowed the staff at NCSU with a 34” vertical,6’11 wingspan,4.65 40 yard dash and a 6’4-227 pound frame. He has a hulking build so it will be interesting to see where he winds up.

Groulx is his first Top 100 Recruit and Army AA

Clawson seems as if he is on the verge of another jump in recruiting where he lands some nationally coveted “Big Uglies”

Clawson is getting into the pool of recruits from which the traditional football powers get their guys. It will be interesting to see if he can regularly get some guys from there. Linemen on both sides would be helpful for Wake to take the next step up.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Ivan Mora will be playing in the Under Armour All-American game on Jan 3 in Orlando. Not sure if he'll be kicking or punting or both.
Another new Deac getting national recognition.

Neat aspect of the Clawson program is the steady incremental improvement as opposed to a flash in the pan flare up.
With that comes reasonable expectations for improvements in the win column. Not too long ago it would be unreasonable to expect as few as 6 wins but that is the floor now. Plus, an 8 or 9 win season, although unexpected for most, would nonetheless not be shocking.

Deac94, I think there are many who miss your incites on the board. Is it time to start a 2020 recruiting thread?

If I was a parent of quality 3 star football player and Clawson came into my home and pitched Wake, the campus, the program, the ACC, the family atmosphere, and then reminded me that 2nd round pick and 3star Jessie Bates and ? round pick and 2star Greg Dortch both excelled to such a level that were able to leverage their Wake Forest experience into NFL [glory], I would be so sold.

Therefore, I think the development of Groulx and Greene is going to be huge in taking our recruiting to the next level. I believe that developing both simultaneously is going to be a challenge as well. One is likely going to play if not start right away. The other is likely a redshirt year away and even then most likely comes in playing behind a veteran Sage Surratt. If Clawson and WR Coach Kevin Higgins can get both guys fully behind their differing paths and buy into their separate paths to the NFL, then I think it will mean we take an even bigger step in recruiting.

Would really be good if Wake can parlay recent success into higher rated recruits, especially O-line guys. If Anderson and Haynes get more than a cup of coffee in the NFL, that would help. Joe Looney starting for the Cowboys is one to point to. More would be helpful.

Because of my mental laxity it would be great if WF published every Friday a listing of our guys’ games on Sunday during the NFL season. Positions, recent stats, etc. Maybe they do?
I just want to aggressively remind the Duke and Carolina crowd who is playing especially with the retirement of a guy named Peppers.
Funny to think that the ECU and UNC crowd scoffed at Jesse Bates’s confidence in his NFL future. And they have no clue who Looney is. And there are more.

If I was a parent of quality 3 star football player and Clawson came into my home and pitched Wake, the campus, the program, the ACC, the family atmosphere, and then reminded me that 2nd round pick and 3star Jessie Bates and ? round pick and 2star Greg Dortch both excelled to such a level that were able to leverage their Wake Forest experience into NFL [glory], I would be so sold.

Therefore, I think the development of Groulx and Greene is going to be huge in taking our recruiting to the next level. I believe that developing both simultaneously is going to be a challenge as well. One is likely going to play if not start right away. The other is likely a redshirt year away and even then most likely comes in playing behind a veteran Sage Surratt. If Clawson and WR Coach Kevin Higgins can get both guys fully behind their differing paths and buy into their separate paths to the NFL, then I think it will mean we take an even bigger step in recruiting.

Greene was named to the USA Today NC All State second team at WR. Groulx and CJ were first team. Met the fathers of Chase Monroe and Groulx in Birmingham. Nice people. Chase’s knee is ready for spring practice.

Because of my mental laxity it would be great if WF published every Friday a listing of our guys’ games on Sunday during the NFL season. Positions, recent stats, etc. Maybe they do?
I just want to aggressively remind the Duke and Carolina crowd who is playing especially with the retirement of a guy named Peppers.
Funny to think that the ECU and UNC crowd scoffed at Jesse Bates’s confidence in his NFL future. And they have no clue who Looney is. And there are more.

If this list is accurate, there are not that many teams to follow: Bengals, Texans, Raiders, Cowboys, Jags

Wake Forest
PLAYER TEAM POSITION
Jessie Bates Cincinnati Bengals Safety
Tommy Bohanon Jacksonville Jaguars Fullback
Duke Ejiofor Houston Texans Linebacker
Kevin Johnson Houston Texans Cornerback
Marquel Lee Oakland Raiders Linebacker
Joe Looney Dallas Cowboys Center
Kyle Wilber Oakland Raiders Linebacker

I hear ya. However, with Clawson's offense, there should be plenty of offensive snaps for a few guys to get consistent touches when they are playing well. We do need to make sure we can develop enough defensive depth so that it doesn't limit the offensive gameplan.

Back