• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Nah. Cam’s writeup on 247 said he had other offers.

Spot the D1 player.

My hat is always off to folks that are excellent evaluators of talent in recruiting. It's so hard to spot players that can compete at the next level, because most players worthy of a scholarship are just obviously better than everyone they play with most nights.

I remember when Hilee Taylor who was a decent college player and had a few cups of coffee in the league was playing for Scotland High (a couple years behind me in school), and it just looked unfair when we lined up against guys like 78 in this photo. You could spot him on the field in a millisecond. Just built different. All that to say nothing about a guy like Zamir White who looked and played like Bo Jackson as a freshman.

1684412216388.png

Last edited:
It's not that hard to say a 6-6/180 kid with good high school basketball stats could develop into P5 WR. But a program has to have the patience, experience, and confidence to use that scholarship. Wake does.

It's not that hard to say a 6-6/180 kid with good high school basketball stats could develop into P5 WR. But a program has to have the patience, experience, and confidence to use that scholarship. Wake does.
Wake also has a track record of doing exactly that. Also, getting guys like that from 3* to fringe NFL.

That's precisely what I said.

Have to imagine the staff feels really confident in this kid to take him with the way the rest of this class is shaping up.

I've been following as I can. Are we seriously in the top15 for the 2024 recruiting classes? I defer to those who follow much more closely than I have.

I've been following as I can. Are we seriously in the top15 for the 2024 recruiting classes? I defer to those who follow much more closely than I have.
Wake got a lot of commits early. Rankings are based on total stars of all committed recruits.

E.g. 15 three stars = 45.
Four 5 star + three 4 star guys = 32.

However, the team with only 7 guys committed so far will add more over the summer and pass Wake.

The good news is that Wake getting early commits means the coaches are more likely to have gotten their first choice guys. Recruits who were lower priority don't get to commit early.

Yeah. I don’t know if you checked the rankings before that but 247 had Wake #13 with 14 3* out of 17 recruits and Alabama #17 with 3 5* and 4 3*.

But UNC is right behind us with 13 commits, 1 4* and 12 3* so that’s pretty good. I think there’s a shot we could have a top 40 class if it’s a big class.

Some great quotes here:

"The stableness in the coaching staff," Hewlett said. "Their ability and success of producing quarterbacks. The success in the offense, definitely one of the most consistent offenses in the ACC. The facilities are amazing. I don't think a lot of people realize that. The facilities are as good as anywhere in the country. It's a beautiful campus. They don't lie to you in recruiting. A lot of schools lie to you in recruiting. Wake Forest is genuine. I love the coaching staff."

"It's super exciting," Hewlett said. "They definitely make me feel confident in going there. The teamwork they've done with quarterbacks the last five, six years was amazing. What they did with Sam Hartman was great. John Wolford as well. They've completely took Wake Forest and turned them into an amazing team every single year, a Top 25 team and they've only gotten better and upgraded the facilities."

Hewlett loves the culture as well.

"They had the second fewest people enter the transfer portal which shows how happy people are being at the school and on the football team, Hewlett said.

His dad is Brock Purdy's private QB coach.

Looks like a good pickup. Listed at 6-1 175 so already decent size.

Will Hewlett
FATHER
QB trainer based out of Jacksonville area that has worked with Brock Purdy, Ian Book and Anthony Richardson.

Gotta like that.

Lots to like about having a guy like Locklan Hewlett be the first commit. Great to have the QB early in the class. That means he was Wake staff first choice. Given his father's situation, he had a good basis for evaluating Wake, both facilities and staff.

That should encourage guys at other positions to respond favorably to Wake staff. The keystone for the class is in place.

Back