• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Maybe he has an argument on KWIII, but that didn't end well, at least not for Wake.

Why are you the way that you are?

How many WRs have we had that turned out to be way more talented than a 3 star rating?

For real. Wake has a legit NFL pipeline at WR.

For real. Wake has a legit NFL pipeline at WR.

Huh ?
By my count Wake has three WR in the NFL.

Kendall Hinton has 15 catches in two seasons. All of the catches were last year.
Bachman has yet to catch a pass.
Dortch has caught three passes since leaving WF after the 2018 season.

That leaves us with a few other guys TE/WR in camps hoping to make a practice squad: Scotty Washington UFA 2020, Sage Surratt UFA 2021, and Jaquari Roberson UFA 2022

I'm not running any of those guys down, but that's not an NFL pipeline. Maybe they were underrated as 3-stars coming into college. Surratt played at a dinky school and was in the same recruiting class as Devonta Smith, Henry Ruggs, Jerry Jeudy, Tee Higgins, Donovan Peoples-Jones, and CeeDee Lamb. BTW, Waydale Jones was actually ranked ahead of Surratt in that class and is getting ready for his Junior year at Texas State.

And the NFL has tons of guys who were 3-stars coming out of high school.

Why are you the way that you are?

How many WRs have we had that turned out to be way more talented than a 3 star rating?

Way more talented ? None.
Possibly deserving of a 4-star rating coming out of high school based on their development and performance in college ? A couple maybe.

All pro safety Jessie Bates says "go Deacs."

Jessie Bates was a 3-star recruit and redshirted his freshman year at Wake Forest. I would guess that there weren't a lot of 4 or 5-star safeties around the nation who redshirted that year.

Bates also wasn’t even offered until January iirc and was flipped from Toledo. If they really thought he was a 4-5 star coming out of high school that’s a weird way of showing it. Clawson says that stuff because he has and wants to defend his guys. Clawson has also said recently that they can now recruit the type of athlete they weren’t able to before and it’s no coincidence that the guys they are getting now are higher in the rankings.

An NFL pipeline is a consistent flow of Wake WRs into the NFL. That's certainly what we have. Stop running them down because they're not Pro Bowlers. They're in the league and getting a shot.

Attending multiple training camps is not "into the NFL." All of those guys have talent. All of the guys they're competing against have talent too.

Attending multiple training camps is not "into the NFL." All of those guys have talent. All of the guys they're competing against have talent too.

First of all, training camp is certainly part of the pipeline into the NFL. Second, we're talking about guys who been on active rosters and practice squads, Bachman, Dortch, Washington, and Hinton. We'll see if Roberson becomes the next one.

First of all, training camp is certainly part of the pipeline into the NFL. Second, we're talking about guys who been on active rosters and practice squads, Bachman, Dortch, Washington, and Hinton. We'll see if Roberson becomes the next one.

Any good college player can get into an NFL training camp (except Jamie Newman). I just told you the combined career stats for those players. NFL WR is a revolving door. Guys who look great in college routinely don't catch on in the NFL.

Dallas is actually a bit unsettled at the WR position, which helps Roberson's chances, but it's too early to tell what kind of factor he'll be. They have 11 WRs in camp though and Roberson is one of three UFA WRs.

"Second, we're talking about guys who been on active rosters and practice squads, Bachman, Dortch, Washington, and Hinton."

I know you're a UGA fan, but you don't have to shit on Wake to build your UGA cred.

"Second, we're talking about guys who been on active rosters and practice squads, Bachman, Dortch, Washington, and Hinton."

I know you're a UGA fan, but you don't have to shit on Wake to build your UGA cred.

This is a bullshit narrative that does nothing to discredit my argument and you know that Wake is not Wide Receiver U. Pointing out obvious facts neither tears down or builds up much of anything. Why are you quoting yourself ?

If you're telling me a school is a WR pipeline to the NFL, I would assume that they are delivering NFL-ready WRs to the NFL on a consistent basis. Wake Forest has not done that.

The last WR to be drafted by the NFL was Michael Campanaro in the 7th round in 2014.

Last edited:
This is a bullshit narrative that does nothing to discredit my argument and you know that Wake is not Wide Receiver U. Pointing out obvious facts neither tears down or builds up much of anything. Why are you quoting yourself ?

Because you didn't understand what I said.

It's not a bullshit narrative because being a UGA fan colors your entire perspective on college football. It's why you can't understand that a simple statement like Wake has a pipeline to the NFL doesn't make Wake is "Wide Receiver U." "Wide Receiver U" implies a program is among the top programs at sending top WRs to the NFL. A "pipeline" simply means that best WRs from a team go to the NFL which is exactly what is happening.

Okay, I agree that Wake Forest is sending a good number WRs with marginal NFL talent to NFL training camps. If you think that's a pipeline to the NFL, that's fine.

What else do you think a pipeline is?

Pipelines deliver what you need in a generally usable form without having to develop it for three years while you're constantly combing the waiver wire looking for something preferable.

Alabama has a NFL WR pipeline.

WFU has an NFL WR garden hose.

Both produce something good. But they are not equivalent delivery systems.

No. A pipeline in education and careers is a viable and reliable pathway from an educational institution into a specific job.

LOL, okay. Then you've definitely confirmed that WFU is not an NFL WR pipeline.

Back