• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

"Lectro always entertaining. Also professor emeritus of the sunshine brigade. If you like reading every Wake recruit is a potential Heisman candidate, he is your man. If you keep this in perspective, not a bad guy to have back on the boards."

Day 1 for the return of Bandwagon Boy watch..........

Can someone explain to me what it means when you see a football team posing for photo and they're grabbing their lip or inner mouth with their fingers...Almost like a fishhook, if you will.

What does this symbolize and why do they do it?

#freekodak and it's at least a year old

Big Mike Edwards received the lone N.C. Team accolade on day one (from the official Shrine fb Page)

The only guy thus far who has been able to block AA DT Rick Sandidge.

Edwards is clearly one of the top 7-8 players in North Carolina but when you commit early to Wake...

4 Star player with 5 Star potential — 6’6.5 and 345

Welcome, back!!

I like sunshine!!

For those worried about stars the two commits for 2019 both look to be four star players if they don't get hit with the Wake lowering of stars. Great start to next years recruiting. As I have seen Mr. Clark play I am very excited to see his line forming in the 19 class.

The more I look at our 2018 class, the more excited I get. That includes the flurry of recent commits.

However, I am getting even more pumped for 2019. I think this will be our 'breakout' class and take us to another level.
We have a great start with Brendon Clark and Triston Miller.
Hang on and enjoy!

Dion Bergan got "bumped up" on 247 to a three star on 247, according to his Twitter.

Worst posting again, though.

Nice. He tweeted this from Dion Bergan.

Didn't Curry criticize Grobe's recruiting as "political?"

"Lectro always entertaining. Also professor emeritus of the sunshine brigade. If you like reading every Wake recruit is a potential Heisman candidate, he is your man. If you keep this in perspective, not a bad guy to have back on the boards."

Day 1 for the return of Bandwagon Boy watch..........

Step 1 - identified on parody thread?

Clawson always has an interesting head tilt in all of his recruit pictures.

Maybe it's an adaptation to continually taking pictures with boys and men who are bigger and taller than him.

There may have been a tinge of that. I mainly recall him talking about not going after real 'ballers. But that was a while ago, so...

I remember us trying to figure out specifically what he meant.

Here's a post I made over 6 years ago recalling that quote.

Interesting insight about Hunt and Simmons.

I'm not sure Curry said "lazy". Perhaps pourman added that in. Curry called it "political recruiting" or something like that. In the thread about it, the interpretation I liked was that Curry was criticizing Grobe for following up the FRESH DEACS by taking "system" players from good HS programs who may not have much higher of a ceiling compared to raw talents from NC or Pahokee players who chase rabbits.

My personal take is that the star of our defense in '04 and '05 was Abbate and Grobe was looking for more players who fit that mold. They may not be the tallest or fastest but they can make plays. The problem was our short stocky LBs didn't really make plays. They didn't have the Abbate-like instincts and sure tackling ability. Instead, they were just slow. Of course, with time our staff saw that while Abbate was a definitely good player, the money players were Curry and Arnoux, athletes who had worked their way to having a good combination of size and speed who also had the instincts and tackling ability. Problem is those players don't grow on trees and it's hard to tell which 6-3, 195 high schools LBs will be beasts after a redshirt year. Of course, that's exactly what they get paid to do. It may have been "easier" to find and recruit players in the Abbate mold. We'll see how many guys have now who are in the Curry/Arnoux mold.

Please keep your response respectful and on-topic. We're all Deacon fans here.

Here's another discussion about it from a few months later.
http://www.ogboards.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-9517.html

Back