• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

I watched some of the Grimes hi-light film. So glad we have him but wanted to add. Who is the Millbrook QB and what year? He made some nice throws anticipating where Grimes would be for the completion.

His name is Mason Fortune and he was a sophomore this year, so class of 2024. Not much information on him since the big recruiting services haven't started on that class. I have not heard of QB Hit List, but they have him ranked as the top pro-style quarterback in NC for the class of 2024.

https://qbhitlist.com/qbhl-top-150/?class=2024&style=Pro%2BStyle&state=NC&player

"Mason Fortune" sounds like the name of a rival QB on Friday Night Lights.

I'm certain there will be mistakes in here, but here's a stab at our scholarship situation. If all of the following return (they won't, and while I have guesses I don't know which ones, but I've noted 7 that are more questionable to return than others), we have 91 scholarship players versus our limit of 85. So we need net -6 transfers before the start of the season, and that likely limits our ability to bring in very many pieces from outside, particularly at areas of need (LB, LB, LB, and DT stand out to me). Please correct anything that you believe to be incorrect.

Updated Count: 91
QB (6): Hartman, Kern, Mitch Griffis, Marucci, Edwards, Brett Griffis
RB (6): Claiborne, Ellison, Turner, Cooley, Towns, Carney
WR (12): AT Perry, Donavan Greene, Ke'Shawn Williams, Taylor Morin, Jahmal Banks, Wesley Grimes, Christian Greene, Dez Williams, Horatio Fields, Zavier Simpson (Sch?), Jackson Hensley (Sch?), Jaydn Girard
TE (5): Whiteheart, Michael Frogge, Trey Boll, Cameron Hite, Gavin Ellis
OL (17): Zach Tom (Q), JeVionte Nash, Maginn, Nya, Jurgens, Gordon, Spencer Clapp (Q), Petitbon, CJ Elmonius, Zach Vaughan, Christian Forbes, George Sell, Matt Gulbin, Nick Sharpe, Jaydon Collins, Erik Russell, Derrell Johnson

Special Teams (3): Ivan Mora, Matt Dennis, Jacob Zuhr

DL (16):
DE (8): Bothroyd, Jacory Johns, Jasheen Davis, Kendron Wayman, Isaiah Chaney, BJ Williams, Eli Hall, Jon Saklad (WO?), Royce Francis (Q)
DT (8): Tyler Williams, Kevin Pointer, Kobie Turner, Dion Bergan (Q), Will Smart (Q), Justin Williams, Bernard Gooden, Jalen Swindell

LB (9): Ryan Smenda, Chase Monroe (Q), Chase Jones, Dylan Hazen, Jaylen Hudson, Zach Ranson, Josh Sosanya, Quincy Bryant, Tommy Bebie

DB (17): Coby Davis, Nasir Greer, Zion Keith, Chelan Garnes, Gavin Holmes, Caelen Carson, Malik Mustapha, Nick Anderson, JJ Roberts, Isaiah Wingfield (Q), KJ Trujillo, AJ Williams, Evan Slocum, DaShawn Jones, Zamari Stephenson, Andre Hodge, Jamare Glasker

Assumed moving on: Roberson, Sciba, Vilain, CBS, Terrance Davis
Assumed to be on scholarship in above count (they showed up on recruiting service/class ranks and showed offers from other schools -- but questioned below): Hensley and Simpson
Assumed to be a walk-on in my count (didn't see on any recruiting sites, but question below on status): Jonathan Saklad, Carter Broers

Observations:
1. LB appears to be the weakest position. We haven't recruited a ton there, and 3 of the 9 listed (with 1 additional question mark to return as well) were recruited as DB at least according to recruiting sites. These include Zach Ranson, Josh Sosanya, and Quincy Bryant -- all of which are currently undersized at 212-222 pounds. This year's recruit Tommy Bebie at 200 is also presently undersized. Let's see what another year in the weight room does -- we need a couple to make a leap.
2. Losing full sized and ready-to-play DTs like Fox and Kamara will hurt. Tyler Williams returning is huge for that reason. Update: big get with Kobie Turner as our one incoming transfer thus far. Top 4 of Turner, Pointer, Williams, Bergan would probably be decent, would like to see one more option develop.
3. We are deep/experienced everywhere else. QB, WR, OL look like the three most likely positions to see a transfer, just given how many options we have at those spots.

Added Pointer and Turner, added notes to a few others. Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming.

Last edited:
I believe 2 of your WR are walkons - Hensley and Simpson. The expectation is that Royce Francis and likely Will Smart move on.

Pointer is still on the roster. Isn't Saklad also on scholarship? Alot of those Q's on D are guys who are competing for serious playing time next year. I would be surprised by guys like Trujillo who just transferred here or Will Smart who was working into the rotation transferring.

Swindell is 310 according to Cohen on the signing video plus he’s enrolling early which gives him 8 months in S&C to add to/change his body. Shouldn’t be a size issue for him at all if he is ready to play otherwise.

The two teams in the ACC Championship game have the 12th and 13th ranked recruiting classes in the ACC. Coaching matters.

And somehow Duke pulls the #7 class after going 3-9 and with a new coach. I know we say rankings don't matter, but dammit no way we should trail Duke given the results over the last 4-5 seasons. Maybe this year was an anomaly based on playing opportunity and need.

And somehow Duke pulls the #7 class after going 3-9 and with a new coach. I know we say rankings don't matter, but dammit no way we should trail Duke given the results over the last 4-5 seasons. Maybe this year was an anomaly based on playing opportunity and need.

Wake signed 11 players - 1 four star and 10 three stars. Duke signed 16 three stars.

Signing only 12 players makes it impossible to have a top ranked class. I know I, of all people, shouldn't say this...but settle down. ;)

Signing only 12 players makes it impossible to have a top ranked class. I know I, of all people, shouldn't say this...but settle down. ;)

To me, signing few freshmen and keeping a lot of 5th and 6th year guys says that Clawson is all in for winning in 22.

Not very bold prediction: the 8 experienced guys Clawson mentioned play more minutes/snaps in 22 than the 12 signees.

I'm 68 years old and can still adapt to change. 247 and Rivals are going to disappear. Let's get real. The star system is fucked. I steal your 4 stars next year out of portal after I tamper with you. I take your 5 star next year cuz I can bump his NIL money. The shit we are about to see gonna turn my hair more gray. EVERYTHING has changed.

I'm 68 years old and can still adapt to change. 247 and Rivals are going to disappear. Let's get real. The star system is fucked. I steal your 4 stars next year out of portal after I tamper with you. I take your 5 star next year cuz I can bump his NIL money. The shit we are about to see gonna turn my hair more gray. EVERYTHING has changed.

I don't think Rivals and 247 dissappear soon. They sell stars and ratings to the big fan bases. That won't go away as long as most of the guys they identify as 5 star and high 4 star perform to expectations.

Guys like Clawson, who find late bloomers among the three stars won't impact their business model that much.

Those 3 star guys who blossom can, as you noted, be lured to the bigger schools with playing time promises and now NIL deals. Jamie Newman and Kenny Walker are the opposite ends of the results spectrum for those transfers.

Last edited:
Just pausing to say that list of wide receivers is simply insane. So much talent in that group.

Just pausing to say that list of wide receivers is simply insane. So much talent in that group.

The Higgins Finishing School for wide receivers continues to get more talented guys, with Grimes the latest addition.

Would love for that theme to carry over to both lines, for stsrters.

And playing in an empty stadium. Head scratching.

When you get down to rating 3*s say 82.3 and a 83.4, it gets pretty arbitrary. Player evaluation, development, and motivation are key and WF/Clawson get high grades here and we are way better than Duke and others in the conference. Stars do matter but certainly are no absolute. Hopefully this year and our extended success under Clawson will make us attractive to better and better prospects. Here's hoping we get a really good recruiter as DC staff replacement.

Back